Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 540 541 [542] 543 544 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2090682 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #8115 on: June 30, 2015, 08:54:30 am »

also screenshots pls
Imgur was fucked at the time so I couldn't weave in screencaps, but all the important ones are there.

Also, starting after the end run now. Don't know what to expect, picked a small count on the Canadian border, surrounded by Norse warriors and French Christians (whose philosophy the Miroslav has adopted). I like to imagine that this game follows on 1,100 years after the Miroslavs took control of every administrative, religious, financial and political authority from Iceland to India and the Ilkhanate; leaving the world divided between the Miroslav world Empire and the High American Aztec Empire in North America. At some point the Aztecs fell to a Miroslav power, or a successor state to the Miroslavs, and the Aztecs or their successor went nuclear. The mutually assured destruction brought havoc upon the world for centuries, until the memory of the Miroslav was as distant as the memory of the Karlings was to them.

I must remind them.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8116 on: June 30, 2015, 05:26:18 pm »

Can someone tell me what the After the End mod is about? I've looked around and all I can find are features that come with the "new" version of the mod, but never any full descriptions of the mod itself. As far as I can tell, it takes place in 2666 America.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8117 on: June 30, 2015, 06:07:49 pm »

It's an excuse to have a Medieval Feudal America, with Fallout and others references, wacky new religions, and atomic bomb worshipers. It's great.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8118 on: June 30, 2015, 06:10:52 pm »

That's pretty much it. It takes place in the American future, after an apocalypse of some sort has reverted the world to a quasi-medieval state. America has turned into a bunch of europe-esque feuding states, tribes, and kingdoms, fueled by the fragmentation caused by an inspired and spirited reinterpretation of North American culture, traditions, history, or just minor quirks.
Love, scriver~

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8119 on: June 30, 2015, 07:04:09 pm »

That's pretty much it. It takes place in the American future, after an apocalypse of some sort has reverted the world to a quasi-medieval state. America has turned into a bunch of europe-esque feuding states, tribes, and kingdoms, fueled by the fragmentation caused by an inspired and spirited reinterpretation of North American culture, traditions, history, or just minor quirks.
Yeah, it is full of stuff like mercenaries being named after sports teams, the silicon valley inhabitants worshiping "gurus"(Jobs, Gates, etc), mad prophets bringing the Holy Word of Capitalism and more such awesome.

And now we get to see LW wreck all that.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8120 on: June 30, 2015, 07:32:40 pm »

Ok, so say my son is betrothed to a duchess who isn't my vassal. If he gets married, he'll go off to her court and his child will be an independent duke. If I gave him a county, he'd stay in my kingdom after marrying, but if he dies and his child inherits, will the child still be part of my kingdom? What if the mother then dies? Will the new ducal child be my vassal?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8121 on: June 30, 2015, 08:10:36 pm »

Ok, so say my son is betrothed to a duchess who isn't my vassal. If he gets married, he'll go off to her court and his child will be an independent duke. If I gave him a county, he'd stay in my kingdom after marrying, but if he dies and his child inherits, will the child still be part of my kingdom? What if the mother then dies? Will the new ducal child be my vassal?
I am pretty sure that if a landed noble not under you inherits a title in your realm, that title leaves your realm. If said noble is part of your realm and inherits something outside, they remain under you as long as their new title is not on the same tier as your top one.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8122 on: June 30, 2015, 08:17:14 pm »

I think how it works is that if they inherit a higher title it becomes their main one, but if it's the same level or lower it doesn't.  So, if they're your count and they inherit a county from another kingdom, that new county becomes yours, but if they inherit a duchy, then that duchy gets the old county.  Whichever one is higher is more important, but if they're the same, then what matters is which was first.

So give him a duchy.

Edit:  Actually, that might not work if the wife dies first.  I've had that happen.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8123 on: June 30, 2015, 08:24:40 pm »

I am pretty sure that if a landed noble not under you inherits a title in your realm, that title leaves your realm. If said noble is part of your realm and inherits something outside, they remain under you as long as their new title is not on the same tier as your top one.
In that case, I'll need to get lucky so that my son dies before his wife so the child stays in my realm. I miss the old days where you could get your kids killed if you were willing to spend enough. At this rate, I can only do that if I die and my daughter decides her brother just has to go.
Actually, something I forgot to mention is that I have High Crown Authority, meaning that lands can't leave my realm. Is that enough to make sure the county won't be inherited away if the duchess dies first?

On another note, I currently have an alliance with Brittany, Castille, the HRE, and the Byzantines. As Navarra, would that be enough to take Aragon from the Muslims or will too many infidels join in the defence of the Sultan? I have two children who after they grow up, I'll have Lotharingia (they're pretty down in the dumps), Burgundy (healthy), and Italy (healthy) also on my side. If I die, my successor will lose Brittany as an ally. (They give around 4k men, surprisingly.)

EDIT: For reference, Umayyad sultan is allied with Abyssid sultan. Together, they hold more than half of the Muslim world. Abyssids recently tried taking Mesopotamia from the Byzantines again and they were winning, but then something happened and it ended in a white peace. I think Byzantines won a few awesome battles once Bulgaria joined in.

Update: So as it turns out, they stopped having an alliance and the two were actually at war. With Umayyad out of the way, it was easy to remove kebab from Portucale with HRE's help.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 01:45:06 am by Andres »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8124 on: July 01, 2015, 11:39:39 am »

Dev diary day

The map extension is not like that of Rajas. Instead, they added 27 new counties (divided into 8 duchies and 2 kingdoms) to the wasteland on the eastern part of the map. These counties include the Orkhon valley, as well as Karabalgasun and Karakorum. There also new cultures: Uyghur, Khitan, Sogdian and Tocharian.

The mongols themselves (as Khalkha) will be playable even in the CM start date, but will be a tributary of the Uyghurs. The main religions in the area are Manichean (doesn't seem to be getting any mechanics) and Buddhism. The Tarim Basin will also feature Silk Road provinces, probably being one of the sources (the other, I guess, is in India).

There are also new modding features. I'll just copy and paste that bit.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As for a few misc features, we can now move prisoners freely between the regular dungeon, the oubliette and house arrest. Banishment of characters has also been changed, so that they instead are forced to abdicate to their new heir (you no longer steal their titles). There is now more loot in tribal counties so they are raided more. The name of the opinion modifiers now show up in tooltips instead of "opinion changes by -10"

Spoiler: Images (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 12:19:31 pm by Teneb »

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8125 on: July 01, 2015, 12:01:14 pm »

No more banishing to get free titles? Damn. That'll suckw hen this comes out, buuut I don't use it all that often anyway.

Just to get rid of uppity claimants who I landed so I can get that kingdom they've been petitioning me to grab :P

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8126 on: July 01, 2015, 12:09:29 pm »

Meh, banishing for titles was already prohibitively tyrannical.  Banishment is basically a convenient way to revoke every title at once - with all the tyranny that involves.  That's why unlanded courtiers can be banished without tyranny.  Now I would expect it to cost no tyranny at all, since nothing's being revoked. 

Even execution only costs 10 tyranny, since the titles are inherited as normal.  A single death is nothing compared to betraying the vassal contract.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8127 on: July 01, 2015, 12:18:04 pm »

Meh, banishing for titles was already prohibitively tyrannical.  Banishment is basically a convenient way to revoke every title at once - with all the tyranny that involves.  That's why unlanded courtiers can be banished without tyranny.  Now I would expect it to cost no tyranny at all, since nothing's being revoked. 

Even execution only costs 10 tyranny, since the titles are inherited as normal.  A single death is nothing compared to betraying the vassal contract.
I'm guessing the purpose of banishing now is to force succession.

Not in the dev diary itself but said by one of the devs in the comments: If a mongol noble gets powerful enough, he'll be able to declare himself Genghis Khan. If no one does that until the early 13th century, Temujin will appear at the map's edge.

Forgot to do the image thing in the last post. I'm editing them in.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8128 on: July 01, 2015, 12:57:23 pm »

I feel like it's only a matter of time before they add China and/or SE Asia to the game. Which would be awesome. You have the Tang Dynasty in China, the early cultural contact between China and Japan, and the An Lushan Rebellion.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8129 on: July 01, 2015, 01:01:40 pm »

I feel like it's only a matter of time before they add China and/or SE Asia to the game. Which would be awesome. You have the Tang Dynasty in China, the early cultural contact between China and Japan, and the An Lushan Rebellion.
Groogy, one of the lead devs, has stated that he and Doomdark (another lead dev) want to do China once they are done optimizing the engine. So it really is just a matter of time. Apparently the main source of lag is not India, but the Middle East with the Byzantine and Caliphates being the main offenders. I'm guessing it is due to the huge armies and loads of characters.
Pages: 1 ... 540 541 [542] 543 544 ... 1002