Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 98

Author Topic: Fight to the death the second: Round two  (Read 84065 times)

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fight to the death the second: Round one: Paul Atreides VS Ezio Auditore
« Reply #825 on: October 31, 2010, 12:53:39 am »

Seriously, the Wierding way or whatever it's called is bad enough as it is, but the shield combined with it makes it somewhat cheap. Apparently he becomes vulnerable when he's too fast to track? How exactly does that make it a fair contest? Just take away the shield and it would be a fair contest. Hell, Ezio could probably win at that point if it came to direct combat.

EDIT: Actually, would Eagle Vision allow Ezio to track Paul?

Let's not misinterpret each other- he's proposing the shield gets nerfed so that he can only move as fast as it'll allow matter to pass through it while he has it on; that is, 6-9cm/sec. That means that he'd have to actually drop the shield before doing his super-kung-fu, which makes him (marginally) more vulnerable.
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: October 31, 2010, 12:57:28 am »

Seriously, the Wierding way or whatever it's called is bad enough as it is, but the shield combined with it makes it somewhat cheap. Apparently he becomes vulnerable when he's too fast to track? How exactly does that make it a fair contest? Just take away the shield and it would be a fair contest. Hell, Ezio could probably win at that point if it came to direct combat.

EDIT: Actually, would Eagle Vision allow Ezio to track Paul?

Let's not misinterpret each other- he's proposing the shield gets nerfed so that he can only move as fast as it'll allow matter to pass through it while he has it on; that is, 6-9cm/sec. That means that he'd have to actually drop the shield before doing his super-kung-fu, which makes him (marginally) more vulnerable.

How quickly can it be brought back up? Is there a button, a charge time, is it all by thought?
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: October 31, 2010, 01:00:59 am »

The Holtzmann Shield isn't a constant, it's not either there or not. When you turn it on, it strengthens for a few seconds before reaching its normal level, and does the opposite when you power it down. A shield turned on as a quick response might slow a bullet, for example, but it wouldn't stop it unless it were almost fully on.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: October 31, 2010, 01:15:24 am »

The Holtzmann Shield isn't a constant, it's not either there or not. When you turn it on, it strengthens for a few seconds before reaching its normal level, and does the opposite when you power it down. A shield turned on as a quick response might slow a bullet, for example, but it wouldn't stop it unless it were almost fully on.

Now what about a sword swing from the 80% of the people in this contest who won't be using bullets?
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: October 31, 2010, 01:21:37 am »

The bullet was an example. It'd work the same for any object.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fight to the death the second
« Reply #830 on: October 31, 2010, 04:29:22 am »

Though it pains me to do this, I'm going to have to disqualify Paul for being too overpowered.

START OF ROUND 2

Next match:Roland Deschain VS Static

Spoiler: tree (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 07:08:41 am by ed boy »

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
Re: Fight to the death the second: Round two: Roland Deschain VS Static
« Reply #831 on: October 31, 2010, 06:56:59 am »

>_<;

Don't call it a win for Ezio when it's just a DQ against Paul Atreides. :c
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: October 31, 2010, 07:39:49 am »

Let's call it a "not-loss" for Ezio and move on.

Static again, with his electricity powers, versus a very good gunslinger. I'm tempted to say Roland would win - Static isn't known for super-toughness unless his powers can protect him from bullets (which I've found no indication to). As soon as the two get within visual range of each other, Static gets shot. With his static charge producing a lightshow, he can't exactly hide well.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: October 31, 2010, 08:45:02 am »

In this case I think that Static would win. From what I've read, Roland doesn't have any immense superpowers other than being really, really good with a gun. Static, on the other hand, has complete control of metal and electricity. I reckon that it would go something like this.

- Two appear on island
 - Static flies up on his tin foil thingy
 - Roland walks around, looking for static
 - The two see eachother
 - If Roland is inhumanly good with a revolver then he would headshot Static as he flies across the sky (please note that wild west revolvers were not this accurate in real life, but most films/books/comics ignore this fact)
 - Otherwise Static pulls the gun out of Roland's hands and shocks Roland to death.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: October 31, 2010, 08:59:48 am »

I think Roland would spot Static before being discovered. Static doesn't look like much of a stealth person.

There's no mention of the exact feats performed, but the wiki article defines Roland's accuracy as "almost superhuman". Also, insanely quick draw. If the difference in visibility gives Roland even a second of lead time on Static, Static will go down with a pair of bulletholes in head/chest.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: October 31, 2010, 09:20:21 am »

Well, Static's powers aren't quite electricity mind you, but an electromagnetic field. Even in his teenage years he can toss around Batman's giant penny like it's a piece of cardboard. Considering Roland's bullets would have to be metal of some sort, I suppose that he'd be able to stop the bullets. Or better yet, just rip his guns away from him and start shocking.

Another thing to remember is that gang violence is more or less a fact of life where he lived. Getting caught up in a gang war is the whole reason he got his powers. It's quite reasonable to suspect that he's learned from experience the best ways to avoid gunfire.

Through all the crazy timelines, the only thing to ever kill some version of Static is a rip in the space-time continuum. He wouldn't last that long against criminals with nothing but dumb luck. While I'm not trying to claim that Roland's accuracy is useless here, I think Static would be accustomed to gunfire by now. Here's my version of the fight.

- Two appear on island.
- Static flies up a bit into the air
- Roland walks around spots Static, drawing his pistol and firing.
- The speed of Static's flight plus the general drift of a revolver causes the bullet to hit Static in the shoulder, knocking him off his disc and to the ground.
- Static attempts to run and regroup, but a shot from Roland hits him in the leg, dropping him.
- Roland accidentally gets into Static's line of sight as he lines up the kill shot.
- Static rips the guns from Roland and shocks him until unconscious.
- Static limps through the portal, dragging Roland behind him.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: October 31, 2010, 10:29:04 am »

Of course Static didn't die in the comics; he was the hero. If you kill him, who is going to be the main character?

I don't think I've ever seen Static shoot lightning at a metal object other than through another conductor, though. For example, he could electrocute someone by touching a guard rail that someone else was leaning on, but I don't think his lightning is powerful enough to fly through the hundred paces or so that Roland could be shooting from.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: October 31, 2010, 10:50:23 am »

I remember him doing it through the earth (somehow) once to rip apart a sewage pipe and pull it out the ground before placing it on top of a bad guy. I'm pretty sure he can pull a guys gun away from his hands.

Regardless, I think it's still just a case of whoever saw the other first. Static can disarm Roland and Roland can headshot Static.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: October 31, 2010, 11:01:24 am »

If it's about who sees the other first, then it's a rugged survivalist in a coat and hat versus a flashy superhero with glow and sparkles of static electricity. I guess it's obvious who is more visible in a jungle. If Static will be flying, it's going to be even worse - without supervision, spotting even a target that wants to be found, in a forest, from the air, is very much difficult.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 11:05:15 am by Sean Mirrsen »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: October 31, 2010, 11:21:40 am »

Do we have a number on how high the voltage Static can induce is? Because it takes a lot of voltage to send electricity through empty air. Lightning, for example can contain up to 875 coulombs, a current of 300,000 Amps. A one kilometer long bolt can have a voltage of about 5,000,000,000 volts at its peak. (Lighting averages around 5 megavolts per meter.)

Just 200 meters of lightning that strong (close enough for Roland to shoot from) would still take a billion volts. Can Static do that?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 98