Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Recommend me some Games!  (Read 5242 times)

Evilgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Recommend me some Games!
« on: September 01, 2010, 07:15:18 pm »

Hello everyone! And before I start rambling, I'd like to thank you for even thinking about reading my thread, yay!

Anyway, as a few of you might know, my PC has recently been formatted, and now, I am completely without any games!
I've been browsing this forum for a long time now, but sometimes I'd just like a big old list of excellent games, instead of threads dedicated to one!

So please, recommend me as many games as possible! I love just about every Genre, with Simulation games being my favourite, and while I'd prefer it if it's free, I am willing to pay.
Ideally, no "AAA", games [Personally, I have no idea what that means. But I just don't want to shell out lotsof money.]

And please, feel free to shout at me if this is in the wrong place or anything. :3

Currently on my Computer.
Audiosurf
Plants Vs Zombies
Rogue Survivor

So.. Yeah!

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
Re: Recommend me some Games!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 07:21:40 pm »

Well you're missing 2 obvious things.
Dwarf Fortress and LCS.
If you have Steam, here are 2 games worth 10 bucks, Fallout 1 and 2. The X-Com complete pack gives you the 3 good X-Com games plus some others for 15 bucks, compared to 25 if you buy the whole series 1 at at time.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 07:24:39 pm »

Orbiter. Fly a space shuttle for fun and enlightement.
Simulation - check.
Free - check.
Nerdy awesome - check.
Long hours of studying manual and orbital mechanics required - check.
http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/home.php

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 07:28:30 pm »

Doom 1 & Doom 2 because they are just plain awesome.You will have to use Dosbox to install them and Skulltag to play them

Wolfenstein 3D & Spear Of Destiny because they are both awesome.You will need Dosbox to run them

Duke Nukem 3D because it is awesome.You will need Dosbox or a Duke Nukem emulator to run it.

They are all FPS's if you wanted to know.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 07:30:21 pm by Dwarf mc dwarf »

Evilgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 07:29:53 pm »

Well you're missing 2 obvious things.
Dwarf Fortress and LCS.

Ahh! How could I forget?!

And thank you for reminding me, I have the Fallout games on CD around here. And X-Com. Yay.

And I'll look into orbitter, thanks!

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 07:30:17 pm »

I came across a few interesting games on kongregate recently, one about "programming" a robot to navigate a level with a limited total number of commands, and the other about creating a pseudo-binary logic device that would process strings of red and blue dots represented as robots being sent along a series of conveyor belts, logic gates (sends red one way, blue another, and other (including empty) forward, or green one way, yellow one way, and other/empty forward), and writers (which could write red, blue, green, or yellow dots to the end of the string). It's hard as hell if you don't binary logic, at least the later levels are (such as one about only sending it to the end if it has an equal number of blue and red dots, with no memory but what's in the string, which can only be modified by reading the first bit (removing it) and appending a new bit to the end).
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Evilgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 07:34:30 pm »

I've played that last game, a while ago!
I was terrible at it, but I liked it. Yay.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 07:39:21 pm »

Doom 1 & Doom 2 because they are just plain awesome.You will have to use Dosbox to install them and Skulltag to play them

Wolfenstein 3D & Spear Of Destiny because they are both awesome.You will need Dosbox to run them

Duke Nukem 3D because it is awesome.You will need Dosbox or a Duke Nukem emulator to run it.

What? Don't use Skulltag to play anything other than strictly multiplayer games of Doom / Doom 2. Skulltag uses and outdated-as-shit version of ZDoom. So grab either ZDoom or GZDoom if you just want to give SP a go (and believe me, you'll want to - the Doom MP scene, backed by Skulltag, is awful. Don't even think about using their IRC) And you don't need Dosbox to install anything, all you need is the .wads (the content), and then you just point ZDoom or whatever at that, and bam, good to go. There's a stack of frontends available too so you don't have to command-line it all, look for them on the ZDoom wiki.

Wolfenstein 3D is a nice slice of nostalgia and all, but I wouldn't recommend it. If you really want to play it, there are plenty of .wads for Doom that recreate it and give you plenty of new stuff to fool around with.

If you want to play Duke Nukem 3D, then go for EDuke32. By far the best engine replacement. Same deal with the .wads from Doom, all you need is the content, and point the new frontend at that, and you're good to go.

My own personal recommendation for the above sort of game is Blood. You can either grab the actual game from Good Old Games for 6USD or grab a copy of ZBlood, which is a TC for (Z)Doom 2 that emulates the whole Blood experience pretty damn well - that being, hard as balls, fun as shit, and awesome as fuck. If anyone's up for a MP game of that I've got a server that I can throw up (and by extension, any Doom games)
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Evilgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 07:43:00 pm »

I'm an Unreal Tournament guy. ;_;
Doom and Quake have never been my things, I've played them all though, thanks.
And I agree the multiplayer on Doom is terrible.. How many servers do that damned Clown map?

But thanks again for reccomending these! I'll be sure to take a look at Blood.

Koja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 07:55:56 pm »

Free:
Hardwar(Hovercraft dogfighting/trader simulator- requires fanpatches for bugs and features)
Rogue Survivor(As you've mentioned)
Anarchy Online(Free till January if you're so inclined- it was fun back in like 2003)
Triangle Wizard(Realtime dungeon crawler)
Survival Crisis Z- (Realtime zombie survival... crawler? Made in flash, wrapped as .exe)
Go outside and take up a physical hobby, since you have a moment without the soulsucking temptation of video games.

Not-free:
Wait for steam sale, or you'll regret tapping out your game budget. Seriously.
Startopia, Diablo 2, and other underrated oldies. Ok, maybe not D2. While out of date, they can be hugely enjoyable.
~~<BR>"Zombie fish have the added benefit of not needing to breath. Thus they can wade out of the water with little to fear but bigger zombie fish" -Willfor

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 08:32:20 pm »

Ascii Sector, Castles II Siege and Conquest (play with plots enabled), Centurion (Old Dos Game), Master of Magic, or Darklands.
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

mikefictiti0us

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Radio Rivendell
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 08:38:54 pm »

If you like Rogue Survivor you might enjoy UnrealWorld (screenies). There's different starting scenarios though they all basically plonk you in wilderness of medieval Finland and you have to learn how to survive.

You can be a solitary hunter who lives off his kills and crafts his own weapons. Tan animal hides and create your own clothes. Or you can build your own house, piece by piece, by felling trees and chopping them into logs. Use the surrounding area to start your own crops and trade the excess food for tools and valuables with surrounding villages. Or hunt bandits for their loot, ambush random adventurers and eat them, raid groups of traveling merchants, wander into bear caves and get mauled and the list goes on and on. And it has a locational based combat system and health effects, like wounds becoming infected if you don't clean and dress them, or your extremities becoming frostbitten if you walk around in a snow storm without warm layers of clothing.

I almost always go back to it every couple of weeks and I've been playing it for years. The only thing that might put you off is that you have to pay for it, $3. There's a demo with no content restrictions, though it ends after something like 15 in game days. Maybe give it a try.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 08:53:26 pm »

Anarchy Online(Free till January if you're so inclined- it was fun back in like 2003)
It has been free until January for years now. ;)

It's a great game anyway.

Evilgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 09:06:33 pm »

Oh wow, UnrealWorld looks really really interesting, thanks for that! I've gotten the demo, and I'm almost definitely going to get the full game.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 09:40:03 pm »

Various Flash Games ((I can suggest 2 sites where hundreds of them are hosted, Kongregate and Armor Games. Browse if you'd like.))

Red Faction ((Not Free, 10 bucks on steam. Nice shooter, with the ability to screw up the land scape.))

STALKER Shadow Of Chernobyl ((20 bucks on steam, other sources advised. Patching advised. Very good shooter/minor RPG set in the altered Chernobyl Zone Of Exclusion.))

Half Life and if possible, it's expansions or mods.

STALKER Call Of Pripyat ((Like the other STALKER, except may be very laggy on High or Maximum quality depending on your computer.))

Command And Conquer ((Any before Renegade or CnC 3, because they are completely free, if I remember.))
Pages: [1] 2 3 4