Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First Adventure:Death by Sock  (Read 1557 times)

Devonus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
First Adventure:Death by Sock
« on: August 10, 2010, 12:53:07 am »

So, after growing tired of managing my busy little dwarves in what i beleive to be my 5th fortress (the first i tried to do without dwarf therapist and i had nightmares about managing mini ittle midgets in my sleep) and the following were by and by steps in the process (2nd had major tantrum spiral bc i thought they could live off water forever, 3rd was wiped out by a gobin ambush, 4th just wasn't as organized and nice looking as i would like, and teh 5th is going fine so far)

But i want a break so i step back and decide to start an adventurer after reading some things, and proceeding to be awed and laughing my ass off at some of the adventure stories. So i proceed to create Thomod Cilkogite, Human Axe Warrior of bad assness.

Well after realizing i created a female by accident (i guess thats one way to figure out which animals you need for breeding) i decided to venture out into the world, first town was boring with the exception of one eager lasher who wished to join my cause and brave this world in stride with me. Me and my new found friend proceeded to venture out into the world and eventually encounterd a group of 3 wolves hungry for my flesh, and about 9 Rhesus marque, who having been corninged between my companion and i and the wolves, turned foraciously upon us. I

made quick work of the wolves, severing the first wolfs head with a might cleave of my axe, and rejoicing in the power i now wielded. My lasher friend however entertained the monkeys as i continued to face down the wolves. a few strikes later the wolves fell and i took care of a few monkey's near me, and went to assist my lasher in his whole sale slaughter of the monekys. After a few minutes of mindlessly losing track of monkey's i decided to fast travel, and was dismayed to see my companion had not followed, his fate lost to the histories of the world. But i ventured on while mourning my comrade, new found pride in my 6 kills, 3 wolves and 3 rhesus marquee. However i was destine be stuck in my place.

The next town proved more fruitful, selling the butchered remains of the wolves while keeping a few choice pieces of meat for my self, i gained a quest to travel forth and kill some kind of creature residing in a dark fortress not far awat. As i have heard so often before it appeared that the goblins had been overpopulated by the kidnapped prey, and were no longer present, as all i saw were humans in the area. However, after searching the fortress top to bottom i was disturbed to find nothing, however eventually i began to receive alerts of various citizens being hit by flame. Further investigation on the way out found several corpses by the entrance to the fortress, an a near by swordsmen, idly tending to his woulds i presume. I quickly asked him to join me as i could only assume our adversary was one and the same, and our hasty alliance we ventured out of the fortress (after looting the unsucessful men before me) to find the now fleeing prey. I found him near by, standing as still as still can be, showing no hostile actions towards me nor my companion, though he had several minor wounds i can only assume were made by the previous attempts on his life.

i debated attacking the creature, though clearly a monster with its 3 legs and ability to breathe fire, its peaceful actions towards me so far made me halt in my tracks and question it, it showed no hostility in its chat logs, and was named the Master, i can only assume he was the prior goblins master, and was in a bit of a disarray at having these human now run the area after i guess a long nap. But after looking back at the bodies fallen behind me i decided that his rampage must be ended, and so with axe in hand and my swordsmen ally by my side i charged him, swinging with my axe and my aim proving true, my first attack being an attack on its head, as my elation grew though i realized with some mild distress, that the attack had been deflected by the "giant cave spider silk hood" i still can not beleive that silk made from a spider web could be so strong, however his attacks continued to be deflected by this garment, with only occasional strikes brusing him here or there.

his first flame attack scared me, but in truth proved to be a very minor would, and as the fight waed on, i received the majority of my wounds fromhis normal attacks. It was then, with even further dismay and shame, that i realized the creature was blocking both my self and my ally, as we were being beaten to death with a rope reed sock, my first wound from the creature was in fact a blow to the head with a sock that not only broke through my bronze helm but also fractured my skull and brused the muscle. Also note his silk garments were blocking my finely crafted bronze War Axe....... And so i died, a slow long death as all my attacks were deflected or only resulted in minor bruising, and i was slowly pummeled to death with a sock, if ever at such a time another adventure manages to kill this fiend, i will kill the whole world with that sock.

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First Adventure:Death by Sock
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 01:30:42 am »

Yet another epic saga to add to the long list of adventurers...

Devonus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 03:10:18 am »

and to top it off my newest adventures first quest is to kill a bronze collosus.... in a cave.... (which usually has other nasty things right?) the cave is aptly named "Intense Cave- The Scar of Pimple", which, as far as i'm concerned, the first 2 lwords say it all, SO, i think i'll avoid this one for now. Oh, did i forget the collosus they want me to kill has 155 kills? yeah..... not happening.

Edit: reading through some of the other things that happened in the sorrounding, first off they want me to kill the collosus bc it destroyed some of their building, second, it looks like they've also been hit by a dragon AND a marauding zombie from a ways down the map in the sinful marsh, hmm, this is going to be fun.

Edit 2: just went to another town, south of the first town east of above cave, they want the same colossus dead, they really dont like this guy. On a side note my little band of merry men have now increased to 4!, a mace men, 2 swordsmen, and a hammerman.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 03:21:10 am by Devonus »

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 03:32:28 am »

155 kills... on a beast that dont speak, that will be a fun intro dialouge...

Each one of those you would have to press 'Enter'

Devonus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 03:37:45 am »

well, this adventure isn't turning out so bad, minus the only quest so far being to kill a bronze collosus (thank god i've trolled the forums enough to know not to take that thing, other wise i might of tried) I've got a band of 5 merry men now (well 4, one is a girl) and pretty well balanced group, 4 melee and one ranged (plus myself either throwing rocks or going melee) just wish i could check their skills and crap, or equip them, that would be nice, if they survive and skill up like dwarves do in fortress, it would be nice to equip them with better gear :( might start a seperate post and keep it like a journal. I have the sudden urge to make a story about merry little band as they venture into the unknown wilds, having yet to be tested in the true fires of battle (only had to kill 1 cheetah, 1 cougar, and a few wart hogs who got in the way)

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 02:34:55 pm »

Doesn't it cap after the first ten names or so?

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 05:30:59 pm »

if the boasts have a cap then it is new to 0.31

the fate of Thomod Cilkogite was cruel o for the days when for the days when a sock sail across the sky,struck with you like lighting and shattered your body it a single strike.

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 07:05:45 pm »

Congrats on your 1st and somewhat epic adventure...well written too (maybe your 1st pal decided to become a monkey trainer :P). And yes, misc weaponry is still quite dangerous in the right hands (like the hulking demon you danced with). But I think they are actually weaker now unlike the past where tales of decorated bags are used to propel poor shmucks away over hills.

Sometimes, as if by fate, you actually recruit someone who is related to one of the megabeasts rampage...like their whole family was eaten by the local Dragon that your currently hunting. Angsty backstory
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 08:20:50 am »

Doesn't it cap after the first ten names or so?
not the last time i fought the only surviving bronze collosus, note THE ONLY MEGABEAST, had several hundred kills, and most of them I KNOW were pre-my-meddling adventurers/armies sent to slay the beast, a few had extra "the ace of aces" names. i stood in locked combat with my shield of awesome, uselessly hacking, then bashing with my shield of awesome, for a day, and every hour or so i'd have to go through the same menial task of ENTERing... never laid a solid hit on it, but it had dents and chips and all sorts of scars...

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 08:42:55 am »

And so i died, a slow long death as all my attacks were deflected or only resulted in minor bruising, and i was slowly pummeled to death with a sock, if ever at such a time another adventure manages to kill this fiend, i will kill the whole world with that sock.

Every time a new player learns to play DF right, an angel gets its halo, after its original home was destroyed by Armok.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Devonus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 11:36:14 pm »

sorry for the delay, took a week vacation to my GF house, though my true love laid patiently waiting back here.

Well i returned to the world and grabbed my newest adventurer, him and his merry band of 5 journeyed once more out into the world, traveling away from the territory of the marauding bronze collosus and over towards the territory of the afore mentioned demon. I stopped at every town and my charming character managed to once again claim many more hapless fools in his search for glory. Reachign a full compliment of 10, consisting of 2 crossbowmen, 1 bowmen, 2 pikemen, 1 axe men, 1 pikemen, and 2 swordsmen and a hammerman. We ventured forth and lone behold, we  received the quest to kill the demon again. My palms sweated as i recalled my last adventure, and my last fateful foray against the beast. But with my comrades beside me i thought mayhaps our sheer numbers this time would fell the demon. So we ventured forth and found the creature, as well as my old bag of gear. After a short prayer for my fallen adventurer we ventured forth into the fortress to find it, finly stumbling upon it on the roof. After a breif moment of panic and hering its intro consisting of naming one other poor sap and my own previous adventurer i fell back down the stairs to my band of merry men, only to lead the creature to a dead end, with my back against the wall i glared evil in the eye and once again new fear.

With little hope, my only chance of retreat cut off i charged the creature, once again astonished by the sheer streagth of its cloth clothes to ward off my attacks. However my merry men ofinally found it and began to attack it from behind. diverting its attention from me for the most part and we proceeded to attempt to bask the creature to death. I watched in horror though, my own attacks and the attacks of my comrades glancing away from the creatures impenetrable skin. But i saw hope as i realized the crossbow bolts and pikemen were consisitiantly bruising the creature and on occasion shattering bones. I found hope in theat realization, and tossing my axe aside began to try and strangle the creature, however things were not to go my way, being blasted with its fiery breath my stalwert adventuruer suffered a mortal woulnd. But lone behold! shortly there after a cross bow bolt struck true and lodged itself in the demons brain! I gasped what i thought mayhaps would be my last, but triumphant breath, but remembering the tales of the magical faeries of the travelers way, proceeded to quick travel back and forth before returning to claim what loot may be mind. But alas, fate was to be cruel to my adventurer. His wounds healed marvously.... but a cut apart spine and severed artery in my heel were destined not to heal, leaving my strong adventurer to travel only and forever more on the ground. but his stragth is strong, his companions beside him, he is willing to once again travel forth and fight, the crawling soldier of fate that he is.