Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: How Do You Kill Your Nobles?  (Read 7236 times)

Horizon9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How Do You Kill Your Nobles?
« on: August 17, 2010, 06:28:22 pm »

Come and tell stories of the ways you off'd the annoying dwarf making constant demands.
What a tiny roc. I guess I could call it a pebbl.

eclipsetail

• Bay Watcher
  • [HIGH_FIVES]
    • View Profile
Re: How Do You Kill Your Nobles?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 06:31:33 pm »

It was in 40d

I put my nobles bed next to my magma pipes, put in an extra floodgate, and then channeled a piece at the top.
And what does it figure, right before the magma reaches them, "Urist McDead Noble has given birth to a baby boy".

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 06:52:32 pm »

I fulfilled no demands and gave him shoddy rooms. He went berzerk. I sent in the military.

Nobody cared.
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 07:16:15 pm »

If it's the mayor, I just find or make a high spot, build a bridge at the top, and have him build a wall on the other end of the bridge.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

DrGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 07:17:49 pm »

I wanted a set-it-and-forget-it kind of device so I set out to build an automatic drowning device specifically for nobles.

The Device:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

How it (didn't) work:

When that failed (after some other water-based failure devices) I eventually built the much more successful Death-Bridge system:

That is, 3 sets of 2 bridges, with 1 switch on a 1x1 square at the far end of the 2nd bridge which operates the two bridges in a set. 3 nobles are assigned to pull a switch twice. Each set is at the very top of the skybox, offset my Obsidian Tower. Automatic splats, no fuss no muss. (Though occasionally the noble flung off the bridges closest to the Tower accidentally lands on the service floor one level down.)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 07:20:24 pm by DrGravitas »

Foehamster

• Bay Watcher
  • Zig Frostrushes The Speachless Eater of Saints
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 07:19:03 pm »

Usually nothing. I consider it part of the Fun. When I do need to dispose of one I usually install a dummy lever in the trade depot drowning chamber for the noble to operate, in DF2010 a burrow in the drowning depot is sufficient.

Horizon9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 07:41:17 pm »

I wanted a set-it-and-forget-it kind of device so I set out to build an automatic drowning device specifically for nobles.

The Device:

How it (didn't) work:

When that failed (after some other water-based failure devices) I eventually built the much more successful Death-Bridge system:

That is, 3 sets of 2 bridges, with 1 switch on a 1x1 square at the far end of the 2nd bridge which operates the two bridges in a set. 3 nobles are assigned to pull a switch twice. Each set is at the very top of the skybox, offset my Obsidian Tower. Automatic splats, no fuss no muss. (Though occasionally the noble flung off the bridges closest to the Tower accidentally lands on the service floor one level down.)
One of the most amazing things I have ever seen. Would have been even cooler had it worked.
Also, stupid question. What was that 3D visuals thing that you used in the third picture? I'm still relatively new.
What a tiny roc. I guess I could call it a pebbl.

DrGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 07:50:31 pm »

TRUNCATED
One of the most amazing things I have ever seen. Would have been even cooler had it worked.
Also, stupid question. What was that 3D visuals thing that you used in the third picture? I'm still relatively new.

Visual Fortress
It only works on the older, .40 versions, unfortunately.

However, I hear Stonesense 2.0 works for 31.05, although the latest version of the game is 31.12.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 07:59:29 pm »

I always have an extensive prison system/dungeon, so I set up a system to injure them and capture them in cages. Then, they're just mixed in with all the criminals and goblin POWs. That said, I don't execute most of my nobles, just the worst offenders.

However, I hear Stonesense 2.0 works for 31.05, although the latest version of the game is 31.12.

There is a way to get Stonesense to work with 31.12. Just download Stonesense 2.0, then download this file and put it in the Stonesense directory:
http://stonesense.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/Memory.xml
Right-click the link and "Save as..."!
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 08:52:11 pm »

The only noble I actually kill is the baron/baroness consort.  That's mostly to stop them from spitting out more babies than to stop mandates, though.

I tend to use tempting, shiny levers as bait in "execution chambers" filled with spikes that have glass windows so their loved ones can sit in the viewing booth and watch them bleed out.

I also pre-emptively spiked the hammerer to keep him in a hospital bed with a red wound to the hand in my first game, just as a precaution.  Didn't need it, though.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Tywuzhere

• Bay Watcher
  • We Fell Asleep: Abdomen/Thorax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 10:08:15 pm »

Haha, I made a thread about this a few days ago, asking if there was any penalty in regards to killing your nobles, I found out it wasn't that big of a deal, so I killed one.
I was he was in his room during a siege, so I put up/down stairs in his room, and locked the door. (The whole fort was underground, he was the first Z level down.) He got slaughtered in his room.
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 12:59:50 am »

My fort is aptly named "Roastednobles"... guess what Armok wants me to do?

This said, my baron and mayor are behaving really well:
1. they demand stuff I can actually buy
2. they prohibit export of things I don't make
3. I drafted them and they hold their own in battle

I love these nobles, but I can't wait for the hammerer to arrive so I can give her a cleansing shower in the magma depot!

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 03:26:40 am »

Normally...  I don't, unless they like something like adamantine, <specific animal> bone, crystal glass, or some material not available for trade.  Generally you can plan ahead enough to import their material of choice ahead of time, especially now that sand can be imported, so mandates usually aren't much of a problem.

When I do need to kill nobles, I usually use a lever to draw them into a dangerous area (water reservoir, magma reservoir, easily locked room) and then do whatever works.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Shaio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 05:31:18 am »

I find giving them ornately decorated bedrooms at the edge of the map usually takes little time to get rid of them, and preemptive warning of ambushes is always good.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 11:11:10 am »

I don't.

You can select the dwarf you want as your noble. Why select a dwarf who likes adamantine and slade? Pick one who likes plump helmets and pig tail socks.

Also if you have no captain of the guard you can ignore demands completely and there are no consequences to this. At worst the noble becomes unhappy, but that is not within tantrum range. He'll just mope around and go back to admiring his completely sublime cabinets again.
Pages: [1] 2 3