Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Metal Clothing question(s)  (Read 1602 times)

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Metal Clothing question(s)
« on: September 02, 2010, 05:28:26 pm »

It's my first time really playing with a certain blueish metal and i had some question(s):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Metal Clothing question(s)
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 05:49:37 pm »

Two adamantine mail shirts beats an adamantine robe any day, I would think.

Breatsplates provide a lot of defense, but leave the arms exposed.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 06:01:16 pm »

You can wear an adamantine shirt, adamantine breastplate, and adamantine robe all at the same time.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 06:05:12 pm »

And now to ask a question that is sort of off topic...
do bluemetal thread scarves protect the neck?

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 06:28:23 pm »

yes but even adamantine is still weak when used as cloth.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 06:31:02 pm »

Robes (and better, dresses) cover the face. (and fingers?) Nothing else does. Note the Armor entry in the wiki. The UB/LB step MAX is coverage of those areas regular armor just can't reach.

dresses have a smaller SIZE than robes, if it matters. It's hard to figure out this release, the permit numbers aren't always work how you'd expect, but my testing in adventure mode had two dresses under 2xMail shirts, where only one robe would fit. I don't know if Fort dwarves can equip two dresses at once (or two mail shirts, for that matter).

Note the superiority of Chausses (only foot protection to go up the leg) and Long Skirts (LBSTEP:MAX) as well. Both of which you probably can't make. Unfortunately. You can (in adventure mode, again YMMV for fort mode) layer WAY more long skirts in than trousers.

Perfect world scenario (if layering is allowed)?
 a helmet under as many hoods as possible.
 2 dresses under 2 mail shirts*, as many cloaks as can fit
 multiple long skirts (Can't be blue I don't think dwarves can make them) under greaves (maybe also a loincloth, but if you're wearing a kilt...)
 chausses (definitely not blue, probably traded-for rope reed) under High Boots
 gloves, under Gauntlets.

* breastplates may be better, if you've got the dresses, since breatplates have an armor rating of 3 vs. 2 for mail shirts, but I have yet to get an explanation on what that does; aou can layer mail shirts with and they have UB & LBSTEPs of 1 vs. Breatplates utter lack of coverage of arms.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 06:51:21 pm »

I have a question about hand and feet protection. I have modded clothing out of the raws to greatly reduce clutter from sieges, so everyone is naked.

However I find that many, many dwarves are having broken fingers or toes. In danger room training with no quality feathertree training spears I very frequently have dwarves with broken fingers and toes.

Is there any good way to protect fingers and toes from being so easily broken?

I give my dwarves exception or masterwork steel shirts, gauntlets, breastplates, helmets, greaves, and high boots.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 07:34:50 pm »

Thing is, looking through combat logs and i've got people with lower defensive skills and no shields taking hits on cloth underclothes or ears/cheeks, fingers, and necks. I've lost two elite crossbowmen to military-goes-retarded-itis and one of 6 guys shows up and the other 5 are chilling in the dining hall or in bed or whatever when a climbing/flying fb attacks(gets past my fortifications in the caverns).

Looking for something to defend against it at least somewhat.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 10:41:51 pm »

I would advise to use station instead of kill, when facing something dangerous. It gets your troops all together, rather than each rushing the target one at a time, whenever they get their lazy dwarven asses up.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 11:46:03 pm »

I have a question about hand and feet protection. I have modded clothing out of the raws to greatly reduce clutter from sieges, so everyone is naked.

However I find that many, many dwarves are having broken fingers or toes. In danger room training with no quality feathertree training spears I very frequently have dwarves with broken fingers and toes.

Is there any good way to protect fingers and toes from being so easily broken?

I give my dwarves exception or masterwork steel shirts, gauntlets, breastplates, helmets, greaves, and high boots.

Robes (and better, dresses) cover the face. (and fingers?) Nothing else does. Note the Armor entry in the wiki. The UB/LB step MAX is coverage of those areas regular armor just can't reach.

Check the wiki link there. If you mod out clothing, without changing armor to cover the affected areas, then the fingers and faces and whatnot will be bare. This is obviously a glitch of the games' current understanding of attached bodyparts, but so be it. Dresses are actually weird ninja suit things.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]