Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forgotten beast: "Well okay then!"  (Read 1645 times)

PecosBill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Forgotten beast: "Well okay then!"
« on: August 04, 2010, 07:44:20 pm »

I don't know if this should be a bug or a feature.

I had a forgotten beast show up that could blast out an area effect attack that could cause wounds as well as send any impacted units flying through the air to smash against walls.

It also sent ITSELF flying into walls whenever it did this.  I sort of picture a dragon that blasts fire and sends itself backwards like a rocket ship (although in this case, it was a crab...)

It killed two dwarves before apparently killing itself with a combination of being caught in its own damaging cloud and smashing itself into walls.  My military never even got involved.  Reading the report, the only thing that hit it was its own attack and slamming into things.

Makes me think of the dragons that Pratchett has in discworld -- the ones that get alarmed and breath fire and blow themselves up about half the time.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten beast: "Well okay then!"
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 07:51:37 pm »

That would be swamp Dragons. Draconis Vulgaris.

And yes, FB's sometimes have that ability.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 08:47:57 pm »

Forgotten Beast cancels emit aural rapecone: Ears too pulverized
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 08:55:58 pm »

I think of dust FB like this: Free Meats.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 09:08:31 pm »

This is apparently a buggy feature, it's listed on the wiki on the syndromes page, where it explicitly states that this sort of thing can happen. There's also a ranged version of the attack that will not affect the user while still doing the same to enemies, so 'deadly dust' beasts should not necessarily be taken lightly.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 09:27:44 pm »

It killed two dwarves before apparently killing itself with a combination of being caught in its own damaging cloud and smashing itself into walls.
Imagine that, a beast more deadly than a full-grown dragon!
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Glech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 09:41:18 pm »

My guess is, since it's a crab and most likely he attacked you in your fort, it couldn't get the right footing to prevent itself from propelling itself into the wall.

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 10:28:35 pm »

This is apparently a buggy feature, it's listed on the wiki on the syndromes page, where it explicitly states that this sort of thing can happen. There's also a ranged version of the attack that will not affect the user while still doing the same to enemies, so 'deadly dust' beasts should not necessarily be taken lightly.
Indeed. I remember reading on the dev log about a bug where breath attacks would send things flying because they used the same code as the dust from cave-ins, but I assumed Toady fixed that before the First of April release.
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 11:38:34 pm »

Firstly, I don't see why this isn't intended behavior. Maybe the bit where crashing itself into walls kills it shouldn't happen, but flying creatures with a dust attack work out fine. In any case, they should AT LEAST still send other things flying, else it'd be indisinguishable from a normal gas attack.

Secondly, the ranged version DOES affect the user. See: Rocket Dragon.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 11:41:54 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Thadius

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:homemade coffee]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 01:18:46 am »

Urist McScientist: So there's this giant enemy crab running around in the caves down below...
Urist McMarksman: Where's the weak point?  I want to hit it for massive damage!
Urist McScientist: Well, you can't.  It's hitting ITSELF.
Urist McMarksman: ...I need a larger drink.
If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves from their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 02:10:05 am »

Usually dust FBS are terrifying. Ive had to deal with my fair share. Some leave half my militia blinded or dead. Others do give up the ghost easily, but its hard to tell till you actually go up against one. Any beast that emits any sort of excretia is potentially deadly, especially if its gases can travel up my staircase into the dinning hall....
A leg of ham, a jug of beer and thou besides me, whistling in the darkness.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 02:27:35 am »

Firstly, I don't see why this isn't intended behavior. Maybe the bit where crashing itself into walls kills it shouldn't happen, but flying creatures with a dust attack work out fine. In any case, they should AT LEAST still send other things flying, else it'd be indisinguishable from a normal gas attack.

Secondly, the ranged version DOES affect the user. See: Rocket Dragon.

Yeh, I meant the bugged part was that it can hurt itself, clearly the ability to send things flying was intentional. I assumed that since the trailing dust flow one doesn't carry a warning, and since I haven't even tested the turret spiders I've made using it, that it must not share the problems of the undirected dust version.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 02:52:22 am »

if only you could cage that thing and drop in on a horde of goblins...
just imagine the gobbos flying all over the place.