Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 581 582 [583] 584 585 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2091082 times)

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #8730 on: August 18, 2015, 10:46:51 am »

Well, I don't really see what would stop a big reformed pagan country to create a HRE workalike, even if that's very unlikely.
Remember that the Ottoman Empire based it's legitimacy partly on the idea that they were a continuation of the Roman Empire, just like the Byzantine Romans had been. I see no reason a large pagan power couldn't, alt-historically speaking, see that whole Roman Empire thing and decide it wants itself a slice of that pizza pie.
I'm not sure how this is different from the Empire of Scandinavia. You could always rename the empire as well to the Roman Empire.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8731 on: August 18, 2015, 10:49:59 am »

Let's take this one step further!

Everyone is Roman Empire. little OPM in england? roman empire.

indians who have never heard of rome? roman empire.

once everyone is roman, no one is roman. or something :P

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #8732 on: August 18, 2015, 10:52:29 am »

I'm not sure how this is different from the Empire of Scandinavia. You could always rename the empire as well to the Roman Empire.
AFAIK, it doesn't work like HRE (events, events everywhere), it's just regular empire.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8733 on: August 18, 2015, 11:12:22 am »

AFAIK, it doesn't work like HRE (events, events everywhere), it's just regular empire.
So in other words you just want more event support for non-Catholic empires?

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #8734 on: August 18, 2015, 11:15:53 am »

Indeed. Some non-catholic ones already have some nice support, but the rest is generalized a lot. I haven't fought for Wendish Empire so hard to just see I can't actually do anything fun with it except conquering more world.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8735 on: August 18, 2015, 12:40:50 pm »

Specifically, in-depth mechanics for non-catholic empires similar to the HRE.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8736 on: August 18, 2015, 02:00:33 pm »

Wait, I'm confused, how is the HRE different from any other Agnatic Elective empire?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8737 on: August 18, 2015, 02:02:55 pm »

Yeah, what events are you talking about? Are you sure you're not thinking of mod-added stuff?
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8738 on: August 18, 2015, 02:14:38 pm »

In vanilla, the only empire with events, as far as I know, is the Byzantine/Restored Roman Empire
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8739 on: August 18, 2015, 03:17:11 pm »

Yeah, what events are you talking about? Are you sure you're not thinking of mod-added stuff?

I may just be muddling it with the HRE in EU3
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8740 on: August 18, 2015, 05:07:53 pm »

Remember that the Ottoman Empire based it's legitimacy partly on the idea that they were a continuation of the Roman Empire, just like the Byzantine Romans had been. I see no reason a large pagan power couldn't, alt-historically speaking, see that whole Roman Empire thing and decide it wants itself a slice of that pizza pie.
Pretty much every single Empire in the European continent based its legitimacy off of being the successor to the Roman Empire, doesn't mean anyone actually considered them to be so. Hell, the Russian Empire with its cold wastes that were entirely untouched by the Roman Empire were one such Empire carrying the eagle onwards.
The only European Empires I can recall that weren't toting any claim to the Roman Empire are the Napoleonic French Empire and the British Empire, since the latter claimed its Imperial status through India and the former through being good conquerors. And the former were still fond of eagles... Heh. Also dat sultanate of Rum

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8741 on: August 18, 2015, 05:48:59 pm »

Pretty much every single Empire in the European continent based its legitimacy off of being the successor to the Roman Empire, doesn't mean anyone actually considered them to be so. Hell, the Russian Empire with its cold wastes that were entirely untouched by the Roman Empire were one such Empire carrying the eagle onwards.
The only European Empires I can recall that weren't toting any claim to the Roman Empire are the Napoleonic French Empire and the British Empire, since the latter claimed its Imperial status through India and the former through being good conquerors. And the former were still fond of eagles... Heh. Also dat sultanate of Rum
To be fair the Russian Empire claimed its legitimacy through the Orthodox faith more than the land it owned, and it did own a fair bit of the northern coast of the Black sea. But I completely agree with you, the Romans were the greatest empire of their time, even the peoples who ended up responsible for the fall of the Romans wanted to be Rome.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8742 on: August 18, 2015, 05:51:11 pm »

The Russian Empire totally claimed its legitimacy from the Roman. That's what this whole "Third Rome" business was about.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8743 on: August 18, 2015, 06:02:15 pm »

The Russian Empire totally claimed its legitimacy from the Roman. That's what this whole "Third Rome" business was about.
If you're responding to me, I'm not saying it didn't, I'm also saying that it claimed that legitimacy through religion more than the cold Russian Steppe that Whispers was exaggerating on to make his point.
Sigtext

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8744 on: August 18, 2015, 06:49:27 pm »

The presence of one claim does not invalidate any others; only the Byzantines' legitimacy really rested on their official Romantm Empire status, largely because they were the last Empire people called the Roman Empire. I don't know how seriously the Russian Empire staked its Romantm status but I also doubt it was as significant as its status as the protector of the Orthodox faith.
Pages: 1 ... 581 582 [583] 584 585 ... 1002