Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: Neonivek's Mutant Cooking!  (Read 12308 times)

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
Re: Neonivek's Mutant Cooking!
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2010, 08:30:24 pm »

Technically I'm a good cook.
Unfortunately I'm also deeply and fundamentally lazy, so I end up eating bacon out of a 7 day pan.

For the uninitiated, the 7 Day Pan is a flavour enhancer developed first by the first man who couldn't be bothered to wash up.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2010, 10:41:17 pm »

That's uhm....that's nasty man. Working as a line cook for a few years, I've seen some short cuts taken, but with your own grub? Blech.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2010, 11:07:41 pm »

Bacon is pushing it, but if I just used a pan to make eggs or sauteed vegetables or whatever, I'll usually reuse it without washing.  If non-washing is necessary for cast iron, there's really nothing wrong with treating nonstick pans the same way.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 11:09:23 pm by Footkerchief »

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2010, 11:30:35 pm »

Well, if we're just throwing out recipes now, here's my specialty stir-fry recipe that I usually make for big formal-esque meals.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2010, 11:44:18 pm »

Frying in bacon fat is ok, or cooking in the juices of other stuff. After it's gotten cold though, no way. I'm pretty anal about dishes though, probably from starting as a dishwasher.

If non-washing is necessary for cast iron, there's really nothing wrong with treating nonstick pans the same way.

Yes and no. They tell you not to wash cast iron because people never season it properly. You can wash a properly seasoned cast iron skillet, as long as you heat dry it and wipe it out, and if you're really anal, reoil it afterward. Non-stick is ok to not wash as long as you wipe it out (that's how line cooks avoid ever washing pans, they have a nappy rag to wipe pans out with), but most people don't like having a pan rag or use paper towels. The first thing on people's mind when they cook usually isn't taking care of dishes.

Well, if we're just throwing out recipes now, here's my specialty stir-fry recipe that I usually make for big formal-esque meals.

I do something like that, never tried Oyster and Black Bean, I should try it. I use honey instead, and hot mustard, and blend it really good. Gives it sort of a sweet and sour kick. I also go for Ramen instead of spaghetti, just tastes better and it's cheaper.

If you start boiling the water for the spaghetti as you start preparing, you should start cooking as the water boils and the pasta goes in, and will probably finish the stir-fry just after the pasta is all finished.

This is sage advice. With stir fry sauces, the longer you cook it, the more in reduces, and if you used a lot of soy, that means it starts getting really, really salty. Timing your noodles for when the sauce is just about done can be tricky if you've never done it.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 11:50:33 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2010, 03:12:49 am »

Cleaned out the 7 day pan for another week.
The water in the sink was utterly black. Still need to wash out the coffee pot.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2010, 05:39:22 am »

Incidentally, another handy little trick? Boil the water in the kettle first. It takes about a quarter the time a large pot does on gas.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2010, 03:10:00 am »

If you start boiling the water for the spaghetti as you start preparing, you should start cooking as the water boils and the pasta goes in, and will probably finish the stir-fry just after the pasta is all finished.

This is sage advice. With stir fry sauces, the longer you cook it, the more in reduces, and if you used a lot of soy, that means it starts getting really, really salty. Timing your noodles for when the sauce is just about done can be tricky if you've never done it.

To add to that, I just realized I never mentioned: cleaning up as you cook means that when all's said and done, all you have to do is wash out the wok once everything's done and cooked. Another great tip I got from my dad way back.

Incidentally, another handy little trick? Boil the water in the kettle first. It takes about a quarter the time a large pot does on gas.

That's a new trick to me. Though that'll definitely come in handy a few times, my electric kettle isn't that big. Good tip, though.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 03:17:38 am by Retro »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2010, 06:49:02 am »

To add to that, I just realized I never mentioned: cleaning up as you cook means that when all's said and done, all you have to do is wash out the wok once everything's done and cooked. Another great tip I got from my dad way back.

This ethos has been burned into my soul after working in kitchens. I have to clean as I go, because 'if you got time to lean, you got time to clean," as the saying goes.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2010, 07:06:41 am »

I have my siblings to clean for me.
Created a mutant stew last night by assuming that if it was fresh it could go in the pot.
All I know is that I chopped a lot of vegetables. It tasted good, somehow, which was nice.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2010, 03:04:33 pm »

I need to try making chili again (slow-cooked preferably). Last time, I sort of screwed it up by stirring the meat way too much (the recipe had you cook ground beef directly in the sauce), turning it into a sort of slurry. Still tasted good, at least.

At least the chocolate cheesecake I made recently came out delicious. It's expensive to make, though, compared to most baked goods I've done.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2010, 09:12:16 pm »

I've really got to learn to bake sweet things. Was it hard to make?
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2010, 09:15:08 pm »

Not that hard at all, really. It was a pretty basic recipe; it consisted of nothing but cream cheese, chocolate, vanilla extract, and sugar, as far as I can remember. Oh, and an Oreo crumb crust, which was more annoying than anything else.

Having a springform pan is neat because otherwise you're pretty limited when it comes to cheesecakes unless you just use one of those pre-made store-bought crusts.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2010, 09:23:12 pm »

Fair enough. I may have to give that a try sometime. Also, springpans for the win. My housemate has a big cake one, which just so happens to be perfect when cooking large loaves of bread :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2010, 01:40:44 am »

If you add milk to the mix you make French Toast with (or Creame) the French Toast can be sweet even without syrup.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11