Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 98

Author Topic: Fight to the death the second: Round two  (Read 84084 times)

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
Re: Fight to the death the second: Round two: Roland Deschain VS Static
« Reply #840 on: October 31, 2010, 11:26:46 am »

Of course Static didn't die in the comics; he was the hero. If you kill him, who is going to be the main character?
Oh, not this bullshit again. Listen, that stupid rule applies to pretty much everyone in this competition, just as much to Roland as it does to Static. So stop saying that and look at it from an in-universe perspective, because if you're going to metagame like this every match it's just going to be an irritating slog through whatever new complaint you've got.

Static didn't die from our perspective because he's the title character. But if you look at it from the in-universe perspective (which, to my knowledge, was kind of the point) he didn't die because he was somewhat lucky and a hero skilled enough to figure out how to not get shot.

If the jungle is thick enough to prevent Static from seeing Roland, and earlier on stop a GDI disc thrower from getting any accurate shots in, chances are it would at least force Roland to take more careful aim. A fast-flying target would be somewhat difficult to hit on its own, but in a thick jungle it would take superhuman aim to even have a chance at hitting him with a weapon as dodgy as a revolver.

As for Barb's more legitimate question asked just a moment ago, I don't think any specific number has ever been given. How much power would it take to pick up that giant coin in the Batcave at 20 meters and roll it that distance in something close to two seconds? Because that's the thing that sticks out in my mind, but maybe there's a better example somewhere.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: October 31, 2010, 11:31:57 am »

Also, keep in mind that the canopy of the forest would be pretty thick, there's hardly going to be any visibility between those above it and those below.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: October 31, 2010, 06:48:36 pm »

he didn't die because he was somewhat lucky and a hero skilled enough to figure out how to not get shot.
7. The character must NOT rely heavily on luck.
As a super-hero protagonist that luck factor is crazy high. Your argument is that he doesn't get shot, therefore he is resistant to it, that is the metagaming. If someone can site an example of bullets being deflected, slowed, stopped, repelled, resisted, and/or anything else, then that would be a valid point. Just saying that it doesn't happen is pretty much meaningless.
I will concede that they are pretty good at dodging a known threat if they are prepared for it.

How much power would it take to pick up that giant coin in the Batcave at 20 meters and roll it that distance in something close to two seconds? Because that's the thing that sticks out in my mind, but maybe there's a better example somewhere.

That is magnetism, and rolling, it really isn't all that impressive compared to shooting lightning, which has all manner of issues and really ought to be impossible on a couple of different levels. I think that we have to just accept that their lightning works differently, and call it a form of magic that can be brought into the world.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: October 31, 2010, 07:01:22 pm »

he didn't die because he was somewhat lucky and a hero skilled enough to figure out how to not get shot.
7. The character must NOT rely heavily on luck.
As a super-hero protagonist that luck factor is crazy high. Your argument is that he doesn't get shot, therefore he is resistant to it, that is the metagaming. If someone can site an example of bullets being deflected, slowed, stopped, repelled, resisted, and/or anything else, then that would be a valid point. Just saying that it doesn't happen is pretty much meaningless.
I will concede that they are pretty good at dodging a known threat if they are prepared for it.
I'm just going to say it. RAM, when it comes to twisting people's words into monstrosities that don't even resemble their original selves, and then acting like a douchebag attempting to throw them in the speaker's face, you are almost as bad as Barbarossa. Almost. I'm beginning to suspect that you people's nonsensical reactions are somehow rooted in the old D&D campaigns we played.

Just because someone is a little lucky, that doesn't mean they're some damn leprechaun. Anyone that comes through a firefight without getting hit can be described as "somewhat lucky". All I'm saying is, Static goes through a whole super-heroing career and never receives a gunshot wound that's capable of crippling his physical capabilities. That is the definition of lucky. But even luck runs out, there has to be something besides that or else he'd be dead a hundred times over. Another thing that's worth mentioning is that Static Shock was a cartoon. I'm amazed they were even allowed to show gangs, if they showed people shooting at Static on a regular basis they'd have been ripped to shreds by the moral guardians. So instead let's think about this this logically: Metal weapons and bullets versus a person who can magnetize and move metal at will. Citation or not, it's pretty obvious what's going to happen.

How much power would it take to pick up that giant coin in the Batcave at 20 meters and roll it that distance in something close to two seconds? Because that's the thing that sticks out in my mind, but maybe there's a better example somewhere.

That is magnetism, and rolling, it really isn't all that impressive compared to shooting lightning, which has all manner of issues and really ought to be impossible on a couple of different levels. I think that we have to just accept that their lightning works differently, and call it a form of magic that can be brought into the world.

This is a contest with a robot that can punch people at 1,000,000 horsepower, an acid-bleeding hive mind predator that has all the powers of Spider-Man, a demonic roadie armed with a giant axe and the power of heavy metal, a telepathic half-bunny girl, a giant purple dinosaur, a man who can transmute objects by punching them, a 13-year old boy with hammers capable of manipulating time, and The Lord of the Rings . Don't start bringing logic into this now.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: October 31, 2010, 07:14:09 pm »

1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHvhiPCaeoQ Yes, Static can fire lightning.

2: Notice that he's FREAKING LOUD? I get that in a straight-up fight Static would be able to overpower Roland, but he's:
a) Flying
b) Shining
c) Loud
d) Purple

He couldn't be more obvious if he yelled at the top of his lungs as he flew. But because he doesn't know who's in his round, flying is the method he'd probably default to. Meaning he'd likely get shot at the start of the engagement, with Roland taking as much time as he likes to line it up.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: October 31, 2010, 07:21:00 pm »

2: Notice that he's FREAKING LOUD? I get that in a straight-up fight Static would be able to overpower Roland, but he's:
a) Flying
b) Shining
c) Loud
d) Purple

He couldn't be more obvious if he yelled at the top of his lungs as he flew. But because he doesn't know who's in his round, flying is the method he'd probably default to. Meaning he'd likely get shot at the start of the engagement, with Roland taking as much time as he likes to line it up.

Don't ignore the whole canopy thing, considering it was stated by ed boy himself.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: October 31, 2010, 07:23:08 pm »

a) Flying
b) Shining
c) Loud
d) Purple

Don't ignore the whole canopy thing, considering it was stated by ed boy himself.

:I
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: October 31, 2010, 07:24:51 pm »

He can be as loud as he wants, but Roland has superhuman aim, not ears. You can't exactly pinpoint a shot by sound alone when you're outside.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: October 31, 2010, 07:25:02 pm »

a) Flying
b) Shining
c) Loud
d) Purple

:I

So him making noise let's Roland accurately shoot him, despite the canopy blocking his view?

Ninja'd
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: October 31, 2010, 07:29:10 pm »

I haven't read Roland's source so I can't say what he can or can't do, but yeah. The main point is that Roland is almost certain to initiate combat, however it happens.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: October 31, 2010, 07:33:00 pm »

I haven't read Roland's source so I can't say what he can or can't do, but yeah. The main point is that Roland is almost certain to initiate combat, however it happens.

Well if he initiates combat by firing wildly into the canopy as soon as he hears Static, I can guess who's going to come out on top...

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: October 31, 2010, 08:04:28 pm »

It's a good thing that's in any way what I implied he'd do.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: October 31, 2010, 09:04:26 pm »

If Static's flying and Roland initiates combat, I assume that's more or less how it will begin.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: October 31, 2010, 09:57:25 pm »

Or seeking out a position where he's likely to land or following him or attempting to gain high ground somewhere....
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: October 31, 2010, 10:41:45 pm »

I'm just going to say it. RAM, when it comes to twisting people's words into monstrosities that don't even resemble their original selves, and then acting like a douchebag attempting to throw them in the speaker's face, you are almost as bad as Barbarossa. Almost.
You do know that this is a game, right? There's no need to hurt anyone's feelings.

Don't start bringing logic into this now.
This in response to a question on how well he can shoot straight-up lightning? Static normally used electromagnetism. I wanted to know if he could use a straight lightning bolt to electrocute Roland in any range that Roland could shoot from. You're making it sound like I was trying to make Static sound like an impossibility.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 98