Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 278 279 [280] 281 282 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2093547 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #4185 on: October 24, 2013, 10:10:18 am »

Yeah, it really seems CKII has surpassed the EU series as their "flagship" game so to speak. Which isn't to knock EUIV of course, its just CKII hit every note perfectly as far as what makes an interesting game. As well polished as the EU series can be, nothing beats being able to feel legitimate ANGER at "people" as opposed to a nebulous immortal nation state. The EU series simply lacks that sort of Magnificent Bastard factor that CK2 has. IMHO had CK1 not been completely fucked over by its early development (Paradox basically had to salvage the code after the third party dev went under), it would have been a massive hit as well.

Thats said, as far as new games, I reeaaly want a Victoria 3.

Yeah, I've never been a fan of EU but CK2 is incredibly fun to me.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4186 on: October 24, 2013, 10:45:01 am »

I really wish that they'd make some sort of interlude game between the end of their new Rome game and CK2 Old Gods so that we could - for example - start from Sparta and forge a massive Spartan Empire covering the world... or something.

I'll never forget having effectively split the world in half with my allies of Rome, as Sparta, in my last EU: Rome game and the utter gratification of having becomes more larger and more formidable than Rome itself. Especially considering my survival as a state at all early on had been part desperation, part luck. I really wanted to port that save onward into a new game, but hundreds of years is a long, long time period to abstract into CK2.
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4187 on: October 24, 2013, 10:51:30 am »

New Rome game?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4189 on: October 24, 2013, 10:56:27 am »

He said "New". That game's been out for ages.
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4190 on: October 24, 2013, 10:58:04 am »

He said "New". That game's been out for ages.
He's talking about a hypothetical new Rome game that Paradox has planned for "before 2012!".

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4191 on: October 24, 2013, 11:01:41 am »

If it was "before 2012!", they've already failed. ;P

Think it was 2020, brooo~

And I also think they were taking the piss. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, though!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4192 on: October 24, 2013, 11:31:56 am »

Or maybe even just a EU: Rome DLC that extended into the Dark Ages.

Although IMHO, EU: Rome was a terrible game.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4193 on: October 24, 2013, 12:28:08 pm »

Lots of wasted potential, yeah. I think it was still a good game, better going back to it now than I felt about it when it first came out.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4194 on: October 24, 2013, 03:11:47 pm »

They've mentioned on a couple of different occasions recently that they aren't currently working on EU:Rome 2.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4195 on: October 24, 2013, 03:21:50 pm »

Now that I think about it, you'd almost have to have an entirely separate game to model the Dark Ages decently. You're talking about what are essentially Gaulish and Germanic tribes coming into the Empire and running things with a mixture of traditional tribal custom and appropriated Roman organization. And making up a lot of it as they went along. And the introduction of Christianity would be a huge part of the game (which Old Gods models a bit).

It was far looser than either feudalism or Imperial structures, where rulership was frequently defined by culture groups rather than territory. (i.e. King of the Britons rather than King of Britain).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4196 on: October 26, 2013, 04:41:34 pm »

How do I survive as Venice in the long run? I'm surrounded by gigantic nations.

Also, after what time do I get the "Seize x" casus belli after I have taken their cities? It seems to have dissapeared entirely after I swore fealty to the Byzantium Empire.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4197 on: October 26, 2013, 05:40:37 pm »

How do I survive as Venice in the long run? I'm surrounded by gigantic nations.

Also, after what time do I get the "Seize x" casus belli after I have taken their cities? It seems to have dissapeared entirely after I swore fealty to the Byzantium Empire.

"You must either control a neighboring county or one at most two sea zones away." -http://ckiiwiki.com/Casus_Belli

I found the best thing to do as a Mediterranean republic is to wait for someone to break off from the larger powers, then eat them.  The Holy Roman Empire in particular is prone to break up and reform repeatedly.  And since you're closer to the traitorous vassal than the Emperor, you can usually grab their territory before the Emperor can arrive.

Also: Make money -> Hire mercenaries.   It's what republics are best at.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4198 on: October 27, 2013, 04:03:32 am »

That's kinda what I do. The problem is keeping the major powers(and I mean powers who can field tens of thousands of men) away from me.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4199 on: October 27, 2013, 05:22:13 am »

Swear fealty to some larger bloke. This way, you can grow easily under his protection and then go independent when you're strong enough.,

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 278 279 [280] 281 282 ... 1002