Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Community meta-project idea, dorf mode AND adventure mode  (Read 2739 times)

Kinoko_Otoko

• Bay Watcher
  • Behold the saccharine visage of a fluffy wambler.
    • View Profile
Community meta-project idea, dorf mode AND adventure mode
« on: August 20, 2010, 12:58:18 pm »

I had an idea. As I understand it you can play a fortress in a given world, abandon it, and play a new one elsewhere in the world. Then you can abandon that one and play in adventure mode to explore your old fortresses, which have turned into monster infested dungeon crawls.

My idea is this: Make a community project to design a series of forts in a single world specifically for the purpose of being explored in adventure mode, with each fortress containing exactly one legendary artifact armor or weapon item. This would result in a legend of zelda-style game where you slowly collect the artifacts from each fortress until your character is outfitted from head to toe in legendary items. Different people should work on each fortress so that they all have a unique feel.

Tool manipulation would be optimal so that each legendary item fits a unique slot (no duplicates), and each fortress should be designed like a dungeon that the player will have to fight through (in other words, they will probably be at least somewhat counter intuitively from a standard fortress design viewpoint in the interest of being more interesting to explore first person).

For added fun, make each individual fortress a succession game of its own.

And here's where things could get really interesting, if we had help from Toady One...

Using save game and memory editing software, recreate artifacts, characters and fortresses from existing LPs such as Boatmurdered, Headshoots, Syrupleaf and Bronzemurdered in the same game world so that the adventure mode player can experience them all first hand and amass a true collection of legendary gear. Depending on the degree of cooperation from Toady we could see things like a unique weapon class to represent Holistic Detective's backpack as a legendary item, etc.

I didn't post in either the dorf mode or adventure mode forums because this isn't about either one per se, and I didn't post it in the community games forum because that seems to be for actually starting a community project (which I'm not doing).
I have a poor ability to manage or understand social relationships, so I leave the task to someone else... provided anyone thinks this idea has merit?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Community meta-project idea, dorf mode AND adventure mode
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 01:02:48 pm »

This has already been done a couple of times, but the idea could do with an update.

The only suggestion I have for anyone who takes part is to make sure that they consider the way Adventure mode works - you don't want to be walking around stupidly massive areas with nothing in them, especially if you can't see past the end of your nose (I remember this happening a lot in the equivalent 28.40 project).

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 01:03:09 pm »

Something similar has been done. I forget where it is, though. And you're not going to get Toady helping. but it wouldn't be necessary. We, the players, can do memory hacking and raw editing just fine.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 04:52:46 pm »

There is a problem, though - You can only have one fort being worked on at a time, or they won't be in the same world. Unless you take steps to keep them in the same world, you won't be able to collect all the artifacts with the same adventurer.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 04:54:39 pm »

There is a problem, though - You can only have one fort being worked on at a time, or they won't be in the same world. Unless you take steps to keep them in the same world, you won't be able to collect all the artifacts with the same adventurer.
one location at a time, like a succession fort.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 04:56:42 pm »

well, I would certainly be interested in such a project.

Kinoko_Otoko

• Bay Watcher
  • Behold the saccharine visage of a fluffy wambler.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 09:39:56 am »

I might try to organize such an effort once I have more experience in adventure mode - I haven't really played it yet, except for messing around a bit. The problem is I can't design a good fortress for adventure mode (or guidelines for a fortress) because I don't know how adventure mode works. If someone who's played it a lot is interested, maybe they can tell us what would make a good adventure fort?

Also, does anyone remember what the names were for the previous projects which attempted this?

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 11:03:46 pm »

I don't think I can do a good enough fort to be enjoyable by an Adventurer, but I'd certainly like to explore such a world.
You need to get more players into this! Kidnap puppies if required!

I can think of a couple suggestions...
* Build a fortress over a ruined fortress (I think it is possible, once found, the historic value would be really amusing)
* Using caves as "canvas"? Gives incentive to visit them.
* Forts over villages? A bit hard to do because of possible FPS issues but something like a castle with underground elements, and addons to the village so it's more interesting to explore.
* Non-fort but man(read:dorf)-made locations such as craters or detailed bridges.
* Allow simple cheating like [SPEED:0] so megaprojects, labyrinths and such can be constructed without much hassle.
In fact it would be possible to find a series of cheats and settings for Dorf Mode that can allow gathering story and site development faster.
* Explorer diaries! I know there is a lot of talented people around willing to write something like that. We only need to get them aboard!

As for Adventurer-oriented building, think of what you want to see. Watch an Indiana Jones movie (to mention one at random) and try to get the point into the structure. Don't make lots of empty space, put doors, traps..I don't know if caged creatures appear in Adventurer, but if they do, put them in. You basically need to forget what you learn about making an efficient fortress. Make it hard to get to point A to point B, or to obtain all treasure in a sitting. Put valuables very out of reach, make alternate pathways... You can do even one room for one given treasure, and do random stuff like floors literally full of coins (coin storage without containers? I think it is possible)
If you want to make big spaces, like a large balcony and such, use decorations, statues, armor stands...make it like you imagine medieval fanciness, with lots of stuff, engravings, rooms must have at least a minimal reason to exist, even if it's only say "this is a very fancy room". Chapels with fancy windows and with taller ceilings and stuff...And give nobility quarters they surely don't deserve. Something that tells the Adventurer "wow, the person living here had a room made of solid gold while everyone else was living in a shared room" or the opposite "this king lived in relative modesty!"
Another way to see it, is like if you were doing a Doom map. And yet another, think of levels in (old-ish tile-based)RPG titles or roguelikes, where every room tends to have a purpose of sorts.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=60913.0 This app seems designed to work with such a project. It will help getting insight on the game entities.
Count me in on anything except fort making (I can do neat buildings and structures, but I can't make the fort live through to get good story). Find me on IRC for anything as well (DalGren@#bay12games).
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 11:05:53 pm »

Something similar has been done. I forget where it is, though. And you're not going to get Toady helping. but it wouldn't be necessary. We, the players, can do memory hacking and raw editing just fine.

That was a long time ago, though, so a 31.x World of Adventure would be pretty cool.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 11:07:53 pm »

Count me in.

one LoZ dungeon rip-off, coming right up :P

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 05:13:12 am »

Could be neat, I remember the 40d version of this and it was pretty fun to play with. I suggest though that we discuss beforehand which fortress houses which items, so that you wont have all your best loot after finding one bin full of masterful adamantine.

There might also be some sense in waiting for the upcoming release, its bound to make adventurer mode a lot more worthwhile.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

TicklemeFeather

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
    • TicklemeFTR's Simple G19 keyboard GUI
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 06:40:04 am »

Isnt there one problem with all of this?...

Once you abandon/finish a fort everything that was contained within the fort gets spread around the map. I might be wrong, if so just ignore this comment.
DF as a game is the equivalent of sitting down and having a conversation with the homeless guy in the park who screams about flying children trying to rip his skin off.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 06:43:29 am »

Best way of dealing with that it to put everything important in lead bins. Or most things which are important. Nothing wrong with a little variation.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 07:00:15 am »

Yeah, or stuff the bin with heavy stuff. You know, vendor trash.

We can't use cage traps, but weapon traps would be just dandy.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 11:49:23 am »

Yeah, or stuff the bin with heavy stuff. You know, vendor trash.

We can't use cage traps, but weapon traps would be just dandy.
you can use cage traps if you want to be sadistic to those not willing to mod in a Adventurer reaction that creates a item cold/hot enough to worn through the trap. though carrying something like that might eat up some items or clothes though so it's a good trade off.
wooden traps might work best...
Code: [Select]
[REACTION:ADV_DISARM]
    [NAME:Disarm trap]
  [ADVENTURE_MODE_ENABLED]
  [PRODUCT:100:6:ITEM_INSTRUMENT_LOCKPICK:NONE:INORGANIC:WORNITE:NONE]
    [SKILL:CONCENTRATION]

[ITEM_INSTRUMENT:ITEM_INSTRUMENT_LOCKPICK]
[NAME:lockpick:lockpicks]
[HARD_MAT]

[INORGANIC:WORNITE]
   [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STONE_TEMPLATE]
   [STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:wornite][DISPLAY_COLOR:0:1:3][TILE:11]
   [STATE_NAME:LIQUID:wornite mush]
   [STATE_ADJ:LIQUID:wornite]
   [STATE_COLOR:GAS:CYAN]
   [STATE_NAME:GAS:wornite]
   [STATE_ADJ:GAS:wornite]
   [ITEM_SYMBOL:12]
   [MAT_FIXED_TEMP:1]
   [SPEC_HEAT:1]
   [BOILING_POINT_NONE]
   [COLDDAM_POINT:NONE]
   [HEATDAM_POINT:NONE]?
   [SOLID_DENSITY:10]
   [IS_STONE]   
to disarm a cage trap one must either get caught and use this to break free from the cage or spawn vermin . get the bonfire mod and burn the cage might take some time and you might end up dead but it's better than not getting the ability to "give in to starvation".
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 12:07:52 pm by Rumrusher »
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes
Pages: [1] 2