Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Huesoo's amazingly good horror stories aboot gothics.  (Read 2178 times)

Quarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Huesoo's amazingly good horror stories aboot gothics.
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2010, 08:28:24 am »

I'm not going to even try and make my writing out to seem decent, but man, you need to pay closer attention to the tenses and formatting and try to fix up your dialogue. I'm horrible at writing dialogue, but a tip, stuff like:
"I don’t know why but it just seemed everything was going to go horrible[sic] wrong if I didn’t leave the place.” Said Rolf, shivering when he mentioned the man.
does not read well. Generally you use commas in place of periods at the end of quotations, like so:
"I don’t know why but it just seemed everything was going to go horribly wrong if I didn't leave this place," said Rolf, shivering when he mentioned the man.
Unnecessary capitalization is unsightly and there's a lot of it throughout your story.

I don't practice writing at all either. I don't even do much reading (aside from the forums) so I might be wrong, but the current state your story is in reads like fanfiction.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2010, 10:51:54 am »

Yup, somebody ::) wanted to finish his story...

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2010, 05:34:35 pm »

Proofread man. Some sentences didn't parse, and the grammar and spelling is terrible. Proofread a million and one times and then proofread again, just to get into the habit.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2010, 05:35:04 am »

Yup, proofread.
Some sentences don't parse, and the grammar and the spelling are terrible.
:P

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2010, 06:55:09 am »

You're reaching there. I was speaking in past tense; the sentences didn't parse when I was reading them. And I'm certain that saying 'the grammar and spelling' is accurate, as I am saying that they were both terrible. No need to add the extra 'the'.

At worst, it's lazy English, but we're posting an internet forum and you're not looking for A-grade essay material every post. However, since Huesoo presumably was looking to make his story A-grade material (or the equivalent in England) lazy English is going to be slightly more frowned upon. Not by much though.

Uh, why did you try and call me out on this again? It's tangentially related to the topic at best and a pretty terrible joke too. Not that I'm annoyed or anything.

Remember I'll always love you.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2010, 07:32:02 am »

:-\ Let's say it's a mediocre joke.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2010, 07:33:49 am »

Actually, he's technically correct. Since he's referring to parsing the sentence personally, "didn't" is the proper tense. Similarly, grammar and spelling can be taken as a compound.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2010, 07:37:12 am »

Like I said, I think it's acceptable in common usage, if a bit lazy of me. It's not a particularly bad or even noteworthy mistake, and I'm not looking to write a story and get good marks, which is what Huesoo is doing, so it doesn't work as a snide remark or a dig or a joke or whatever, really.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2010, 07:46:02 am »

Oh, well. Although, I could swear I saw a couple of Jackrabbit stories on the early pages of Creative Projects... I think I'm even remembering there was something spacey and looking like a beginning of a novel, but abandoned sadly.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2010, 07:49:31 am »

Everything I've written, posted and left on this site haunts my nightmares.

They're probably not that bad and I'm just being the worst judge of my own work again. But I have been literally eaten alive by several of them on particularly sleepless nights.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 07:51:37 am by Jackrabbit »

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2010, 01:21:01 pm »

At worst, it's lazy English, but we're posting an internet forum and you're not looking for A-grade essay material every post. However, since Huesoo presumably was looking to make his story A-grade material (or the equivalent in England) lazy English is going to be slightly more frowned upon. Not by much though.

Nope, I just wanted it done.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2010, 03:11:49 pm »

You didn't want to get a good grade or anything? Why not?

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2010, 03:18:55 pm »

It's just how he rolls, playa, don't be hatin fo the way he is.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2010, 05:30:54 pm »

You didn't want to get a good grade or anything? Why not?

Because it was easy man, I got a good grade on the gothic grade. I didnt really need to try. If I wanted a great grade I wouldnt of started the story the day before it was due and I would of proof read it.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Quarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2010, 12:27:47 am »

Because it was easy man, I got a good grade on the gothic grade. I didnt really need to try. If I wanted a great grade I wouldnt of started the story the day before it was due and I would of proof read it.
Would have, man.
Pages: 1 [2]