Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 464 465 [466] 467 468 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2090530 times)

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #6975 on: January 23, 2015, 01:55:37 am »

So I recently started iron man mode for the first time and the game seems to be intent on screwing me over as often as possible. Most recently I joined an independence revolt thinking to split the kingdom of Georgia so I could easily scoop it up later. Only later did I find out that the rebels only held a random duchy carved out of Greece, leaving me to do all the work for no real gain. To make things worse, the rebel leader's wife randomly decided to have me assassinated. One of my brothers carried out a failed assassination attempt but I can't arrest him for it. The game says he is "currently immune to hostile actions" and refuses to elaborate, what the hell? I can't imprison him, get him out of the plot or even revoke his title so he's just going to be a constant thorn in my side.

On top of it all, I have leprosy and my only children are two daughters, of which the non-heir will get my only remaining county. Doesn't it have to go to the primary heir for her to inherit the higher titles? I very much doubt I'll be able to have a son or change the succession laws before dying.

Edit: Well shit. I died and by some nuance of succession that I didn't know about, ended up playing as the now nearly-powerless king of Georgia. My much larger kingdom of Alania which I had worked so hard to build simply evaporated. Apparently female heirs married to rulers are just disqualified from succession despite the game not telling you. God dammit.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 02:25:35 am by nogoodnames »
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6976 on: January 23, 2015, 02:43:45 am »

There's quite a lot of intricacies to learn about the game. Just think of it as DF-style where "losing is fun".

It's good to play as ironman as the victories are all the more sweeter when accompanied by the bitter taste of defeat.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #6977 on: January 23, 2015, 03:21:54 am »

I thought the game did warn you when marrying a female heir off patrilinialy that it was a dumb move. But yeah, once a marriage happens, the spouse is effectively part of the new house. Also, pretty sure you can't imprison during revolts. Or something along those lines.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6978 on: January 23, 2015, 03:33:42 am »

The spouse stays their same house, just any children they have is of the house who dominates the marriage. If you kill the dominant spouse or divorce them, and marry them in an alternate marriage, the children will be of the formerly-submissive spouse.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6979 on: January 23, 2015, 03:44:35 am »

The spouse stays their same house, just any children they have is of the house who dominates the marriage. If you kill the dominant spouse or divorce them, and marry them in an alternate marriage, the children will be of the formerly-submissive spouse.

The phrasing makes it sound like medieval royalty was waaaay into BDSM.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6980 on: January 23, 2015, 08:30:37 am »

So the Holy Roman Empress and the Byzantine Emperor died within a month of each others, letting me press my wife's claim to the HRE and my daugther-in law's Claim to the Byzantine Empire. In the meantime, the Seljuk just had a terrible succession and imploded in one big revolt, a dozen small duchies and a small Kingdom.

I feel like it's Christmas again.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

bQt31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6981 on: January 23, 2015, 08:34:52 am »

Is there any way to have the saving process be faster? Each autosave is getting ridiculously long for me in Ironman after a few centuries. It's getting to a point where half of my playtime is spent saving the game..

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6982 on: January 23, 2015, 09:25:27 am »

Is there any way to have the saving process be faster? Each autosave is getting ridiculously long for me in Ironman after a few centuries. It's getting to a point where half of my playtime is spent saving the game..
Other than upgrading your PC? I don't think so.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6983 on: January 23, 2015, 11:46:25 am »

I thought the game did warn you when marrying a female heir off patrilinialy that it was a dumb move. But yeah, once a marriage happens, the spouse is effectively part of the new house. Also, pretty sure you can't imprison during revolts. Or something along those lines.

That's the thing though, the king was of my dynasty and I even married them matrilinealy just in case. The game still said my daughter would inherit the kingdom and never gave any indication that I wouldn't be playing as her. I'll accept some of the blame, I knew having her marry the king would probably cause problems of succession, but I had no idea it would just erase my kingdom. I've been making some boneheaded moves and I think it's because I've been sick and it's affecting my mind.

Well the king of Georgia seems royally screwed. He has only two loyal provinces while the rest of his kingdom is rebelling. I didn't check the reason but I think it has to do with putting a duke on the throne. The rebels are laying siege to his capital and have already captured the other province. The idiot got all his troops killed fighting against Cumania in someone else's war, before I took over and I doubt he can hire the mercenaries needed to avert defeat.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6984 on: January 23, 2015, 05:24:28 pm »

Edit: Well shit. I died and by some nuance of succession that I didn't know about, ended up playing as the now nearly-powerless king of Georgia. My much larger kingdom of Alania which I had worked so hard to build simply evaporated. Apparently female heirs married to rulers are just disqualified from succession despite the game not telling you. God dammit.

Agnatic succession does not allow for females to inherit, regardless of marriage. 

Raddish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6985 on: January 23, 2015, 05:49:49 pm »

So amazingly enough the Seljuk are holding my Empire to a standstill in a war.  This could be the first war I have lost in a very long time...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6986 on: January 23, 2015, 05:54:38 pm »

I really should play a non-pagan next, because even West Africans seem OP as hell when player-controlled.  I've basically forgotten the interesting mechanics of marriage-inheritance, casus belli, and the pope.

Because I recently hit 1066 from 867 and I've not only formed the Principality (trade empire) of Mali from islam-oppressed tribals, but I've nearly finished upgrading my mansion.  It's top tier, and has all the accessories maxed except for the horse pens.

Thanks to pagan raiding (despite reforming) I have all the money I need to constantly upgrade my mansion and even my duchy (which I fabricated and captured from those bastards House Mousse).

Thanks to pagan concubines I have 25 male family members in court, boosting my trade posts to 39.  In 1066, mind.  The other families apparently have no idea how to handle a pagan republic, the most populous one only has 13 males for 19 trade posts.

Thanks to my success, I've established universities and most other upgrades throughout my duchy, and am pushing hard against the "Ahead penalty" for every tech which actually matters.

Seriously, is there a real choice between Military Organization and... ANY other military tech?  I only ever raise levies to deal with these annoying vikings (in africa, mind).  Including MY OWN levies.  I'm at 4 bars in Light Infantry as well, but that's +30% vs the amount of retinue cap provided by Military Organization: +600%.  Which is slightly misleading but only slightly...  My loyal armies, purely Free Warriors (LI with a few archers) massacre anything with equal numbers.  Apparently heavy armor and horses are no match for poisoned blowguns.

And the culture techs seem to suck across the board.  As if I care about +6 opinion from a class of vassals.  I'm noticing just now that Popular Customs is my lowest , despite me being a trade republic...  Because +6 relation instead of +4 *doesn't freakin matter*.  I've been putting all those trash points into Majesty on the off chance it boosts my heir's prestige.  I don't know, and I don't care, the culture tech points are useless anyway.

Maybe tolerance would be useful if I was attempting world conquest.  But I'm not.  It's 1066 and I've converted my entire domain to West Africa faith.  Including ALL of ANDALUSIA.  That's right, the Reconquista will be versus Animism instead of Islam...  If it ever happens.  I wouldn't have even invaded Spain except that the high priest declared a Great Holy War.

Now the real challenge:  Can I bear managing my disfunctional family for 2-4 hundred years until the aztecs arrive.  I never have maintained interest long enough to see them, but I'm determined to do it this time.  I just have to sit tight and rake in the gold, and resist the temptation to conquer all of Europe.

Starting to think the endgame in this game is lacking, or pagans are *even more* OP than I thought.  I shouldn't be entering the endgame at 1066...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Raddish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6987 on: January 23, 2015, 06:17:45 pm »

I still haven't ever finished a game yet.  Here's hoping this will be my first I see through to the end.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6988 on: January 23, 2015, 06:20:13 pm »

Starting to think the endgame in this game is lacking, or pagans are *even more* OP than I thought.  I shouldn't be entering the endgame at 1066...

Pagans are generally ridiculously OP, although pretty much anything is broken in this game once you've learned the intricacies of it :)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6989 on: January 23, 2015, 06:25:44 pm »

Pagans are generally ridiculously OP, although pretty much anything is broken in this game once you've learned the intricacies of it :)

And Pagans with a Republic to boot... that's just brutally OP if you handle it right.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 464 465 [466] 467 468 ... 1002