Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2092532 times)

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #4470 on: December 07, 2013, 12:40:08 am »

The merchant mechanics aren't terribly interesting to begin with and it's easy to become overpowered and then the game just gets kind of boring as everyone falls before your mercenary doomstacks.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 04:09:42 am by Karlito »
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4471 on: December 07, 2013, 03:22:27 am »

The merchant gameplay amounts to waiting for gold, buying trade psost, wait some more and then buying mercenaries and winning. The trade wars can be fun, though they're kind of few and far between.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4472 on: December 07, 2013, 09:11:41 am »

Anyone tried playing that Khazar duke from the 1066 game? It's frigging hard. Everyone hates your gut, there is not a single jewish woman in the whole world to marry (you have to pay to introduce debutantes). Your liege will try to revoke your shit, and if you leave the Cuman, everyone will holy war you. You can't even get high-stat jews to come to your court for free, because they don't like your culture. Oh, and Judaism start with 20% authority and no upside whatsoever. You can't even use the Holy War CB until you've managed to revolt.

I've not had that much fun in a while.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4473 on: December 07, 2013, 10:40:28 am »

Someone should make a mod where all the kingdoms of the Disney princesses are bordering each other and they marry for love and fight evil murder and battle each other.
I agree with Scriver. This needs to exist. NOW!

Also as for DLCs to get I also throw my vote for Legacy of Rome and Old Gods. Old Gods gives you a slew of new events and a earlier start date where there are slightly less enormous kingdoms/empires, which in my opinion is a plus. It might also give you more trait options, but that mostly matters if you use/abuse Ruler Designer. Which I recommend (Although less so if you plan on playing Ironman)
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4474 on: December 07, 2013, 10:20:09 pm »

Holy shit.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Also, no idea how I've inherited that oman duchy in the middle of nowhere.

On the matter, does anyone know if a caliph/pope/religious head can call a crusade/jihad/great holy war on its liege (or even vassal ??) ?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4475 on: December 07, 2013, 11:31:43 pm »

Holy shit.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Also, no idea how I've inherited that oman duchy in the middle of nowhere.

On the matter, does anyone know if a caliph/pope/religious head can call a crusade/jihad/great holy war on its liege (or even vassal ??) ?

Are you talking about the size of the Abbassid empire? Because in my Zoarastrian game prior to that year the AI got it to be most of the Byzantine Empire, all of Egypt, and a bunch of other stuff.  While at 0 decadence, and the ruler is a Caliph with 4 times the army of the HRE.  I am utterly terrified.

Oh wow you're Jewish.  That's fucking crazy.

I have no idea about that question.  Its such an obscure situation, I don't think I've EVER seen it come up.  The answer is probably something like "yes, but the AI won't because you're so much stronger than them".

Did you convert?  Your interface is still Muslim and you have a decadence amount.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4476 on: December 08, 2013, 05:39:44 am »

No, it's not me. I'm the sultan of Andalusia and Mauretania, still Sunni. But now, the arabian emperor and sunni caliph (yes ...) is jewish. There was a duke that had the sunni caliph, and I thought that if I killed him and all his dynasty, I would have the option to recreate the sunni caliphate, but instead, the abbassid emperor inherited it. So, kinda weird atm.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4477 on: December 08, 2013, 07:43:52 am »

Ok, this game just went full crazy. The abbassid badshad (jewish) inherited the sunni caliphate from one of his vassal. So the religious head of the sunnis was jewish. And when I declare holy war on him (I wanted to unland him to be able to claim the sunni caliphate), all other sunni sultans (Africa, Egypt, Persia and Arabia) refused to join (religious head modifier  :'(). I got my ass handed to me in the desert (at the border africa/egypt), since I had 2 split stacks of 12k to avoid attrition. Anyway, I lost that war, assassinated a dozen abbassid badshah to cause unrest and lo ! there was a survivor sunni abbassid. Meanwhile, there was a huge civil war still in that empire. So, I won't get the sunni caliphate any time soon, but at least we'll have jihads and MA and stuff.
So, get back to Andalusia, I kinda want to grab the Africa kingdom. Wait, what's that ? It's a republic now. Yup, Aghlabid Sultanate is a republic now.
On a less crazy note, a Capet rose to the throne of Aquitaine (ok, it's kinda like, half of Aquitaine, the other half being split between East Francia and Bavaria, but it's already a step !).

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4478 on: December 08, 2013, 10:00:16 am »

Lots of fun playing the Khazar duke. It's now 1115, I'm playing the son of the original Duke. I was twice reduced to a single-province count, but I'm now back in game, with the Duchy of Itil and a total of 6 provinces (four for me, one for my heir, one for my brother). We now have a lot more Jewish character around, so finding wives is not that hard anymore. Also my Dynasty went from 1 to ~20 members over the last 50 years, so we're safe(r) from extinction.

My liege, the Khan of Cumania is the brother of the 1066 Khan, still kicking strong at around 70. He hates my guts with a passion, due to several assassination attempts and revolts. Luckily, he is too busy fighting the Seljuk (that war is like 7 years old) to revoke my titles.

So now, I'm trying to grow a bit more while waiting for the Khan to die.- so I can gain my freedom during the ensuing civil war.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4479 on: December 08, 2013, 01:36:43 pm »

I got this from a giveaway earlier yesterday... Out of curiosity, how vital is it to get all of the DLC compared to, say, EU3?
Not vital at all. Most of the DLC content you get (automatically) for free in patches.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4480 on: December 08, 2013, 03:24:37 pm »

It's mostly unlocking mechanics that are a bit different, so you're better off playing the vanilla game before. If you like it and want to try something different in the game, then DLCs are interesting. I'd recommend Legacy of Rome though, it unlocks retinue, but it's not mandatory.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4481 on: December 08, 2013, 03:38:31 pm »

It's mostly unlocking mechanics that are a bit different, so you're better off playing the vanilla game before. If you like it and want to try something different in the game, then DLCs are interesting. I'd recommend Legacy of Rome though, it unlocks retinue, but it's not mandatory.
Ever tried playing without retinues? Its mandatory. You just don't know it yet.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4482 on: December 08, 2013, 04:08:48 pm »

I did. It's not, as long as you don't have a huge empire (more than a dejure empire, except byz and arabian empire). They are much better indeed, but you can go around.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4483 on: December 08, 2013, 04:10:32 pm »

As someone who played for a long time without retinues, no it isn't.  Most of the hardest characters to play (vassals and small independent rulers) basically cannot have retinues in my experience.  The main effect that they have on the game is to take rulers who were already likely to succeed, and make it easier for them to control their vassals.  Also gives you more ways to increase your army as a large independent ruler.  They're cool but I wouldn't call them necessary.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4484 on: December 08, 2013, 07:32:22 pm »

Retinues are basically the only reason I can have such massive empires. You don't need them if you're a tiny guy or just a minor, irrelevant king.
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 1002