Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 660 661 [662] 663 664 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2092517 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #9915 on: March 16, 2016, 08:46:27 pm »

I find that your vassals really want to increase council power, especially at the beginning of a new character's reign, even if they are very happy with your rule. As such the best idea would be to give them what they want. Increase council power for things you'll rarely use, like banishment and executions. That way they'll be less likely to want to revolt and increase council power. Obviously it's not the perfect solution, but it is better than constant rebellions...

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9916 on: March 16, 2016, 08:58:08 pm »

Mmmm. CK+ says it's compatible. On top of that... New mods I've been dling haven't been showing up. Now I've deleted and reinstalled everything and I'm encountering a slew of problems so I think it's actually something else on my end.
Are you downloading from steam workshop? It tends to break mods for paradox games.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9917 on: March 16, 2016, 09:33:42 pm »

Hence why I suggested giving them votes stuff that you'll never use. Like banishments and executions. It'll make them less likely to push for council power, which will save you money in the long run as you won't have to fight revolts several times each generation. Also it doesn't take much gold to buy favours from couriers or barons. Stack your council full of those kinds of people if you want cheap bribes and/or laws. Or stack the council with people who really love you or... What I'm trying to say is that it's pretty easy to work your way around the council. It's less of a monster and more of a mongrel you throw a bone to every once in a while.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9918 on: March 16, 2016, 09:35:09 pm »

I don't have the Council yet (sounds cool, but I'm waiting for a deal) but I thought I read that the Council always gets control over war declaration first.  I don't know how removing their control works, but it seemed to imply that they would always have that power or no powers.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9919 on: March 16, 2016, 09:36:54 pm »

That is rather true. I still never had much of a problem with councils with declaring wars and stuff.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9920 on: March 16, 2016, 10:10:53 pm »

I find that your vassals really want to increase council power, especially at the beginning of a new character's reign, even if they are very happy with your rule. As such the best idea would be to give them what they want. Increase council power for things you'll rarely use, like banishment and executions. That way they'll be less likely to want to revolt and increase council power. Obviously it's not the perfect solution, but it is better than constant rebellions...
I'm not giving them any council power. I like being able to declare wars when I want. And it's expensive trying to pass laws I want when I need to bribe everyone into it.
Yeah, I punish the Councillors, no matter how much they claim to like me.  Revolt, revoke, now they're not councillors and they're weaker.  Obviously, if they truly liked me as much as they claim to like me, they won't be stinking rebels.

That is rather true. I still never had much of a problem with councils with declaring wars and stuff.
I have problems sometimes telling why the council won't let me declare war.  If I understood that better, I'd just wage the type of wars they want me to wage.  Unless I can't, then probably wait till the vote comes around and bribe them into repealing the War law.
EDIT: Yes, I know they look at Pragmatic (weaker realms), Glory (stronger realms), and Religious (wars that increase moral authority), but it isn't always that clear to me.  And it would be nice to see that it was working as intended and not flawed like things often are...

EDIT2: Fun fact: I've logged 664 hours in Crusader Kings 2, and still not explored everything.  Last time I played Muslims was prior to their changes to the decadence system, and its been ages since I've played a Patrician.  And I still haven't played nomads to any great degree.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9921 on: March 16, 2016, 10:46:57 pm »

I have problems sometimes telling why the council won't let me declare war.  If I understood that better, I'd just wage the type of wars they want me to wage.  Unless I can't, then probably wait till the vote comes around and bribe them into repealing the War law.
EDIT: Yes, I know they look at Pragmatic (weaker realms), Glory (stronger realms), and Religious (wars that increase moral authority), but it isn't always that clear to me.  And it would be nice to see that it was working as intended and not flawed like things often are...

EDIT2: Fun fact: I've logged 664 hours in Crusader Kings 2, and still not explored everything.  Last time I played Muslims was prior to their changes to the decadence system, and its been ages since I've played a Patrician.  And I still haven't played nomads to any great degree.
Have you clicked on the button that expands the list of why councillors are agreeing / disagreeing? If you hover over that expanded list it also gives another checklist of why they are deciding on something. The only time I've had issue with that one is when it goes "not my preferred target". Well what is your preferred target?!

I thought Councillors were annoying until I realized if you just put two advisors who really love you in it, they'll become loyalist and agree with you with everything. Not to mention if their diplomacy is high, they'll influence the other guys to vote for you too. So unless all 5 of your real council really loathe you, you'll probably get everything passed. You need them for the bonus vassal limit anyway late in the game.

The thing I'm most annoyed by is the removal of "vassals not allowed to war one another". They replaced it with Realm Peace which is a load of junk, only lasting 5 years with a 5 year cooldown.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9922 on: March 16, 2016, 11:36:36 pm »

That's definitely something intended to make playing as a vassal, esp. in the Byzantine Empire, something... Not horrendous.

It's actually one of the main reasons I don't tend to play as a vassal, the possibility (or inevitability) of being stuck for years on end, just passing time, because of that inability to war.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9923 on: March 16, 2016, 11:41:43 pm »

That's definitely something intended to make playing as a vassal, esp. in the Byzantine Empire, something... Not horrendous.

It's actually one of the main reasons I don't tend to play as a vassal, the possibility (or inevitability) of being stuck for years on end, just passing time, because of that inability to war.

That's when an intrigue focus comes into play.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9924 on: March 16, 2016, 11:42:29 pm »

Then it's waiting for years on end for assassination or intrigue events to proc. Either way, it's a horrendous time of waiting and being bored.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9925 on: March 17, 2016, 12:34:02 am »

But then when it's on the other side of the fence, when you become the ruler... now it's like. Why the fuck are my vassals warring non-stop. Literally non-stop. There's not a single second where my vassals aren't at war. Who the fuck runs this fucking country? Oh it's me. Why can't I do anything about it!? All my vassals are constantly moving around and this duke is mad at me because his rebelling vassal is now my vassal and he gets a relations penalty with me because he wants control of that vassal.

And then you know what's even more fun?

When your vassal dies after being killed by a rebel and you inherit that viceroyalty / demense / whatever. Bam. Now you have to deal with that rebellion. And you get bonus threat for your efforts. Yay!

Protip: Don't bother with viceroyalties unless you like being at permanent 100% threat.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9926 on: March 17, 2016, 12:40:08 am »

git gud at intrigue.

I agree though, that the old system (where you could be in a nation prohibiting internal wars, or one that doesn't) was better. I think it would be optimal if there was a set of laws where either vassals have the right to war, this new system is applied, or vassals are always prohibited from warring.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #9927 on: March 17, 2016, 05:31:53 am »

Protip: Don't bother with viceroyalties unless you like being at permanent 100% threat.
That sounds like SOMEONE didn't fully beta test their new feature...
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9928 on: March 17, 2016, 05:42:25 am »

Is there a functioning way to aquire a kingdom? For aesthetic reasons I need to take over Poland and add it my empire so it doesn't look a cancerous penis, but my only decent shot on it - to overthrow a king and install a wife of one of my vassals (Princess of Poland) didn't work - not only she was quickly overthrown, but I don't think I could actually procure their vassalage out of it.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9929 on: March 17, 2016, 06:29:41 am »

Is there a functioning way to aquire a kingdom? For aesthetic reasons I need to take over Poland and add it my empire so it doesn't look a cancerous penis, but my only decent shot on it - to overthrow a king and install a wife of one of my vassals (Princess of Poland) didn't work - not only she was quickly overthrown, but I don't think I could actually procure their vassalage out of it.

My personal preference would be to become a faith capable of holy warring them for it and then seizing their lands through religious genocide, but that's not always practical.

If you're a king rank you can't use vassals to gain other kingdoms, you'll need to either acquire a claim yourself through marriage, or fabricate claims on their duchies individually.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.
Pages: 1 ... 660 661 [662] 663 664 ... 1002