Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 441 442 [443] 444 445 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2092557 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #6630 on: December 25, 2014, 07:48:15 am »

Yeah, looks like weird things might happen if I give them the kingdom. It does still look useful to vassalize them, though. I'm the only independent Germanic pagan left, so it's not like I want them to help defend other vikings out there. I think I'll just give them a sprinkling of the baronies I'm seizing from Slavs and Catholics, so they have some teeth if I ever need them. I'm guessing once I make the push to reclaim Germanic holy sites I'll get hit with a crusade, since apparently taking Braunschweig triggers it for them.

That's nothing, try hitting Rome with a lolconquest.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #6631 on: December 25, 2014, 02:56:53 pm »

Yeah, looks like weird things might happen if I give them the kingdom. It does still look useful to vassalize them, though. I'm the only independent Germanic pagan left, so it's not like I want them to help defend other vikings out there. I think I'll just give them a sprinkling of the baronies I'm seizing from Slavs and Catholics, so they have some teeth if I ever need them. I'm guessing once I make the push to reclaim Germanic holy sites I'll get hit with a crusade, since apparently taking Braunschweig triggers it for them.

I did that, backpedaled immediately.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6632 on: December 25, 2014, 03:59:00 pm »

I did that, backpedaled immediately.
I didn't, quite. Instead, I took my landless son who JUST SO HAPPENED to be the only Catholic (and a Zealous one, to boot) among my otherwise properly Norse Pagan kids (at least male ones), granted him the county and independence, then when the inevitable war broke out, I got one annoying heir out of the way, THEN when the pope called the crusade on me I loaded my entire army on the navy, ferried them to Rome and beat up the - now weakened by the two sieges - county before much more rulers joined in on the fight, getting a 100% Warscore on the pope.

Sure, I still didn't *get* it, but that damn sure sabotaged the Catholic moral authority.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6633 on: December 26, 2014, 04:08:24 am »

Pagan tribals can blob up really quickly, with subjugations and tribal armies. I went from a one province count in Norway to a reformed feudal Scandinavia in 40 years in my current game. Then spent most of the 800s pitifully weak, since leaving tribalism is harsh.

I have no idea why the Andalusians end up Catholic so often, though.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6634 on: December 26, 2014, 05:39:10 am »

Pagans rise quickly and fall quickly, that's intentional.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6635 on: December 26, 2014, 05:50:38 am »

What's embarrassing for the Ummayads(?) is the regions around Jerusalem and Ascalon are starting to become catholic - it's even bleeding out of that region into muslim lands! From one successful Crusade, they're gonna be cleaning up forever. Pity my character's fucked, I lost four counties due to inheritance reasons, and have to slowly take them back over time by declaring war on an ally. At least I managed to install a Ua Briain in England, now known as Sasana, and a Ua Briain in Norge, now known as Norway.

Also, fuck the Aztecs with a rusty knife. They dropped 200,000 soldiers in Connachta that don't suffer attrition. I hired all of Christendom's five holy orders, as many mercs as I could feasibly afford, sent my Gallowglass retinues down to Ulaidh/Ulster, raised my demesne and my levy, and i had maybe 45,000?
Even with Norway, Poland, Sasana-England, Aquitaine, Leon and Breizh-Brittany's help with another ~8000 soldiers each, i was still no match. In the end I got frustrated and cheated more money in to hire more mercs, exhausting the world's supply of mercenaries. Still only had 115k after all this including demesne, levy, holy orders x5, allies x6, mercs x all that existed and the gallowglass retinue.
I thought I was going to lose until their incredibly intelligent AI FLED MID BATTLE to try sieging bloody Tyrconnell/Tir Chonaill. They split up into 40k not-very-doomstacks after that, and while I was suffering horrible attrition by being in a single clump, i knew it was the only option for me to even remotely win with.

I won, but their bloody event soldiers are still sitting in my territory getting reinforcements!? The moment they declare war again, i'm facing another 100k soldiers just from the reinforced event troops alone.

Sunset bloody Invasion is fucking annoying. I would have preferred them simply as another map you could flick to or play.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6636 on: December 26, 2014, 05:59:04 am »

Either the Germanic faith is OP, Svithjod (as the game calls it in my savefile) is OP, or I get really lucky. It's 812 and I've got 75% of the Scandinavian provinces AND I've just reformed the faith (I was running out of weak targets and I'm gonna need to become a merchant republic soon enough. As in 'Get tribal organisation up and that's it, republic!').

EDIT: AND the Ummayads are Catholic now. For some reason. And the Abbasids are breaking up. Slowly but surely.

Pagans are great at uniting under a strong ruler like Sigurdr and Ragnar so Svithjod is greatest for it. Perhaps a little overpowered only because reforming the faith is too easy, so the whole christianization thing is easily avoidable. But with the AI playing it they rarely survive so it's fine.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #6637 on: December 26, 2014, 06:06:54 am »

I've never had the Aztec Invasion trigger in a non-spectator game, usually have it off or don't get that far.

Kind of bizarre that they don't suffer attrition.  Even if these Aztecs are super good at foraging there wouldn't be enough local resources to feed and pay a huge horde like that and unlike the Mongols they have an ocean between them and the homeland.  The Europeans suffered horrible supply problems going to the Americas despite coming in tiny numbers, with better overall tech than the alternate history Aztecs have.  Plus the horrible diseases issue would be made a million times worse by having a 200,000 soldiers in the same place and everything that entails.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Ant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6638 on: December 26, 2014, 01:45:23 pm »

The Aztec invasion IS supposed to be a 'Mongols from the west' situation. Makes sense that there's LOADS of them, and they won't suffer attrition because if they did the player would probably sit there and let them attrition away.

Yep, but I personally would've liked that those 200k would have suffered attrition until they'd have some decent port seized. Or there'd be decent sea battle system and Aztecs would have the transport/support fleet that would reduce attrition when the horde would be in beach territories? ATM it's just horrendous and Aztecs usually blob so hard that EUIV France'd be jealous.

TheCondor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6639 on: December 26, 2014, 02:17:21 pm »

I've been having a ton of fun playing a welsh lord from the Old Gods start date.  Started with just the boring idea of reforming Britannia as welsh, then a crusade started for southern france.  The karlings had gone mad it seems while I was playing, (southern france karling went suni, northern france went lollard, karlings in germany and Bavaria got revolted against and now are both a christian theoracy.)  I sent all my forces into the crusade becuase I didn't want europe getting overran by muslims and I ended up receiving Aquitane for my contributions to the war.  Now my entire nation has basically began a shield for europe against the muslim Hispannia.  Fought 4 holy wars declared on me, each time facing more and more troops.  My latest war was my 22,000 troops against Hispannia's 39,000 and that one I only won with the help of both holy orders and some mercs.  I have had no time to actually do some more conquest of england as between keeping vassals happy, as a revolt would be disastrous in my situation, and getting rid of all these anti-popes that hungary and poland in particular keep proping up has kept me busy for the entire game.  Though the one thing that I don't get is that despite Germany and Bavaria being church run states, I have yet to see them participate in a crusade or defensive holy war.

TheCondor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6640 on: December 26, 2014, 02:42:09 pm »

It's definitely a lot harder to do anything in CK2 now. The vassal limits are really chafing. Also almost everything you do makes your vassals hate you (more than what they used to).

Also a lot of things like removing gold from banishing and making retinues take eons to reinforce is kinda annoying.

Though it also means instead of me just ransacking everyone around me because I have nothing better to do, now I'm constantly imprisoning my own vassals. The intrigue trait is so freaking good for this with the "spy on" skill. Unfortunately I can't banish them for money any more so I just imprison them forever. I also can't be bothered attacking any external forces as I don't have enough vassal limit to expand. I think those old achievements like SPQR are actually impossible to do now for anyone who hasn't gotten it.

The vassal limit is rarely a problem as I find it.  The bonus demese you get from Centralization is pretty good and if you are careful with your vassal management even Max centralization on a huge empire is possible, on minimum centralization, you should almost never hit the limit and still have the same amount of demese limit you had before that patch.

As for achievements like SPQR being impossible I will have to call bullshit on that.  The AI Byzantine empire in my game has already nearly completed SPQR by 1094 from and Old Gods start and any decent player will be able to conquer a lot faster then AI can.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6641 on: December 26, 2014, 03:14:23 pm »

Your AI did this did it? In 300 years?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

How about a savegame?

TheCondor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6642 on: December 26, 2014, 03:21:29 pm »

Your AI did this did it? In 300 years?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

How about a savegame?

It owns italy, Jerusalem, a bit of africa, and a pushing into france.  This was happening in my norse sweden game, will post the save when i get home at work right now.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6643 on: December 26, 2014, 03:30:29 pm »

It's not even halfway there dude... How is that "nearly completed"?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6644 on: December 26, 2014, 03:38:28 pm »

Declared war on a single-county 'King' of Frisia as the king of England and Denmark. Got curbstomped - turns out Heavy Cav can beat a slightly numerically superior Huscarl+some LI, Archers and Pike Retinue + Levy. And the guy promptly called in every single ruler of Europe against me.
Pages: 1 ... 441 442 [443] 444 445 ... 1002