Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: House-in  (Read 2251 times)

Eich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
House-in
« on: August 04, 2010, 08:36:59 am »

Greetz,

after I created a new world I wanted to make a few experiments. First of all I wanted to see how a human settlement looks like. So I embarked into a human town. Right on top of the roof. Great ;) But at least there was a staircase. All in all it seems like a cool idea to embark into a present settlement. Lot's of meatshields and I think FUN is guaranteed. My second experiment had something to do with drainage. I thought about how to drain a part of the sea. I thought something like this:

wwwww
wXXXw
wXFXF
wXXXw
wwwww

w = water
X = Wall
F = Floor

As you may see I wanted to dismantle the floor to the right and sink the walls into the ocean. Then I could drain the inside with pumps and dig into the ocean. But my second experiment did raise some problems. Look here:

A thriving human settlement with some small houses. I digged away all the sand under the house and channeld away what was holding it.

But this turned out to be a bad idea:

Poor fella ~

I thought, this does not look good. Let's check the cellar.

LOT'S of wood. Sweet... But unfortunatly the building was gone.

So, does anyone know what would happen to an iron wall which becomes "caved-in" into the ocean? Will it turn back into iron blocks as well? I will have to do another experiment, but I thought I could raise the question before I try it.
If this would not work, do you guys see another possibility to drain a part of an ocean (which does not freeze)?
At this time, a friend shall lose his friend's hammer and the young shall not know where lieth the things possessed by their fathers that their fathers put there only just the night before, about eight o'clock.

deoxys413

• Bay Watcher
  • Space. It's quiet, too quiet...
    • View Profile
Re: House-in
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 08:45:20 am »

The result you got was due to the building being artificial. All 'constructed' materials such as the human settlements and those made by b>C>?. I know for a fact that goblin fortresses are made of obsidian stone and collapse in the fashion you're looking for, the walls will stay up, but the floors/ceilings/ect. will questionably be intact.
WATER is the universal solvent.
MAGMA is the universal solution.

Eich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 09:30:51 am »

Thanks, I will conduct some research then which materials can withstand a "cavein"... at least obsidian will do the job as you pointed out...
At this time, a friend shall lose his friend's hammer and the young shall not know where lieth the things possessed by their fathers that their fathers put there only just the night before, about eight o'clock.

armadilloHD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 10:37:23 am »

Thanks, I will conduct some research then which materials can withstand a "cavein"... at least obsidian will do the job as you pointed out...
The material doesn't matter, what matters is how the stone is formed.
So say you carved out an obelisk from a mountain and then collapsed the obelisk, the obelisk wouldn't crumble into raw stone, it would remain an obelisk and drop a few levels.  Rough (stone) walls, (Stone) block walls, rough (stone) floors, etc. will revert to their materials when collapsed a level.  However, rough-hewn (stone) walls, smooth (stone) walls and engraved (stone) walls, will not.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 10:42:04 am »

I just realised that you can stack pumps to get magma to the surface ... and then lead it out into the middle of an ocea; where the magma can run into the water and harden into one big pillar... which can then be carved into an ocean tower.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 10:49:58 am »

I just realised that you can stack pumps to get magma to the surface ... and then lead it out into the middle of an ocea; where the magma can run into the water and harden into one big pillar... which can then be carved into an ocean tower.
If you do it right. Do it "wrong" (pfft) and you'll have an ocean iced with obsidian.

The forming obsidian sticks to the side of the first wall that touches it you see.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 11:03:40 am »

If you do it right. Do it "wrong" (pfft) and you'll have an ocean iced with obsidian.

The forming obsidian sticks to the side of the first wall that touches it you see.

ah yes. i imagine it's the same as when i poured water into a magma pipe in 40d. all you need is to keep the magma pipe some distance above the water surface, i believe
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 11:31:04 am »

ah yes. i imagine it's the same as when i poured water into a magma pipe in 40d. all you need is to keep the magma pipe some distance above the water surface, i believe
It will probably still turn out like this:
Code: [Select]
~~~#########~~~
~~~~~~~#~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~#~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~#~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~#~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~#~~~~~~~
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 12:33:58 pm »

It will probably still turn out like this:
Code: [Select]
~~~#########~~~
~~~~~~~#~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~#~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~#~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~#~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~#~~~~~~~

Do it from a sufficient height with sufficient pressure, and I think you'll get a nice spread. Enough to cave-in the outlying icing, anyway. You may need to rig a floodgate/bridge with cistern up there to drop hunks of it at once.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 01:37:39 pm »

Meteor gun ftw!
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 01:59:04 pm »

Do it from a sufficient height with sufficient pressure, and I think you'll get a nice spread. Enough to cave-in the outlying icing, anyway. You may need to rig a floodgate/bridge with cistern up there to drop hunks of it at once.
It will still hardly be enough for building anything decent in it, plus you'll leave a bunch of waterpockets.

Making a "icing" and collapsing it over and over until you've made a pillar that reaches the surface will work though.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 02:38:33 pm »

It will still hardly be enough for building anything decent in it, plus you'll leave a bunch of waterpockets.

Making a "icing" and collapsing it over and over until you've made a pillar that reaches the surface will work though.

Such was my thought. The magma drop makes a very rough obsidian pillar a few tiles wide from which caveins can happen safely.

Now I'll stop talking about it before I want to do it.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 02:51:58 pm »

Pish Posh. You're simply not using a large enough cistern.

MORE BRIDGES. MORE MAGMA. FIRE THE METEOR CANNON!

*FWOOM*

with a wide enough 1 z-level tall cistern you should be able to lay an entire floor at a time. with a drainage cistern to the side to remove excess magma from the downspout.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 02:53:33 pm by lanceleoghauni »
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"