Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making Marksdwarveshold more bolts at once  (Read 1601 times)

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Making Marksdwarveshold more bolts at once
« on: September 03, 2010, 03:13:57 pm »

Basically what the topic says, Marksdwarves carrying 25 is kind of..not nearly enough. I've got various other weapon users grinding goblins and humans and their mounts into pieces and throwing them all over the place, while the Elite Marksdwarf in question might get a kill or two and then starts using his crossbow as a crappy hammer.

Anyway, is there a way in the raws or or something i can increase the number of bolts they can carry in a quiver?
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making Marksdwarveshold more bolts at once
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 03:42:33 pm »

If you manage this I would love to hear how. It would go a long way towards making marksdwarves more usable, not just with regards to reloading in combat but just for training in general. With the bug that makes getting new stacks take for absolute ever still in the game it would be good to simply make them need to get new stacks less frequently.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 04:38:53 pm »

If you manage this I would love to hear how. It would go a long way towards making marksdwarves more usable, not just with regards to reloading in combat but just for training in general. With the bug that makes getting new stacks take for absolute ever still in the game it would be good to simply make them need to get new stacks less frequently.

Cant say i've had any trouble with this, however my ammo stockpile is actually touching the first archery target, might have something to do with it.

Edit: Okay, Quivers aren't listed in anything in the raw files, as far as I can tell.

I'm going to try dropping the bolt size to 1/3rd, but i think that is just going to make them do less damage honestly :/
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 06:28:04 pm by Zaik »

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 06:42:23 pm »

Could you just give them more quivers?
くコ:彡

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 06:52:33 pm »

I have no idea how, since they pick them up on their own.

I tried assigning 8 different bolts and they just picked up as many single bolts as they could find and a 25 stack. Still one quiver.

I had like 45 not-forbidden quivers so that wasn't the problem either.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 09:43:52 pm »

I have no idea how, since they pick them up on their own.

I tried assigning 8 different bolts and they just picked up as many single bolts as they could find and a 25 stack. Still one quiver.

I had like 45 not-forbidden quivers so that wasn't the problem either.

Maybe you could mod dwarves to have 1000 arms, so they would hold 1 crossbow, and 999 quivers.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 10:14:35 pm »

If that happens, maybe you could get them to wield multiple crossbows. ONE THOUSAND BOLT FURY.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 10:47:00 pm »

If that happens, maybe you could get them to wield multiple crossbows. ONE THOUSAND BOLT FURY.
No good. You can only use one weapon at once.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 11:59:39 pm »

It would be like in those shows where the character pulls out a gun with only one bullet in it, fires a shot, drops the gun and PULLS ANOTHER GUN WITH ONLY ONE BULLET IN IT OUT.
mod it to make the crossbow drop once fired
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

KojaK

• Bay Watcher
  • KojaK cancels job: interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 12:12:37 am »

It would be like in those shows where the character pulls out a gun with only one bullet in it, fires a shot, drops the gun and PULLS ANOTHER GUN WITH ONLY ONE BULLET IN IT OUT.

Actually back in the day where reloading took you two hours and lots of patience, that was something people did. They didn't carry one gun with lots of ammo, they just carried LOTS OF GUNS.
Quote from: Airpi
A normal ballista does damage by piercing with overlarge arrows, a dwarven ballista does damage by crushing with entire trees.

They will run, naked, into the caverns and roll around in whatever nearby filth is available.  Watch for gory explosions.

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 07:01:19 am »

Actually back in the day where reloading took you two hours and lots of patience, that was something people did. They didn't carry one gun with lots of ammo, they just carried LOTS OF GUNS.
But not to this extent:
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.