Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 295 296 [297] 298 299 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2092626 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #4440 on: December 05, 2013, 05:36:36 pm »

Croatia is in a pretty safe place, unless Pagans do unusually well or a local Christian power gets a reason to attack you (which is unlikely).  If you're playing to survive (as opposed to trying to expand) the biggest threat is going to be your vassals.

Now, if your firstborn living daughter is already married normally (aka not a matrilineal marriage) you're in trouble, as the line will pass to another dynasty and you'll lose the kingdom.  If this is the case either switch to ultimogeniture/electorate* succession, or murder the husband and all his heirs.  If your daughter is in a matrilineal marriage, the only really problem you'll have is the -26 relationship penalty with vassals you'll get from the female ruler and short reign penalties combined.  Also, people will be able to press weak claims against female rulers, which could be very bad or irrelevant depending on who has a claim and if anyone decides to help them.  Thus, the most important thing you can do right now is die with a lot of money, so you can hire mercenaries to fight off your own vassals or anyone who tries to press someone's claim on your Kingdom.

*electorate succession is more dangerous because your dukes could vote one of their own into power, but a better choice in general.  Ultimogeniture will make your youngest daughter inherit, which is safe unless she's also married, but its a crappy succession law with no long-term benefits.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4441 on: December 05, 2013, 05:37:52 pm »

Croatia is only safe if the Byzantines fail though.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4442 on: December 05, 2013, 05:43:31 pm »

I've never seen them do anything else.  I think one time they held their land into the late game, but that was a game where I horribly deathballed as Muslim Hispania and took out the HRE.  So they were going to lose it eventually if I didn't stop playing due to how annoying decadence management can become.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4443 on: December 05, 2013, 07:47:51 pm »

I've never seen them do anything else.  I think one time they held their land into the late game, but that was a game where I horribly deathballed as Muslim Hispania and took out the HRE.  So they were going to lose it eventually if I didn't stop playing due to how annoying decadence management can become.
Yeah, the Byzies don't tend to do well, as is historical.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4444 on: December 06, 2013, 05:31:21 am »

In my game they became Catholic and now Orthodox is getting extinct. They're otherwise stable which is odd at realms bordering heathens tend to either blob or die.

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #4445 on: December 06, 2013, 05:34:44 am »

Ok guys. best mod(s)?
currently I'm fiddling with CK2+

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4446 on: December 06, 2013, 05:41:56 am »

I use a better borders and flat map mod. Nothing game changing though.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4447 on: December 06, 2013, 10:27:11 am »

In my game they became Catholic and now Orthodox is getting extinct. They're otherwise stable which is odd at realms bordering heathens tend to either blob or die.

It's probably because they're Catholic, which means they get holy orders to defend them along with the standard Byzie retinues and Vanguard.

All that means they're good at defense, but can't use most of it on offense.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4448 on: December 06, 2013, 11:30:59 am »

It's probably because they're Catholic, which means they get holy orders to defend them along with the standard Byzie retinues and Vanguard.

All that means they're good at defense, but can't use most of it on offense.

HO's aren't that bad on offence against heathens, sure, you have to pay 30g monthly, but that's about on par with the bigger merc retinues, and unlike mercs don't charge you ten times that upfront. Although for the Piety cost, if the Pope likes you, you could probably get mercs cheaper.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4449 on: December 06, 2013, 01:41:27 pm »

For Croatia guy, to manage your daughter being hated find all the vassals and courtiers that will hate her, and imprison them. Every single one.

Then, when you die and she is queen, have her release all of them. BAM! Instant adoration.

Of course that can backfire if your current guy takes a longer time to die then expected, but hey, you can probably handle it!
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4450 on: December 06, 2013, 01:54:18 pm »

For Croatia guy, to manage your daughter being hated find all the vassals and courtiers that will hate her, and imprison them. Every single one.

Then, when you die and she is queen, have her release all of them. BAM! Instant adoration.

Of course that can backfire if your current guy takes a longer time to die then expected, but hey, you can probably handle it!

Am I the only one who considers this a massive exploit?

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4451 on: December 06, 2013, 02:08:54 pm »

Strikes me as an excellently Machiavellian way of securing your heir's future.  If you're an elderly ruler who knows they're likely to die in the near future, presumably 'the greater good' might drive you to do something like that.  Hell, that's basically what's happening in the metagame anyway.  :)

Actually, I think that's why I like CKII so much.  The metagame motivation of "my people must survive" is pretty well aligned to what (I assume) the in-game character motivations are likely to be (well, the way I RP them, anyway!)
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4452 on: December 06, 2013, 02:41:47 pm »

Strikes me as an excellently Machiavellian way of securing your heir's future.  If you're an elderly ruler who knows they're likely to die in the near future, presumably 'the greater good' might drive you to do something like that.  Hell, that's basically what's happening in the metagame anyway.  :)

Actually, I think that's why I like CKII so much.  The metagame motivation of "my people must survive" is pretty well aligned to what (I assume) the in-game character motivations are likely to be (well, the way I RP them, anyway!)

I feel the same: I realized the game had warped me when I was watching Disney's Aladdin and I found myself deeply critical of the love/misalliance between Jasmine and Aladdin: it is hard enough to hold together a kingdom with the most brilliant daughter-heir, but to let her marry a commoner without particularly good stats and low intrigue? I can almost hear the vassals plotting.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 02:43:40 pm by thegoatgod_pan »
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4453 on: December 06, 2013, 02:45:11 pm »

On the other hand, he also has "Friends with a Genie" as a trait. That's GOTTA count for -something-.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4454 on: December 06, 2013, 03:05:36 pm »

Yeah, probably something like:

-10 relations with all vassals.
-50 relations with all religious members and religious characters.
+2 learning.

And the princess would have a -20 relations modifier for "beguiled by witch boy".
Pages: 1 ... 295 296 [297] 298 299 ... 1002