Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: Why didn't you people tell me sooner? Dead State  (Read 23506 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Why didn't you people tell me sooner? Dead State
« Reply #90 on: August 29, 2010, 10:34:55 pm »

That's how I played KOTOR, with autopause every turn (though it was fun to let it just go ahead when I was in an easy fight).
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 29, 2010, 10:44:47 pm »

That's how I played KOTOR, with autopause every turn (though it was fun to let it just go ahead when I was in an easy fight).
SPM is different... just trust me on that.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 29, 2010, 10:46:22 pm »

Also sounds like it would take a lot of heavy modifying of the current engine and tools, and they're already a few years into development here. I doubt they'll change from plain turn-based.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 30, 2010, 03:54:39 am »

Sounds like how they have it in UFO Afterlight.  "Realtime, but you can pause/set autopausing to issue orders/whatever".

I always mash pause when I notice something, though, which usually results in unpausing the game when the three super-hard boss units come around the corner, giving them a couple seconds headstart.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 30, 2010, 07:09:39 am »

don't know if it came up yet, but the 7.62 Smart Pause Mode would probably work well... After playing 7.62 I've decided that SPM is superior to 'turn based' in all ways... I cannot think of a single game (tactical-like game, that is) that was turn based that would not have been better in SPM.
I did not find it all that good at all. In fact, I'd have prefered a pure real-time system where the AI just knows what to shoot at. It's a lot of busy work with Real-Time-With-Pause systems to keep your people firing at optimal targets, especially with a system like 7.62 where they take forever to aim even a snapshot and the enemy is likely to become untargettable before they finish aiming.

Might be due to 7.62's stat system in general, but it turned out less realistic than many turn-based systems, not taking reaction times and such into consideration.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 07:15:30 am by Virtz »

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 18, 2010, 09:59:50 am »

It kills me having to wait for this. Release date is "not in 2010" so it could be a while.
/cry
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 18, 2010, 08:00:21 pm »

Well OBVIOUSLY it means it'll come out Jan. 1st, 2011.

>.>

*rides away on his flying golden unicorn*
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 18, 2011, 05:11:12 pm »

Necro! :D PC Gamer had a preview article with some nice looking screens back in May. http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/05/03/dead-state-preview/

Meanwhile the team marches on and continue to post fairly regular updates on the forums including how they're going incredibly detailed with their game world - there are 5 different restaurant chains with their own logos, menus, items, uniforms, etcetera and they currently have one artist devoted entirely to making up these fake companies and products - like the Mmm, Bison chain. So detailed!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 05:14:17 pm by Tilla »

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 18, 2011, 05:22:10 pm »

I'm looking forward to playing this. Finally, a zombie game that uses Romero-class zombies instead of L4D zombies.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 18, 2011, 05:27:32 pm »

Looks like it's shaping up nicely so far.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 18, 2011, 09:19:00 pm »

Reckon it'll be out by years end?
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 18, 2011, 09:35:44 pm »

Reckon it'll be out by years end?

Depends on which year.
Shoes...

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 05, 2012, 07:05:54 pm »

Hm, starting as a self-funded project, vaporizing for a year and then asking for money doesn't bode terribly well, I'd say.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 05, 2012, 07:14:14 pm »

Hm, starting as a self-funded project, vaporizing for a year and then asking for money doesn't bode terribly well, I'd say.
Vaporizing isn't really something I'd call it, nobody's been working on this fulltime but they've been updating when they've had anything to talk about pretty frequently on their forums
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11