Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 98

Author Topic: Fight to the death the second: Round two  (Read 84046 times)

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fight to the death the second: Round two: Razor VS Alien
« Reply #975 on: November 04, 2010, 09:40:06 am »

He doesn't have a one in eight chance, he has a one in fifteen chance. It looks like the mask also restricts his vision greatly, especially the peripheral vision, and possible his hearing a bit. That would be a major disadvantage. Sacrificing all that for a one in fifteen chance of it maybe paying off is not something that he would be inclined to do.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: November 04, 2010, 11:08:26 am »

The alien, in my opinion, would definately win if it could get into melee range without being seen.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: November 04, 2010, 03:17:55 pm »

He doesn't have a one in eight chance, he has a one in fifteen chance. It looks like the mask also restricts his vision greatly, especially the peripheral vision, and possible his hearing a bit. That would be a major disadvantage. Sacrificing all that for a one in fifteen chance of it maybe paying off is not something that he would be inclined to do.

If Razor's such the gadgeteer, could he not incorporate a better helm/mask so that these would not be concerns? If he could do that, then upgrading to the armor would be very, very much worth it.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: November 04, 2010, 03:56:15 pm »

I assume this will go like this

Since aliens NEVER atleast i havent seen in the movies go in open terrain he would head straight for the jungle, While razor can do the same but he may not do it. There are now a few possible outcomes
1. Alien sees Razor in the jungles and manages to sneak behind him and impale him with his tail or leap strike him while his second mouth eats his brains out
2. Razor sees alien in the jungles and alien leaps on him, but razor incapitates him with hand to hand combat or some close range weapon
3. Razor decides not to go into the jungles but to stay on the open field, however he now will have problems with food while the alien has plenty of food in the jungles so he will starve to death
4. Razor falls asleep and alien kills him in his sleep
5. Razor manages to trick the alien to come out of the jungle and blast him with long range weaponry

there are ofcourse a lot of other outcomes but i narrowed them down to the most possible, and i will think that 1,3 or 5 will happen.
But in terms of survival aliens wins this hands down, aliens dont need to eat and can wait in a place for a long long time, the arent also stupid enough to charge razor. And there is always the night which is also a bad thing for razor again.

So i think that alien will most likely win this one

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: November 04, 2010, 05:00:18 pm »

*cough-cough*
NBC suit. Razor would know that he would have a one-in-eight chance of going up against the Alien, and I don't see why he wouldn't be prepared for that possibility.
Its 1 in 16 as someone pointed out, so he probably wouldn't take it. lets say your playing a game, and you get to pick and equip one of two items, one gives +50 attack and defense against werewolves (with a 2% spawn chance) but -1 against everything else, while the other gives +1 against everything
While your fighting a werewolf you would argue that of course you have that item equiped, but i really doubt that you would.

Now, before you say he wouldn't have that sort of thing, keep in mind that this is a guy with a high intellect - he could probably make his own NBC suit that would work better than one he could buy.
If im not wrong, i think he's a mechanic, and makes awsome gadgets and cars and stuff, this seems like a bit of a different feild of study (but ill assume that he is able to buy or get a millitary grade NBC suit if he really wanted too). Also, in the time he has i doubt he would prioritize a 1/15 chance item.
Also, your argument for the suit slowing reaction time is invalid - most environment suits, especially NBC suits, are specifically designed to maximize the user's movement range while offering the required amount of protection.
Armor was designed to minimize weight and maximize protection, but a guy in leather armor is faster and is better able to react then a guy plate mail, and while platemail is better for combat, it is also slower.
And did you look at the wikipedia picture of the suit? It seems pretty bulky and cumbersome to me, yeah they have no problem shooting a gun or running, but it would be a serious disadvangage in melee, and perception as well.
the suit would mess with your: hearing, range of vision and your sence of smell, making it troublesome for anyone not needing it.

And again, the Alien's acid is meant for blinding, the likelihood that the alien would spit on Razor's chest first is extremely low. You also completely discount liquid dynamics - when the acid hits his goggles, there will be some splash, yes, but as the spit is designed specifically for blinding, the shape of the spitting organ would be optimized to maximize the amount of acid in the eyes and minimize acid that lands elsewhere.
If i got a anti tank missle weapon and i shot it at you, you would die even if it wasn't designed for anti-personal use. Likewise the acid WILL BURN THROUGH YOUR FACE (as metal>face and acid burns through metal). Also, the acid isn't really designed for blinding, its designed to eat through anything, which includes all your fleshy parts.
Spitting acid in your eyes will blind you by virtue of eating through your face and eyes, so i doubt the alien would have perfect pinpoint accuracy because its not needed.
And not very much acid needs to miss the goggles (and i think at least 50% would) you for it to burn through your face cause serious damage.

Another reason to wear the NBC suit is that it incorporates medium-strength armor - it's designed to keep soldiers safe from NBC threats while in active battle.
Armor is better in every aspect at being armor then a NBC suit. Also, does Razor (ever) wear armor? he fights alot, and knows he fights often, if he would wear it during the regular show i would agree that he would bring it with him, but he doesn't (ever?) wear armor.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: November 04, 2010, 05:04:28 pm »

If he's such a great gadgeteer then why doesn't he make an everything killing machine that kills everything except him? Exactly.

In my opinion then the alien would win, due to the fact that it kills an entire ship of space marines in the first movie and a colonized planet in the second one (Although, it did have the advantage of a queen there and there was more than one). The alien would likely hide until night before stalking it's way through the island and finding razor while he sleeps and killing him. There is no way whatsoever that Razor could win up close, as the alien's increased speed, agility and strength would give it such a major advantage that it would inevitably win. The acid blood and spit would also give it a major advantage at medium range and closer, with the acid easily being capable of burning through a puny evo suit (it melts through several floors of metal space ship!). The only possible way the Razor could win is if he shot him or something at long range with armour piercing rounds, although I doubt that this would happen due to the alien's ability to hide and his incredible speed.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: November 04, 2010, 05:08:49 pm »

In the first movie it killed a bunch of scientists. And almost a cat.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: November 04, 2010, 05:22:06 pm »

And in the second a bunch of space marines killed a shitton of them. In both they were ultimate defeated by a civilian running on rage and improvised equipment.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: November 04, 2010, 05:55:11 pm »

If he's such a great gadgeteer then why doesn't he make an everything killing machine that kills everything except him? Exactly.

Your comparison falls even flatter than most normally do. A suit that gives him protection that increases survival odds in most situations, and will likely save his life in one particular situation, is something he would have the resources and the motivation to craft. It wouldn't even be that hard if he had the materials.

In my opinion then the alien would win, due to the fact that it kills an entire ship of space marines in the first movie
No, it killed some scientists, and was defeated by a lone woman.

and a colonized planet in the second one (Although, it did have the advantage of a queen there and there was more than one).
Thank you for explaining yourself why that means nothing. Killing civilians does not equate to killing a trigger happy genius inventor/vigilante with enough weapons to make the military green with envy. And even though the Aliens did "win" at first, they lost... HOW many drones? And yet again, beaten by one woman improvising weapons. Razor is arguably more competent than her, and better armed, so how would he lose here?

The alien would likely hide until night before stalking it's way through the island and finding razor while he sleeps and killing him.
Motion tracker says "Nuts to that." Razor would detect both the fact that the Alien was coming, and from what direction. The Alien was smart, but didn't really seem to care if its foe was awake or asleep. It'd be coming sooner than nightfall.

There is no way whatsoever that Razor could win up close, as the alien's increased speed, agility and strength would give it such a major advantage that it would inevitably win.
Except Razor is an agile cat-human highly proficient in martial arts. In case you're not familiar with them, most martial arts give you a boon in that you use your speed to your advantage. Fighting an Alien wouldn't be that hard, as Razor would be about as fast, have the training to deal with multiple attackers (thus, multiple limbs) and when going up against most fighting styles strength doesn't mean shit.

The acid blood and spit would also give it a major advantage at medium range and closer, with the acid easily being capable of burning through a puny evo suit (it melts through several floors of metal space ship!).
Let me explain something: When has an Alien's spit NOT worked? Never, right? The Alien thinks the same thing. After it spits, it's not going to think "Okay, now I wait and see if it works." It's going to think "Experience says this always works, so move in and killkillkill." It's basic psychology. When that spit hits and starts burning, Razor's going to flip and rip that shit right off. Now, he's down a suit and maybe goggles, but he's still relatively unharmed, and now the Alien's charging straight at him like an idiot, leaving him open for Razor to deal a killing blow.

The only possible way the Razor could win is if he shot him or something at long range with armour piercing rounds, although I doubt that this would happen due to the alien's ability to hide and his incredible speed.

Razor can be just as fast, excluding when running, he has the skills to stay alive in melee, and his weapons guarantee him the match at longer ranges.

I'd respond to lemon, but he's honestly stopped making sense. He just repeats the same thing with a slightly different wording every time, and I've already refuted that stuff. But just in case ed boy misses my post and sees lemon's, let me answer that first thing right now since it's kind of new:

Armor will protect him from most people well, but do jack shit against other people. An evo suit would give him greater protection than normal against most people and almost certainly save him against an alien. It's not a case of +50 versus werewolves and -1 to everything else, versus +1 to everything.

It's a case of +1 to everything but +5 versus Werewolves, versus +5 to everything, but -10 against Aliens.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: November 04, 2010, 06:11:37 pm »

It is my opinion that Razor would be more likely to create a suit of body armor, rather than an advanced environment suit.

Also, how much would Razor actually know about the alien?
I've never seen the movie, but I am under the assumption that normal civilians would not have a large amount of information about the xenomorphs.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: November 04, 2010, 06:18:23 pm »

Also, how much would Razor actually know about the alien?
I've never seen the movie, but I am under the assumption that normal civilians would not have a large amount of information about the xenomorphs.

This forum needs a facepalm smiley. All characters are given a bunch of info on every other combatant to research during their 3-day breaks. What did you think those were for if not for research?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: November 04, 2010, 06:39:48 pm »

The characters are capeble of researching their opponents at a level equal to that of a normal citizen from the other's universes.

The example that the thread creator gave was that someone facing Batman would be able to research Batman at the level of a Gotham residant, to know about some of his more widely-known gadgets, but nothing like his secret identity.

EDIT: Found his post:
The rate of information gathering is the same as the average citizen in the world. For example, if someone wanted to spend two hours researching batman, they would be able to find as much information as the average gotham city resident would be able to find in that time.

Which does beg the question, how well-known are shields in the dune universe?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 06:44:05 pm by FuzzyZergling »

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: November 04, 2010, 06:47:13 pm »

The characters are capeble of researching their opponents at a level equal to that of a normal citizen from the other's universes.

The example that the thread creator gave was that someone facing Batman would be able to research Batman at the level of a Gotham residant, to know about some of his more widely-known gadgets, but nothing like his secret identity.

EDIT: Found his post:
The rate of information gathering is the same as the average citizen in the world. For example, if someone wanted to spend two hours researching batman, they would be able to find as much information as the average gotham city resident would be able to find in that time.

Which does beg the question, how well-known are shields in the dune universe?

Hm. Well, that's kind of... odd, in my opinion. Doesn't that give some characters ludicrous advantages simply due to being total wildcards?

Regardless, so long as the mega-corps aren't censoring the info on the Aliens (and if they are, well fuck that) the average citizen should be able to find out most of what we know, save the super-vision and maybe the more minute details, such as gaining sentience when alone.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #988 on: November 04, 2010, 06:48:36 pm »

Armor will protect him from most people well, but do jack shit against other people. An evo suit would give him greater protection than normal against most people and almost certainly save him against an alien. It's not a case of +50 versus werewolves and -1 to everything else, versus +1 to everything.

It's a case of +1 to everything but +5 versus Werewolves, versus +5 to everything, but -10 against Werewolves.

My point exactly. I'm done responding to lemon10 as well, and you've made my point for me vs. Omegastick. Fixed the analogy too.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: November 04, 2010, 06:56:14 pm »

If info on the aliens is readily available why do people always die to them the same ways?
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 98