Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Odd flooding.  (Read 1541 times)

Telok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Odd flooding.
« on: November 17, 2006, 11:06:00 am »

Explanation: Each floodgate is linked to one of the levers (top lever = righthand floodgate) and the bridge is on the cave river. I successfully flooded and drained this area in late summer of the first year, all normal. This is in the spring of the second year and has become a permanent flood inside that room. Normal method of activation is to just put one "Pull" job on each lever. Repeated opening and closing ofthe levers had no further effect, leaving the gates closed untill summer had no effect.

This is odd (to me anyways) because this is the setup I've used on the last twenty or so forts, up to seven or more years longevity on some of those forts. This has never happened to me before.

Silveron

• Bay Watcher
  • Arichect of Destruction
    • View Profile
Re: Odd flooding.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 12:28:00 pm »

I think it might have something to do with the pillars you have on the outside walls. Ive seen some odd things happen when the floods change directions. Do the tiles that are flooded change if you watch the room?

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 02:08:00 pm »

You don't even need those outer pillars; 6 open spaces across is safe from cave-ins.

Telok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 02:33:00 pm »

Hmm, it may be the pillars then. The flood washes back and forth in a nice sort of mandelbrot.

I'm also aware that I don't need the pillars for support inside the room. Those were mostly to remind me where the support pillars were going to go when I opened the area to later expansion. Besides, it looked nice.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 10:35:00 pm »

Yeah, this weird effect is known, and usually has something to do with a door or other structure closing on a flood.  I'll get to it when I can.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006, 03:23:00 am »

try sticking fortification on "inner" pillars?

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 06:46:00 pm »

Fortifications still block dwarf-made floods, just not seasonal flooding.