Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cages and executions  (Read 622 times)

Gatallorsith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cages and executions
« on: September 01, 2010, 06:37:30 pm »

Since I'm pretty new to dwarf fortress, I'd like to ask how the hell I have to treat caged prisoners..I now have A LOT of them due to the fact I've used cage traps only in the early game and I don't know a quick way to

- "deploy" them as training for my team
- kill them (I'll probably need this as soon as I encounter more dangerous creatures than goblins)

What I tried was creating a pit with one way out only and trowing them to my military bloodthirsty dwarves, but
1) When assigning them to the cage, they ofter free themself from the animal trainer carring them from the stockpiles
2) In the first tries some of them remained on the level up, not falling in the pit.

Suggestions about this? What are the steps starting from them caged at the stockpile?
Thx.

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cages and executions
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 06:40:29 pm »

Build the goblin cage in the military training room, attach a lever to it, and then pull said lever

Gatallorsith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 06:52:55 pm »

Yes but as I've written they tend to escape during the transport between cages..Am I doing it wrong or there's another way?

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 06:57:09 pm »

You have to specifically build the cage they're in, as opposed to building 1 cage and trying to shove a bunch of them in it.

I personally have a "firing squad" room that I use to train marksdwarves. Any nasties that wander into a cage trap get sent into a special room where, once released, they can escape only by being shot down by marksdwarves.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Tommy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 07:02:32 pm »

1. Build a raising bridge.
2. Attach a lever to it.
3. Pull the lever.
4. Dump the goblin cages in the space vacated by the raised bridge.
5. ???
6. Profit.
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER
Dwarf Fortress in a nutshell. It includes dead things, parties, and getting really excited over updates.

Gatallorsith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 07:17:26 pm »

You have to specifically build the cage they're in, as opposed to building 1 cage and trying to shove a bunch of them in it.

I personally have a "firing squad" room that I use to train marksdwarves. Any nasties that wander into a cage trap get sent into a special room where, once released, they can escape only by being shot down by marksdwarves.
Sorry but how do I do that? I've these cages in the stockpile and I cannot do anything with the v, k or q functions. I tried to "build" a cage above another in the stockpile as you seemingly suggested but it doesn't work.

edit: ok, I had to remove the stockpile designation first. :\
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 07:26:38 pm by Gatallorsith »

Tommy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 07:24:40 pm »

It's the difference between a cage object and a (b)uilt cage building.  The cages in your stockpile are just objects waiting to be built into something - to move a particular cage somewhere without releasing the creature inside, (b)uild a ca(j)e somewhere other than your stockpile, and then press x on the list of cages to fully expand it, and find the cage you want to build.  This is the oft-overlooked bit - without pressing x, you're left with a more concise list of cages sorted by material, which makes it harder to find the one you want.
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER
Dwarf Fortress in a nutshell. It includes dead things, parties, and getting really excited over updates.

Gatallorsith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 07:40:32 pm »

Ouch, thanks finally I've understood how it works...for some reason I tried everything except that XD