Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Can't find flux stone and coal  (Read 14667 times)

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can't find flux stone and coal
« on: September 02, 2010, 12:53:47 am »

I can't find any flux stone or bituminous coal. I dug all over the place. Is it possible it is not here? This area did not give the aquifer warning if I remember correctly.

tagg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can't find flux stone and coal
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 02:09:06 am »

Try using df hack's prospector doohicky, tells you what's on your map and how much of it there is. It should at least tell you IF you have any. Then, if you know you have it but can't find it, use reveal, (also in df hack,) but be carefull with reveal, it can lead to... problems, and spoilers, so it might ruin the game for you, prospector should be ok.

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 02:09:29 am »

When you embark, you should look at the different types of stone you get
Go to the DF wiki for the types of flux stones, but off the top of my head, they're limestone, chert and marble, but I'm sure there are others
Bituminous coal only appaers in sedimentary levels, like rock salt, limestone and chert
They appear white on your embark screen
maybe you embarked there instead?

Statistically, one in twenty of us live next door to a pedophile. Not me though, I live next door to a stunning pair of seven year olds

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 02:12:48 am »

If you embarked near a volcano (I think you said that's what you were playing with in a recent post) then almost certainly you don't have coal, although you probably have flux stone somewhere down there (marble).  It can happen that you have a sedimentary layer that overlaps a surface volcano area but it's very rare - if you're looking for one such area I put one up for download in the Cookbook thread.

Jayce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 02:23:50 am »

I embarked on a volcano,theres no flux stone but i simply buy my steel and flux from dwarfs,just ask for it.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 05:51:01 am »

I can't find any flux stone or bituminous coal. I dug all over the place. Is it possible it is not here? This area did not give the aquifer warning if I remember correctly.
Aquifers have absolutely nothing to do with flux or bit. coal. Yes, it's very possible it's just not on the map if you didn't check where you were embarking. You need to look over your rock layers carefully before embarking.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 08:04:49 am »

When you embark, you should look at the different types of stone you get
Go to the DF wiki for the types of flux stones, but off the top of my head, they're limestone, chert and marble, but I'm sure there are others
Bituminous coal only appaers in sedimentary levels, like rock salt, limestone and chert
They appear white on your embark screen
maybe you embarked there instead?

The flux stones are limestone, chalk, dolomite, and marble. Chalk is arguably the best because it doesn't come with any extra stone types - dolomite is loaded with talc, limestone is loaded with galena and malachite, and marble is metamorphic and thus lacks the coal you're looking for.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 08:09:32 am »

Ah, thanks for that, I knew something seemed off about that list
and ugh, I never bothered looking too closely at the layers, all I looked for was the fact that it was A, a sedimentary, and B, it had flux
never knew that there was a difference other than that =]
Statistically, one in twenty of us live next door to a pedophile. Not me though, I live next door to a stunning pair of seven year olds

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 08:12:45 am »

[The flux stones are limestone, chalk, dolomite, and marble.

And calcite.  Although I think calcite never shows up as a layer label on the embark screen.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 08:14:29 am »

Calcite only occurs as small clusters within limestone and marble, which are themselves flux stones, so it's not really worth mentioning.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 08:46:05 am »

Even if you don't see any flux on the embark screen, there is often (always?) some marble near the bottom of the map around the magma sea.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 11:51:02 am »

If you embarked near a volcano (I think you said that's what you were playing with in a recent post) then almost certainly you don't have coal, although you probably have flux stone somewhere down there (marble).  It can happen that you have a sedimentary layer that overlaps a surface volcano area but it's very rare - if you're looking for one such area I put one up for download in the Cookbook thread.

This is a new embark. There was no volcano, but I did find magma 20 levels down.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 04:38:55 pm »

Try using df hack's prospector doohicky, tells you what's on your map and how much of it there is. It should at least tell you IF you have any. Then, if you know you have it but can't find it, use reveal, (also in df hack,) but be carefull with reveal, it can lead to... problems, and spoilers, so it might ruin the game for you, prospector should be ok.
Link?

Found it. There is flux stone, but it is a few times more rare than adamantine. In other words, I'm either making iron weapons or going straight to adamantine.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 05:05:58 pm by vassock »

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 11:03:12 am »

How about bronze?  Copper + Tin.  Bronze is actually better than iron in the game, from what I understand.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 11:48:00 am »

Tin appears to be rarer than coal ...
Pages: [1] 2