Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Windows 7  (Read 1532 times)

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Windows 7
« on: August 09, 2010, 05:24:24 pm »

Does Win7 Home Premium come with the feature that lets you run XP-only applications?

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 05:28:04 pm »

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 06:59:29 pm »

God. Fucking. Damnit.

EDIT: Yea, damn bad choices, I'm going to check up with Best Buy/whoever and tell them my copy of Home Premium is broken or something, because I'm P. sure they'll give a refund then.

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 07:02:14 pm »

Or you could actually do what everyone else does and use the XP license you already have in a virtual machine. Nothing's stopping you from doing it yourself.

Why do you have "XP-only" applications anyway? Either it's DOS, and can be virtualized under DOSbox, or 16-bit, and it's time to upgrade.
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 07:56:24 pm »

Or you could actually do what everyone else does and use the XP license you already have in a virtual machine. Nothing's stopping you from doing it yourself.

Why do you have "XP-only" applications anyway? Either it's DOS, and can be virtualized under DOSbox, or 16-bit, and it's time to upgrade.
I just figured out you could do an upgrade from Home Premium to Professionial, but to answer your question.

I have no idea where the XP license is, if I had to say downgrade to XP I would literally not be able to unless I bought it again, hypothetically.

But some old-games, as you know, that stopped developement a while ago only work on XP/Vista.

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 08:59:12 pm »

Er, no. If a game works on Vista, it will work on Windows 7. There should be no exceptions to this rule unless somebody was counting on version numbers to mean something, and that can be worked around. And while one or two dumb corner cases may exist, I have not found a single title that worked on XP that did not work on Vista or Win7.

Now, there are really old games from the Win3.1 and Win95 era that won't run on a 64-bit operating system because they include 16-bit code that is not supported in x64 long mode, but that shouldn't matter: as you would almost certainly be using a 32-bit version of Windows XP (that being how you would be using those 16-bit games in the first place), you can use a 32-bit version of Windows 7 and still access them.

(I would suggest that, if you'd trade the absolutely awesome benefits of Win7 for a few 16-bit games, your priorities are totally crocked.)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 09:05:57 pm by Blacken »
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 09:06:00 pm »

Too bad Civilization II is one of those games...

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 10:06:39 pm »

I'm running Civ2-MGE right now. The 2.42 patch can't be patched to work with 64-bit, but anything earlier can.

Even if it doesn't: DOSBox. Virtualbox/VMware (both free).

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 02:13:31 pm »

Too bad Civilization II is one of those games...

Are you sure? I can't find anyone raging about Civ 2 not being compatible with win 7... (or my google-fu just sucks)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 02:18:13 pm »

Civ2 would run in dosbox, though, wouldnt it?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 12:05:50 pm »

doesn't Freeciv have a CivII mode?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 02:31:42 pm »

I heard you can run Win3.1 in dosbox if necessary.