Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I keep getting "X cancels job: too injured" messages with my custom creature  (Read 2034 times)

Krisnack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I created this ludicrously overpowered civ just too see how well they could do against megabeasts and demons, however I'm having trouble getting them to wield stuff. I've looked over the raws several times, but I can't find the problem.

Spoiler: New body_default entry (click to show/hide)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile

Anything in your errorlog?
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Krisnack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Several, but most are related to unrecognized entity tokens. One, however, stood out:
Code: [Select]
*** Error(s) found in the file "raw/objects/creature_viperite.txt"
VIPERIDE:Body Token Recognized But Could Not Connect: HUMANOID_JOINTS
Does this mean I have to create a new joints body_default entry?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 10:23:28 pm by Krisnack »

Krisnack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sorry to bump this, but It's driving me nuts, and I can't figure out what the problem is.

Krisnack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Apparently the Strangler, which uses the four-armed body type but does not have the HUMANOID_JOINTS tag, is able to wield weapons and shields.

Would removing the HUMANOID_JOINTS tag have any ill effects?

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile

I'm going to be honest and say I still have a hard time understanding what's going on with bodies, and I too am confused by things like this. I always guessed that joints were only used to determine what body part becomes functionally useless if that joint is injured, but I don't really know.

Removing the HUMANOID_JOINTS part shouldn't really mess up anything, if I recall, it's represented really abstractly, in that a right upper arm is connected to the upper body, but it's also connected to the shoulder joint, but the shoulder joint is completely separate from the upper body.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

The body works like this: all folllowing bodyparts should connect to mentioned earlier, and it all starts with the first body (main, like HUMANOID or something like that).

In this example, HUMANOID_JOINTS should connect to HUMANOID-type body, but you have none thus they cannot connect. Post your creature and body raws, we cannot help you without your code. "Too injured" means they are incapable of doing stuff they are requested to do.

P.S. Nevermind, I am blind. I will playtest them and say you what's wrong.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Krisnack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Any luck?

Valience

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm going to go out on a limb, based purely on the minimal knowledge I have of the current version, and say that the Joints are having a problem because you don't have legs and feet, which the joints are most likely looking for to hook into. I don't think that the tail, even though it's stance, will work.
Regardless of what I said previously, DF elves don't chop. They merely coax the wood out of a tree in a manner which is probably sexual. So yes, they are terrible, terrible beings.

JediaKyrol

• Bay Watcher
  • I have no idea what I am doing...
    • View Profile

tail will work, I made a "hover-thruster" for a robot with stance token and worked fine.  But I did have the same problem once before, custom race could not grasp or stand, turned out to be a simple typo...I'll look over this too. 

arms still aren't working, I'll try replacing them with my 6-armed robot arms and see what we get.

(edit) ok...robot arms worked...so it's a typo somewhere in all of that that's stopping it from being able to grab things...here's the lazy fix though

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I added in the left/right tokens but didn't change the displayed names, but they work.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 04:54:10 pm by JediaKyrol »

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile

Code: [Select]
*** Error(s) found in the file "raw/objects/creature_viperite.txt"
VIPERIDE:Body Token Recognized But Could Not Connect: HUMANOID_JOINTS

This kind of error (along with something to do with attaching attacks to body parts, whose exact message escapes me) are probably my two least favorite error messages. Not because they're hard to fix, but because I never remember how to fix them. It's bizarre, and annoying. I also run into them quite often.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 06:27:34 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That issue is due to the way the "HUMANOID_JOINTS" body entry is designed to attach to a very specific set of parts (that is, the HUMANOID body). Remove any one of those parts (including, say, the individual arm parts, replacing them with a 1-part arm) and the joints'll break.

If you want your creatures to be wrestleable, you'll probably want to create a HUMANOID_JOINTS-esque body entry tailored to your creature. If you don't care about that, you can just remove HUMANOID_JOINTS and get on with fixing the rest of it. Assuming there's something more serious at hand.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 08:46:13 pm by 3 »

Krisnack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That issue is due to the way the "HUMANOID_JOINTS" body entry is designed to attach to a very specific set of parts (that is, the HUMANOID body). Remove any one of those parts (including, say, the individual arm parts, replacing them with a 1-part arm) and the joints'll break.

If you want your creatures to be wrestleable, you'll probably want to create a HUMANOID_JOINTS-esque bady entry tailored to your creature. If you don't care about that, you can just remove HUMANOID_JOINTS and get on with fixing the rest of it. Assuming there's something more serious at hand.
I went and created a new joints body entry. I don't get any errors, but the creature is still unable to grasp things.
So I added an STP at the end of the each limb BP entry like JediaKyrol recommended...
And the the problem seems to be solved, although I don't like loosing the ability to wrestle. Any idea on what's wrong with my custom joints entry?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Whether a creature can wrestle or not is determined by whether it has LIMB bodyparts - using those is the only way you can lock/break limbs and such.

Joints, conversely, allow limbs to be locked and broken.

Krisnack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So my creature will have unbreakable joints? Seems like a small price to pay. Big thanks to every one who responded.