Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 583 584 [585] 586 587 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2091150 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #8760 on: August 31, 2015, 05:53:03 pm »

I've heard they don't suffer consequences from being unable to pay mercenaries.
But generally no, they don't get flat across the board bonuses like in some games.  More like beneficial glitches.  Usually there's some explanation...  Certain nations get "event troops" for various reasons (the player would too).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8761 on: August 31, 2015, 06:35:23 pm »

Oh nice, I haven't actually played much since Horse Lords came out.  Maybe that's been fixed, and if so, hell yes.  I have seen a lot of landed (but generally small) holy orders, would be nice to see some mercenary lands too.

Liquidia!

Why yes I will plug that comic at every opportunity.  It's MGS canon but better.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8762 on: August 31, 2015, 06:40:22 pm »

I've heard they don't suffer consequences from being unable to pay mercenaries.
But generally no, they don't get flat across the board bonuses like in some games.  More like beneficial glitches.  Usually there's some explanation...  Certain nations get "event troops" for various reasons (the player would too).
I've seen enough mercenary countries to know that they do suffer consequences. Major ones.

Is this something in the new DLC? 'Cause that sounds pretty entertaining.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #8763 on: August 31, 2015, 06:42:33 pm »

I remember mercenaries taking land back when Sword of Islam was the most recent expansion.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8764 on: August 31, 2015, 06:44:53 pm »

Pretty sure they would take land from the player, but I've never heard or seen them take it from AIs.  But again, haven't played recently.
She/they

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8765 on: August 31, 2015, 06:47:10 pm »

I've not really experienced much with mercenaries I think.

One time I ran out of money and they betrayed me, which was essentially game-ending for me at the time (it was early in an Irish start) but I don't really pay attention too much to other guys having mercenaries.

I do remember managing to capture the head of the Hashashin at one point, and then I got the head of one of my courtiers in a box which I thought was pretty cool. Then I executed him.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8766 on: August 31, 2015, 06:56:02 pm »

One time I ran out of money and they betrayed me
You know you can just disband them, anytime, with 0 consequences? (before they betray you, I mean.)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8767 on: August 31, 2015, 06:57:35 pm »

Which makes the consequences kinda a trap for people who don't know that.  But I think sometimes they'll keep working for you without their pay, which would make it a viable choice.
Besides, the consequences are kinda awesome.
She/they

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8768 on: August 31, 2015, 07:09:27 pm »

Well they did stick around for a few months of negative coin.

Then, shortly before I was about to finish the siege of my enemies one remaining castle, they went "naaaaah".

I prefer relying on my own guys anyway. The annoying thing about mercs is they start off with 0 morale, so you're paying them to just stand around getting happy for a few months.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #8769 on: August 31, 2015, 07:15:28 pm »

Pretty sure they would take land from the player, but I've never heard or seen them take it from AIs.  But again, haven't played recently.
No, I mean I saw them take land from the AI literally years ago.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8770 on: August 31, 2015, 07:19:50 pm »

The only mercenaries I really like to use are the Varangian Guard.  They are cheap and a bit on the small side, but large enough to help with a bunch of rolling holy wars in the tribal lands north of Byzantium.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8771 on: August 31, 2015, 07:31:48 pm »

Well sure if you are literally the (Eastern) Roman Empire :P
She/they

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8772 on: September 01, 2015, 01:34:49 am »

Yeah, mercenaries turning on you and the AI has definitely been in since vanilla or one of the very first DLCs. It could be that it's been tuned to happen less often with the AI though, since it's pretty crappy at budgeting.
Love, scriver~

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8773 on: September 03, 2015, 02:41:57 pm »

The Kingdoms of France, Aquitane and Andalusia have all been forced to kneel before the might of the Empire of Alba.

The Frankish Empire has been steadily gnawed into irrelevance, it's capital seized for my own use, and it's lesser realms passed to family offshoots as consolation prizes.

Andalusia made the foolish error of allowing an arab with a claim to the sultanate to make his way to my realm. A simple gift of land and a short war clawed almost all of Spain into my iron grip. The locals are heathen foreigners for the most part, but in time that will change.

Somehow the Druidic faith has spread to the nomads of the eastern steppes. I am unsure quite how, though I suppose the number of my vassals that have run off to join mercenary bands might have something to do with it.

In but a few years the time of Great Holy Wars will begin, and then all the world will have to tremble before the might of the largest empire on the planet as it sweeps aside entire kingdoms like wheat before the scythe.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8774 on: September 03, 2015, 03:04:09 pm »

You just needed a little Alba room.