Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Armok Himself: To Craft A God  (Read 3066 times)

Kaeoz Crimson

• Bay Watcher
  • Strike The Earth Until It Bleeds!
    • View Profile
Armok Himself: To Craft A God
« on: August 30, 2010, 02:31:16 am »

I am new to the Dwarf Fortress forums, but I've been pondering something: why isn't Armok in this game?  And after pondering it, I have come to a decision: we need to make an Armok mod ourselves and import him into the game.  However, that is easier said than done, yes?  Armok, God Of Blood, would be mightier than any creature of flesh and blood, thus would require flesh and blood worthy of his might: we'd need to craft unique flesh, blood, muscle, bone, everything about him would have to be made especially just for him.  Further, unique armor and weapons would be required, befitting the Blood God himself.  This is a mega-project for the modding community as a whole, and I doubt that it would be easily accomplished.  But for Armok Himself not to appear in a game that bears his name is a blasphemy in and of itself.

Besides, once completed, he could be the ultimate battle of the game: a god embodied, something that even the Happy Fun Stuff would fall before.  When you dig down to the Happy Fun Stuff, if you somehow survive the Fun that occurs, and you manage to reach the depths of Fun itself, there you should find ARMOK himself, sitting atop a pile of Happy Fun Stuff corpses.  And if, somehow, after many months, or even years, of fierce battle, you manage to defeat Armok, you would be able to claim an incredible prize: harvest the corpse of Armok, and you will find a nigh infinite supply of Adamantine and Slade ore in Fortress mode.  And in Adventure mode, you could claim the Sword and Armor of ARMOK HIMSELF!!!  Do battle against the beasts of the world with the Regalia Of A God!  And of course, as Armok is a god, he will be reborn in one years time, ready and waiting for a rematch.  Even if you fall against him, imagine the glory: "Yeah, my adventurer died, fighting ARMOK IN THE HAPPY FUN STUFF."
Violence, Fire, And Duct Tape Have One Thing In Common: If They're Not Solving The Problem, Then You Need To Use More!
Dwarf Fortress: Proving That Violence IS The Answer Since 2002.
And a thought occurs: if you made soap out of those poison demon squirrels, wouldn't it dissolve your flesh when used?  I THINK WE HAVE OUR NEXT EXPORT TO THE ELVEN KINGDOMS, GENTLEMEN!!!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Armok Himself: To Craft A God
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 02:53:11 am »

Let's get this out of the way first: It's been done before. Secondly, he can't be part of the HFS. Thirdly, he'll have to be in a civ to get weapons and armour which aren't part of his body (I have an idea as to how to deal with this... it may or may not work). But I'll bite.

It might be possible to create a multi-stage boss-fight-esque Armok through tissue layers. One could, for example, make most of his skin indestructible, with a small part vulnerable, then create a gas underneath the vulnerable part which makes his (and only his) skin rot, thus allowing attackers to reach past, and so on (I'm assuming rot allows you to do that, but it very well may not. If it doesn't, it'll be a lot harder to make this interesting).

Size is important for combat effectiveness, moreso in .31, and weapons have a minimum size value... armour's even worse because while the size of weapons is abstracted to some degree (minimum creature size for use is set, so regardless of how big a civ creature is, the weapon'll still be usable by all creatures that match the min size requirement), armour is based entirely on the creature size itself, which means Armok'll have to be dwarf-sized for adventurers to use his armour (and thus considerably weaker), and even then the armour will be ususable by humans and the like.

"Rebirth" is essentially impossible.

Edit: Oh, and making the armour out of anything better than bronze or steel will be impossible as well. It'll be better for him to have "armour" bodyparts and just forgo him dropping any.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 03:00:48 am by 3 »

Artanis00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 03:17:42 am »

Armok is in the game. If a dwarf has a unwounded arm, then armok. :P
Git - fast, efficient, distributed version control system
Github - Free public repositories, issue tracking, wikis, downloads...

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 03:21:33 am »

Armok is in the game. If a dwarf has a unwounded arm, then armok. :P

This.

Secondly, he can't be part of the HFS.
You can mod in new HFS demons.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 03:24:05 am »

You can? Wait, how? I added the DEMON tag to a creature and it spat out an error. It worked in 40d, I know.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 03:46:39 am »

Oh snap. It looks like Toady took that away from us for some reason.

The tokens are DEMON and DEMON_UNIQUE, and they are still present on generated demons if you look in their raws, but the raw parser does not read them from modded creatures. That's sad, a few versions back (in 2010, not 40d) it was working fine.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 04:31:47 am »

I think the closest thing we have to Armok is my 40d creation, "Armok's Incarnate" (I think that was it's name...)

It could breath fire, shoot fireballs, it moved at the speed of light, it could fly,IIRC it had resistance to everything other than arrows, and in the time it would have taken a dwarf to fire one? He would have killed half the military. When it attacked, it basically punched a dwarf and made said dwarf explode.

The only easy not almost totally impossible way to trap it, then encase in solid obsidian, even then, it didn't fit the requirements of my challenge, it didn't keep the corpse :P

Did I mention that it had a fixed tempreture that could melt adamantine? And that it had the [IMMOLATE] tag that made it burn everything around it, it wasn't tested wheather arrows didn't melt a they got close to him or not. Dwarves definatly did XD
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 04:34:43 am by Supercharazad »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 06:36:46 am »

The tokens are DEMON and DEMON_UNIQUE, and they are still present on generated demons if you look in their raws, but the raw parser does not read them from modded creatures. That's sad, a few versions back (in 2010, not 40d) it was working fine.
I've been testing that from the start and it didn't work. You can put creatures into hell, but you can't make them spawn with the demons.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 06:53:41 am »

Now that you mention it, that might be a better way of doing things. UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:5:5, FREQUENCY:100, POPULATION_NUMBER:1:1/CLUSTER_NUMBER:1:1. Still wouldn't be perfect...

Kaeoz Crimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 08:56:49 pm »

Hmmm, well, maybe we're going about this all wrong: instead of trying to mod him into HFS, it might be better to mod him into a special event on the surface: place the Temple Of Armok in atop the highest mountain on the map.  But just knowing the location isn't going to immediately land you a dual with Armok: the temple would be guarded by a dragon, and inside the temple is a tunnel, going down several Z-levels, into the very heart of the mountain, guarded by megabeasts, bloodmen (who we might mod a little and rename Slaves To Armok, and give them iron armor and weapons), and some other nasty surprises.  Once you reach the bottom (or is it?), you will have found the Avatar of Armok himself!

After some thought, the idea had occurred to me that making Armok a creature of flesh and blood (even divine flesh and blood) wouldn't work perfectly.  Instead, we can take a page out of the Bloodmen's playbook: we can make him completely out of modded blood.  This blood neither freezes nor boils, and it has the exact temperature of boiling (human) blood.  But the kicker?  He's wearing adamantine armor but no weapons: that's right, you'll be fighting Armok in a wrestling match.  With no thought center, eyes, bones, nerves, or any of the weaknesses of other creatures, even if you do hit him, you're not going to kill him easily.  And even if you win, there's a tunnel going further down, to nearly the HFS itself, and at the bottom, you will come to another large chamber, with Armok Himself, a creature similar to the one you fought above, but gigantic.  However, you don't HAVE to fight this one (unless you want to).  Talk to him, and he will bestow upon you one of the following:
The Wrath Of Armok: A legendary hammer, unbelievably heavy, more powerful than any other in the world.  A swing from it is like a hit from Armok himself.  Send foes flying with a single swing!
The Aegis Of Armok: Legendary Armor, no force on earth, not even arrows, can pierce it.
(Both of these are heavy in the extreme, naturally.)
The Offerings Of Armok: A fortune, more than you can spend in a thousand lifetimes.
The Aid Of Armok: Armok joins your party.  From now on, Armok will aid you in vanquishing your foes.
Violence, Fire, And Duct Tape Have One Thing In Common: If They're Not Solving The Problem, Then You Need To Use More!
And a thought occurs: if you made soap out of those poison demon squirrels, wouldn't it dissolve your flesh when used?  I THINK WE HAVE OUR NEXT EXPORT TO THE ELVEN KINGDOMS, GENTLEMEN!!!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 09:13:32 pm »

place the Temple Of Armok in atop the highest mountain on the map.  But just knowing the location isn't going to immediately land you a dual with Armok:

Cannot be done, aside from making a dark fortress not unlike those seen in goblin civs.

the temple would be guarded by a dragon,

Cannot be done, aside from making dragons a sub-caste of The Embodiment of Armok or vice versa (probably the latter), and then making a civ out of them and hoping for the proportions to be right (there will always be a minute chance of you ending up with more than one Armok).

and inside the temple is a tunnel, going down several Z-levels, into the very heart of the mountain, guarded by megabeasts, bloodmen (who we might mod a little and rename Slaves To Armok, and give them iron armor and weapons),

Really can't be done very well at all. The closest we can get to the "tunnel" idea is to have The Embodiment sitting in hell - he can be rare, but not unique; he can be a megabeast himself, in which case he won't sit around in hell and will instead raze villages and do whatever else megabeasts do; and he can't be guarded specifically by anything other than the HFS (and only then because we know they'll appear before you meet him).

Again, the only way to get things to use items is to make them a civ. This means that bloodmen will, effectively, have to be a modified animal man civ, which will likely mean that they'll end up attacking The Embodiment in the chance that the two ever meet, which is incredibly unlikely anyway as I don't think animal men go that deep.

After some thought, the idea had occurred to me that making Armok a creature of flesh and blood (even divine flesh and blood) wouldn't work perfectly.  Instead, we can take a page out of the Bloodmen's playbook: we can make him completely out of modded blood.  This blood neither freezes nor boils, and it has the exact temperature of boiling (human) blood.

With no thought center, eyes, bones, nerves, or any of the weaknesses of other creatures, even if you do hit him, you're not going to kill him easily.

Have you fought a forgotten beast made out of blood or dust or something like that recently? They tend to get bitten in half by a passing cat. Yeah. And those things are big. The material wouldn't have to work like blood at all for it to stand up to anything in the game's currently imperfect state. If he's massive (and I mean huge), his size would make up for it somewhat, but he'd still have trouble.

adamantine armor

Flat-out can't be done. Best you can hope for is steel, and if you make anything better, then the dwarf civ'll start using it as their default metal. And if you want armour, he won't be underground at all, as he'd have to be part of a civ.

Talk to him, and he will bestow upon you one of the following:

Sorry, no dice.

Kaeoz Crimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 10:34:37 pm »

place the Temple Of Armok in atop the highest mountain on the map.  But just knowing the location isn't going to immediately land you a dual with Armok:

Cannot be done, aside from making a dark fortress not unlike those seen in goblin civs.

the temple would be guarded by a dragon,

Cannot be done, aside from making dragons a sub-caste of The Embodiment of Armok or vice versa (probably the latter), and then making a civ out of them and hoping for the proportions to be right (there will always be a minute chance of you ending up with more than one Armok).

and inside the temple is a tunnel, going down several Z-levels, into the very heart of the mountain, guarded by megabeasts, bloodmen (who we might mod a little and rename Slaves To Armok, and give them iron armor and weapons),

Really can't be done very well at all. The closest we can get to the "tunnel" idea is to have The Embodiment sitting in hell - he can be rare, but not unique; he can be a megabeast himself, in which case he won't sit around in hell and will instead raze villages and do whatever else megabeasts do; and he can't be guarded specifically by anything other than the HFS (and only then because we know they'll appear before you meet him).

Again, the only way to get things to use items is to make them a civ. This means that bloodmen will, effectively, have to be a modified animal man civ, which will likely mean that they'll end up attacking The Embodiment in the chance that the two ever meet, which is incredibly unlikely anyway as I don't think animal men go that deep.

After some thought, the idea had occurred to me that making Armok a creature of flesh and blood (even divine flesh and blood) wouldn't work perfectly.  Instead, we can take a page out of the Bloodmen's playbook: we can make him completely out of modded blood.  This blood neither freezes nor boils, and it has the exact temperature of boiling (human) blood.

With no thought center, eyes, bones, nerves, or any of the weaknesses of other creatures, even if you do hit him, you're not going to kill him easily.

Have you fought a forgotten beast made out of blood or dust or something like that recently? They tend to get bitten in half by a passing cat. Yeah. And those things are big. The material wouldn't have to work like blood at all for it to stand up to anything in the game's currently imperfect state. If he's massive (and I mean huge), his size would make up for it somewhat, but he'd still have trouble.

adamantine armor

Flat-out can't be done. Best you can hope for is steel, and if you make anything better, then the dwarf civ'll start using it as their default metal. And if you want armour, he won't be underground at all, as he'd have to be part of a civ.

Talk to him, and he will bestow upon you one of the following:

Sorry, no dice.
Ah well, maybe another day, after a few hundred updates XP.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 10:36:07 pm »

(talking to thread poster) maybe you should try to take some time to review the modding section in the wiki.

RysanMarquise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 01:52:11 am »

Would it be possible to have a civilization made out of a single megabeast who presides over a single dark citadel and frequently rampages across the country? He might even participate in wars single-handedly crushing armies of those who disagreed with him.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 02:03:02 am »

Would it be possible to have a civilization made out of a single megabeast who presides over a single dark citadel and frequently rampages across the country? He might even participate in wars single-handedly crushing armies of those who disagreed with him.

I was able to do this in 40d by modding in a really short-lived race called 'Precursors' who died in year 2, while giving them [ANY_APPROPRIATE_POWER] and matching their spheres with the spheres of a superpowerful megabeast called 'Precursor Sentinel'. They never went on wars, though. They spent all their time murdering semimegabeasts and megabeasts, it was so awesome.

Dunno if this is possible now, except perhaps via the Caste system.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (
Pages: [1] 2