Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: So I start school tomorrow  (Read 4849 times)

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Re: So I start school tomorrow
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2010, 09:09:35 pm »

I started around a month ago.
I have good classes, mostly:
 - Honors World History (fun class, but crazy easy)
 - Japanese 3 (the most fun, but like cruise control through Nevada)
 - Honors English (fun, but hard)
 - Honors Biology (again, fun, but crazy easy)
 - Trigonometry (so easy it's boring. I keep myself awake in class by writing programs for my calculator)
 - [Next Semester] Analytical Geometry (I'm hoping this'll be better than trig)
 - Arts Core (necessary evil required to get into the good art classes)
 - Health (cool teacher, lame class)
 - [Next Semester] PE (complete cruise class, but somewhat enjoyable if you're an active person)

Crappin christ! Please don't tell me you're signing up for the same college as me (not that I know what I'll be doing post graduation). Hm... I've made the bare minimum of all of my classes. I failed all core classes last year. :(

The only good class I have is an AP english and apparently not too many colleges take those extra credits (or something like that). That pink avatar seems so devilishly appropriate now doesn't it?
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2010, 09:50:24 pm »

How am I supposed to know what college you're signing up for?
I'm just going with the classes available to me.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2010, 09:55:26 pm »

Seven courses, three of them honors programs.  Damn, I've never taken more than five courses at a time, and even that they don't recommend.  Let me guess, you don't have a job do you?

Also, I started school last week, just Thursday and Friday for some reason.  Now on the official week one.  I'm just taking three courses, but they're the last three courses I need.  As long as I can keep up with the mountain of reading and keep my head above water in Spanish, this is the last leg of a very long road.  I can almost taste it.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2010, 09:59:32 pm »

Seven courses, three of them honors programs.  Damn, I've never taken more than five courses at a time, and even that they don't recommend.  Let me guess, you don't have a job do you?

High school, dude... I remember one year when I had 6 APs and a post-AP study thing, plus my tutoring job and an assload of SATs.  Fun year.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2010, 10:00:52 pm »

Yeah, high school.
Also, I have no life.
Besides, trig is already two years ahead of what most people in my grade are taking, and Japanese 3 is one year ahead.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2010, 10:04:48 pm »

Oh, high school, okay yeah that makes sense.  Wait, you have a high school that offers (at least) three levels of Japanese?  Where are you, California?

Man, I went into high school loaded up on those AP programs, since my school was part of the "International Baccalaureate" program, whatever the fuck that was, and they crammed it down everyone's throats.  I dropped that shit in half a year, and no college I applied to ever asked about or mentioned anything of the kind.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2010, 10:06:35 pm »

Hawaii.
And 5 levels.
And the only other two languages are Hawaiian and Spanish.
Apparently, most colleges won't even accept Hawaiian as another language.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2010, 10:10:11 pm »

Though the internet is never a good place to ask for advice, what's a college essay? Is it where you write about the college or something?
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2010, 10:18:55 pm »

Man, I went into high school loaded up on those AP programs, since my school was part of the "International Baccalaureate" program, whatever the fuck that was, and they crammed it down everyone's throats.  I dropped that shit in half a year, and no college I applied to ever asked about or mentioned anything of the kind.

I was an over-achiever of the worst sort =/  It didn't help that my school had so many AP courses, and I took most of them.  Now people are killing themselves from stress, and it's a little bit sad.

Though the internet is never a good place to ask for advice, what's a college essay? Is it where you write about the college or something?

They give you a prompt and you respond to it in essay format.  I wrote one of mine about wearing ethnic clothing and self-inflicted cultural isolation (REJECTED) and another one about nostalgia, misguided senses of justice, and my Lancelot-complex (ACCEPTED).

... Yeah, that went over well.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2010, 10:41:35 pm »

My classes are pretty sweet this year.

Electronics, Wind Ensemble, Physics (for college credit), Calculus (for more of the same), Japanese I, and two periods where I do classes online through a different college. Actually, I don't use those until the 20th, when the college starts its fall quarter.

In addition, I'm doing a sport, knowledge bowl, broadcasting, rocket club, science olympiad, math team, pep band, and several other clubs. I'm going to be very busy, but happily so.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2010, 12:37:44 am »

... place I've to go to is 4,4km away :(
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Quarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2010, 02:57:06 am »

My courses are... not good. I suppose it doesn't help that my school's only offered second language is French, of all things, which I've had enough of over the past 6 years. (Admittedly the only thing I really did in French class was memorize kanji. Middle-school's great that way, you don't even need to try to pass.) Ah, conjugating French verbs, what a useless piece of knowledge driven into my head so much to ensure I'll never forget those useless 10 or so tables I've memorized.

Academic English/Math/what-have-you plus all of the science classes my school offers. And, uh, yoga(?) for the mandatory PE credit we need to graduate. Drama for the fine arts credit, too. Those mandatory credits are ridiculous, something I fail to see the point of. Photography should really be a fine arts class rather than the 'technology' credit my school marks it as; it's a course I'd love to take but I simply don't have enough room for it. All of the interesting courses are for grade 11 anyway, which means my grade 10 year is filled with useless stuff like 'Oceanography 11' just to fill out the space. Hopefully college will be better about actually having choices when it comes to my classes, rather than just being forced to take all the hard stuff to actually get into college.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2010, 03:51:07 am »

First shop cycle starts next Friday, huzzahs will be had.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2010, 05:54:47 am »

might be the same as a personal statement, im not familiar with the US system (ur in the US right?). If it is a personal statement (which is what UK ppls right when they apply to university) then you basically write an essay about why you want to do what your applying to do, and why your the right person to do it.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2010, 06:57:57 am »

Damnit. It took 45 min to go, and 45 to return
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7