Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 98

Author Topic: Fight to the death the second: Round two  (Read 84076 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fight to the death the second: Round two: Roland Deschain VS Static
« Reply #855 on: November 01, 2010, 01:29:42 am »

The noise will tell Roland where static is, once you know where they are it isn't difficult to engineer a situation in which you can see your opponent. The point is that there is a massive likelihood that the battle proper will commence with Roland making a careful shot against an unaware Static.
As for guns, a superhero's luck never needs to run out, and there is still no evidence to suggest that Static has any defence against them. Maybe guns are just really expensive in their world and nobody but named villains can afford them...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: November 01, 2010, 04:25:48 am »

Keep in mind that when roland fires, He's probably going to be giving away his rough position. Once static knows his rough position, then he can pull all sorts of freaky electromagnetic shit in that area, and eliminate roland (If he is able to).

Also keep in mind that static would be moving overhead at quite a pace. Even if roland hears him coming, he wouldn't have much time before static would be out of range. Certainly not enough time to scale a tree, sneakily make his way through the canopy, take aim and fire.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: November 01, 2010, 04:39:07 am »

Static won't be speeding along too fast if he actually intends to find his opponent.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: November 01, 2010, 04:58:47 am »

And Roland won't be firing without a good shot. But, if they get into a fair fight, can a mysteriously accurate pistol defeat a flying lightning launcher?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: November 01, 2010, 05:23:21 am »

Well, Static sure won't be able to hear the shots, and even if he sees the flashes he's not going to have much of a time to react. It's pretty much a given that Roland will be firing first, so the only question is whether or not him getting a killing (or sufficiently debilitating) shot on Static is probable enough so as to leave Static no real chance to properly counterattack before both .45 revolvers are emptied into him. Given the differences here, I think it's probable enough. If the first shot knocks Static off his flying disc, by the time he hits the ground he'll have at least two more bullets sitting in him, if "almost superhuman" accuracy of Roland's is really that good.

To sum the fight up, with all we've gathered so far, Static will spend his time trying to find Roland from the sky, while Roland will spend his time following Static's movements and waiting for a sure shot. It's far more likely that Roland will get a chance to line up a shot before being spotted than the reverse. Therefore, Roland would win here.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 05:26:26 am by Sean Mirrsen »

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: November 01, 2010, 12:52:04 pm »

I think that Roland has the advantage here.
Static, being based around electricity, likely makes sparks/lightning while flying. This would alert Roland, who blends into a jungle better in his wasteland clothes than Static in his superhero/city streets clothes.

Also, are we using Roland before or after he loses some of his fingers?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: November 01, 2010, 01:29:55 pm »

The only advantage he has before losing his fingers is the ability to rapidly reload. It won't make too much difference here, so I suppose we can go with the fully-fingered version.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #862 on: November 01, 2010, 02:53:26 pm »

I like Static a lot - guy's cool - but I don't think he'll beat Roland. Why? Environment.

Static's combat powers, and Static himself, depend on there being metal he can manipulate. Unless the island has a grid of metal no more than ten feet down and plenty of metallic debris, Static will have a very hard time fighting Roland, and will probably lose.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: November 01, 2010, 03:22:27 pm »

I like Static a lot - guy's cool - but I don't think he'll beat Roland. Why? Environment.

Static's combat powers, and Static himself, depend on there being metal he can manipulate. Unless the island has a grid of metal no more than ten feet down and plenty of metallic debris, Static will have a very hard time fighting Roland, and will probably lose.

The only metal Static needs is located within Roland's guns. I wonder if Static is capable of making a general "net" of electromagnetism and just lifting anything it catches into the air. If something like that worked, he'd be able to just go fishing for Roland's gun.

Also, Static is capable of shooting lightning apparently, as in the link shown before he shoots multiple bolts at Batman (Beyond) and even though only one hits it still does enough damage to make sure Static could have gotten in a killing blow if he felt like it.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #864 on: November 01, 2010, 06:48:02 pm »

I'm awre that there will be metal he can use, and that he can use his powers without metal. He will, however, be at a severe disadvantage because he will have to use his powers in ways he is not used to using them. It will be easier for Ronald to get used to the island, and that could be the deciding factor between the two.

Static is good at improvisation, but he's a city boy and is completely unused to the environment.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: November 01, 2010, 07:18:45 pm »

I'm awre that there will be metal he can use, and that he can use his powers without metal. He will, however, be at a severe disadvantage because he will have to use his powers in ways he is not used to using them. It will be easier for Ronald to get used to the island, and that could be the deciding factor between the two.

Static is good at improvisation, but he's a city boy and is completely unused to the environment.

True, but you seem to think that Static's disadvantage will be family comedy movie levels of incompetence. There may be some shock in adjusting, but keep in mind that Static has already fought on the island once. He most likely knows the basic layout, and the techniques that work best there; and if he were proactive at the moment would have learned a few tricks about the place he could exploit later.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: November 01, 2010, 07:38:47 pm »

Got a nice explanation on that account-we *have* to use the version of Roland with both hands intact. See in the final book...

Warning! Ending spoilers!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: November 01, 2010, 07:44:10 pm »

True, but you seem to think that Static's disadvantage will be family comedy movie levels of incompetence. There may be some shock in adjusting
I see what you did there.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: November 01, 2010, 07:45:29 pm »

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: November 01, 2010, 08:04:10 pm »

Got a nice explanation on that account-we *have* to use the version of Roland with both hands intact. See in the final book...

Warning! Ending spoilers!

Responding to what dwarm said, so obviously spoilers

Also, Roland would just wait till static lands (since he can't fly forever and he has to recharge), then shoot him when he isn't flying and is resting since he would be able to figure out where he is by the noise of his landing and watching him go down.
And although i don't know about static, i know that roland is a good tracker, i suspect that static is a terrible one, and would have trouble finding roland first.
and finally, i doubt that static would ever be able to find roland from the air due to the apparently omnipresent tree coverage.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 98