Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military Uniform Screen  (Read 1540 times)

Kravick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Military Uniform Screen
« on: August 08, 2010, 03:19:37 am »

Trying to make heads or tails of the military screen I some how accidentally deleted all the default uniform sets and I cannot figure out how to get them back.  Apparently pressing enter deletes things out of a uniform.  Awesome that there was no warning about doing this.  Are they gone for good?  The wiki is really no help at all regarding anything to do with the military screen.  Its nothing but a jumbled mess of confusion.

This is what I'm stuck with after trying to fix what I screwed up.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I tried following the directions in the wiki but ultimately got no where.  Is there a set of comprehensive instructions or am I just screwed?

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military Uniform Screen
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 03:48:39 am »

You can't get them back automatically, but you can remake them. If you make a new game, they are automatically added.

Once you have a uniform marked in bright blue on your left, the menu that affects your actions is on the top of the screen. A capital (N) will rename your current set. Then go through each of the areas of the body and add armor (the chest area, breastplate+mailshirt), headpiece, legpiece, bootpiece and so on (your choices are listed under selection, use arrow keys to move). While having an item marked, you can press (M) to change its material type.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 03:50:57 am by Heavenfall »
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

Kravick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 04:14:43 am »

You can't get them back automatically, but you can remake them. If you make a new game, they are automatically added.

Once you have a uniform marked in bright blue on your left, the menu that affects your actions is on the top of the screen. A capital (N) will rename your current set. Then go through each of the areas of the body and add armor (the chest area, breastplate+mailshirt), headpiece, legpiece, bootpiece and so on (your choices are listed under selection, use arrow keys to move). While having an item marked, you can press (M) to change its material type.

As far as boots go, is there any way to allow them to equip whatever is available for that armor type?  For example if I have a mix of high boots and low boots, is there a way to allow them to pick which ever instead of trying to equip both?  I am assuming I have to choose material type (except chest since its item specific) if I want them to equip metal over leather and vice versa, correct?

Another question.  Is there a way to list dwarves by profession when adding them to squads like before?  Its kinda hard to memorize these guys names when looking through the dwarf list.  I usually recruit peasants and people I have an over abundance of job types into the military.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 04:17:50 am by Kravick »

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 04:49:34 am »

No, there's no way to select "pick a random item" for armor pieces, that only works for weapons (and possibly shields, don't know). You don't need to choose material type. If you don't choose, supposedly they will take the highest strength metal ones. Consider adding a material type a LIMIT of material rather than an unlocker. If you want them to wear leather, and you have spare metal boots, then you have to select the material type leather for the boots. (however, I've noted that some greedy dwarves will ignore the material limit assigned to them)

There's no way to sort the military list, as far as I know. I have taken to naming my military dwarves' professions M1 -> M6 because it's quite easy to see while scrolling down the list.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 04:51:31 am by Heavenfall »
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

Kravick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 06:19:58 am »

I have taken to naming my military dwarves' professions M1 -> M6 because it's quite easy to see while scrolling down the list.

Thats not a bad idea.  I think I'll borrow that idea if you don't mind.   :P