Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]

Author Topic: Why didn't you people tell me sooner? Dead State  (Read 23468 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Why didn't you people tell me sooner? Dead State
« Reply #150 on: December 04, 2014, 05:27:51 pm »

Might get it if it goes on sale.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 05, 2014, 08:46:51 am »

It's out? I could have swore I tried it a few months back and it was still obviously in progress.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 05, 2014, 08:52:37 am »

I haven't played the finished version yet, but 0.8 was at least pretty awesome. My only complaint is how dependent everyone are on the player character. Eventually you have more survivors than productive things for them to do; you can't tell them to go cut down some trees or fish in parties without you, for example. Apparently everyone gets instantly eaten by zeds when outside the shelter, unless led by the player.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 05, 2014, 04:43:57 pm »

Is the game pure sandbox or does it have a campaign or something similar?

It's surprisingly difficult to find an answer, which leads me to suspect it's pure sandbox.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 06, 2014, 05:43:37 am »

I backed this game awhile ago but never really sat down and played it for an extended period because I didn't want to spoil the release experience.

So far the things I like:
Fighting zombies is simple and straightfoward, while taking down a group of zeds requires a bit of strategy (like finding a chokepoint). Fighting humans on the other hand, now that requires planning because combat generates noise, and noise attracts zombies.

Human enemies LOVE firing off their weapons and attracting zombies, so once you kill them you probably have to kill a few enemies that wandered by. On top of that, you don't know which humans were bitten or not, so you have to decide between leaving enemies KO'd and unlootable, or killing them and creating a zombie at full health, which you have to kill in order to loot.

BUT, if you're going after a group of humans (tough because they typically are armored and use guns), you can use a bit of strategy and the zombies that will be attracted by the noise, to cause the humans to get attacked from two sides, making them much easier to deal with.

Using zombies as part of your strategy can mean the difference between victory or getting wiped out by a group of well-armed looters, and I find this so goddamn awesome.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 06, 2014, 08:00:17 am »

Burned - to answer your question, it's a mixture of sandbox and campaign. There's a set of missions tying together an overriding story, but you are free to travel across the map and scavenge, build base upgrades, recruit new survivors etc.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 06, 2014, 06:06:30 pm »

Mmm, apocalypse chicken...  :)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 06, 2014, 06:47:10 pm »

Burned - to answer your question, it's a mixture of sandbox and campaign. There's a set of missions tying together an overriding story, but you are free to travel across the map and scavenge, build base upgrades, recruit new survivors etc.

ah, sounds great then, thanks - added to my wishlist.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Professor Lemur

• Bay Watcher
  • Not as cool as your glasses, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 06, 2014, 10:40:06 pm »

I am so psyched for this.
Watched a LP of it, got it on my wishlist.... Now I need a new PC and to buy it, and then I can wreck some zombie shit.
You can lead a horse to water, you can leave your horse behind.
'Cause your horse don't dance and if he don't dance, then he's no horse of mine.
ASK ME ABOUT MY OBSCURELY LARGE MEKHQ ARMY

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 07, 2014, 12:05:16 am »

Hmm I don't know, I find it kind of slow and boring. I guess I'm the only one. I regret buying it.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]