Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 431 432 [433] 434 435 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2092102 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #6480 on: December 10, 2014, 01:59:30 pm »

Yeah. Lots of people did. Because it's to be used in certain situations where plotting and marriage isn't going to get you the desired result. Limiting the player in approaches to situations without replacing the lost choice with something just means the player is forced to use the silly plot killing system which hardly works anyway and takes way too long to get the results you're looking for. Hence; they deleted a part of the game that didn't need it in the name of 'balance' without actually.. balancing anything about it.

I find it hilarious that the notion of nobles hiring armed thugs to kill people at their discretion is.. unrealistic. Not as realistic as getting your arbitrary plot% to 1000% and hoping it doesn't just instantly fail after waiting two years. Because that's more fun. Especially when you realize you've lost a feature you can use effectively in other situations that aren't completely gamey, like 99% of user-paradox game interactions.

It's also a good gold sink. If a player really wants to screw around assassinating people all the time they won't be in a position to blob as easily. If a player wants to play like that there were trade offs. It doesn't cost you, the player, any effort to assassinate the most powerful person in the world in CK2. There is no inherent cost besides time and the money spent to bribe people. I feel 0 fear when I start a plot to kill the caliph of the abbasids, the pope, the HRE emperor, anyone. Because the AI doesn't care. They won't react even if they find out about the plot. They've totally neutered an area of player-AI interaction that used to atleast have some sort of retaliation. The only time plots aren't 100% safe for you is against your own realm, and even then the dishonor is negligible. But I don't know many players which do in-realm plotting [which isn't in the first few decades to get inheritance of your capital's baronies and certain counties], so even that trade-off is a bit weak.

Basically, I want the AI to actually give a damn about plots targeting them and retaliate accordingly. They got rid of that when the assassination button was arbitrarily removed and haven't put anything of comparable utility to replace the hole in the mechanic. I've never, ever, ever been assassinated by someone outside my realm since the assassinate button was taken out.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 02:13:31 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6481 on: December 10, 2014, 02:05:52 pm »

I think I used the assassinate button more as an abdicate button than anything else.  Getting old and want my heir to take over in the prime of his youth?  Fire my spymaster, open up the character finder, and look for the highest intrigue ruler outside my realm.  250 gold later and my heir is on the throne.

1) Imprison
2) Free
3) Repeat until you fail to imprison
4) Immediately concede defeat to tyranny war
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #6482 on: December 10, 2014, 02:32:26 pm »

I don't disagree with you about the assassinate button, in the sense that it shouldn't have been removed, but my experience with the game is that if you're in a position to use it you should already be so big it doesn't matter.  The cost of killing anyone important is around the cost of hiring a merc army, which as a small kingdom or something even smaller, is basically a won war unless your opponent does it too.

I think the plot button is fun because it takes the web of characters the game has and actually uses it for something  Its broken on a lot of levels but I've always believed multiplayer CK2 is only viable due to self imposed rules so whatever.  Assassinations are broken too because they make storing money too powerful; with 10,000 ducats there are still only a few merc companies you can hire, but with assassinations you could simultaneously kill someone and every single heir they have so they instantly lose the game.

Really they should just make it more detailed.  You should be able to have underworld contacts in your court (maybe not literally in your court but you know, represented there) and then when you pay them to assassinate someone, they start a plot to assassinate that person, which increases over time regardless of whether they have help.  That way that target can still detect them and respond, but you don't have to plot yourself to make the kill.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6483 on: December 11, 2014, 09:04:34 am »

I think I used the assassinate button more as an abdicate button than anything else.  Getting old and want my heir to take over in the prime of his youth?  Fire my spymaster, open up the character finder, and look for the highest intrigue ruler outside my realm.  250 gold later and my heir is on the throne.

1) Imprison
2) Free
3) Repeat until you fail to imprison
4) Immediately concede defeat to tyranny war

5) Say hellow to autonomous vassals.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6484 on: December 11, 2014, 02:06:43 pm »

I'm hoping it's a big patch, with features added.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6485 on: December 11, 2014, 04:23:21 pm »

From the sounds of it...it hopefully is...they have said its not a big expansion like previous ones...so I can't imagine they can do a lot more than fix it while adding the small amount of stuff they are

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6486 on: December 16, 2014, 04:12:56 pm »

Looks like the expansion is out. Anyone already tried it out? Does it add anything significant enough to justify the full price?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6487 on: December 16, 2014, 11:13:39 pm »

I am a very mature and ethical person.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6488 on: December 17, 2014, 12:08:39 am »

I'm trying to play After The End 0.3, but I can't get it to load up properly. Version is 2.2.1 like the thread for it stipulates, and I'm putting the files in the mod folder, but when I load the game up I just get the broken undefined Europe map you tend to get when a mod doesn't run correctly.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6489 on: December 17, 2014, 12:38:23 am »

[snip]
The longer I look the more punchlines I see
I... I didn't even know multiple non-spouse lovers was *possible*.  Wait, is that part of the new DLC??
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6490 on: December 17, 2014, 12:48:42 am »

I'm trying to play After The End 0.3, but I can't get it to load up properly. Version is 2.2.1 like the thread for it stipulates, and I'm putting the files in the mod folder, but when I load the game up I just get the broken undefined Europe map you tend to get when a mod doesn't run correctly.
Did you try the other mod folder? Some like going in the My Documents version, some like going in the Steam folder version. :v

And as always with Paradox titles, delete map cache :V
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6491 on: December 17, 2014, 12:51:33 am »

Did you try the other mod folder? Some like going in the My Documents version, some like going in the Steam folder version. :v
I wasn't aware there was another one, I'll give it a shot. Elder Kings and their fancy installer have spoiled me to the harsh reality of mod installation. It's just like old times. Old....times....
* MetalSlimeHunt ponders the merits of an early death.
And as always with Paradox titles, delete map cache :V
how what now
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6492 on: December 17, 2014, 12:52:49 am »

[snip]
The longer I look the more punchlines I see
I... I didn't even know multiple non-spouse lovers was *possible*.  Wait, is that part of the new DLC??

Speaking from extensive experience- no, multiple non-spouse lovers was part of the game before the new DLC.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6493 on: December 17, 2014, 12:56:19 am »

MSH: Go to your CK2 folder, find the "map" folder (it should be in the main folder) and then delete everything in the "cache" folder inside that "map" folder. :D

There may also be a map\cache folder in your My Documents CK2 files, delete that too just in case~
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6494 on: December 17, 2014, 01:01:26 am »

There are a couple of .bin files that have the word cache in them, but no cache file. Also, the steam mod folder has a readme that's named Don'tPutModsHere, which, uh...
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 431 432 [433] 434 435 ... 1002