Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Let's Play Heroes of Might and Magic 3  (Read 10103 times)

Freak

• Bay Watcher
  • World's Deadliest Idiot
    • View Profile
Let's Play Heroes of Might and Magic 3
« on: August 03, 2010, 01:21:24 pm »

Too start off some info for those of you who have no clue what this game is.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heroes_of_Might_and_Magic_III

And you can get the game for yourself here.
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/heroes_of_might_and_magic_3_complete_edition

I will be playing in single scenario mode.

But now for the most important question what town will I start with?

Decide quickly, for I will stop caring soon.

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Heroes of Might and Magic 3
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 01:28:04 pm »

Necropolis.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 01:31:35 pm »

We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 01:32:24 pm »

Inferno.
Ps. I really wanted Original War  :'(

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 01:37:18 pm »

This old game :-D
I'd go with inferno as well.

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 01:42:00 pm »

Actually, never mind. Let's go with inferno.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Freak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 02:15:29 pm »

Bored Now! Inferno it is!

Now it's Hero time. I'll pick this one.

Hmmm, no, bleh, uuggg, nope, yes, no way, now that's just wrong, wait did I say yes? ...Yesssssss

And here's the random map settings.

And so it begins.

Here's my starting town.

And the area around it.

And while I was exploring I scored my first victory.

Well I'm done for now if you have any suggestions don't hesitate to post them.

Bonus Time: Here's a few pdf files that might help people understand the game.
http://www.filefront.com/17170463/Heroes-Junk.zip
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 02:41:24 pm by Freak »

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 03:12:09 pm »

oh the many many hours my family have spent on this game... and HoMM 2 and 4.

I would have voted for conflux because magic elementals might as well have been a top tier creature. they are basically hydras that move across the map and are immune to magic. Phoenixes are a rather underwhelming top tier creature but if you manage to keep them alive long enough you'll have dozens before anyone else has 10 of their own top tier, being immune to fire doesn't hurt (har har i'm funny) though their rebirth ability sucks (entire stack has to die before it happens).

never had much use for energy and magma elementals (which would have been very dwarven of a choice since when it boils down to it, a large stack of those really does solve all problems).

Conflux is one of the best you can choose for early army strength. Pixies once upgraded into sprites are incredibly numerous (like imps), incredibly fast (more-so than centaur captains) and cant be counter attacked (better than you think, amazing if used right). I love this unit because once you cast bless on it (a very early game spell that causes the target to always do max damage) they become quite deadly, something most tier 1 units never become (gremlins, skeletons and centaurs (to some degree) excluded)

Conflux's second tier unit, the air elemental is useful early on because it has a moderate speed and takes very little damage from ranged attacks. They are some of the best tier 2 units in the game before they get upgraded to storm elementals which are only tier 2 creatures because conflux cant have two tier 3's. Storm elementals retain all the strengths of being air elementals while gaining a ranged attack and having a ranged attacker who is immune to lightning and chain lightning is always good. Speaking of which the water elemental is pretty sub-par until you upgrade them to ice in which case they basically become storm elementals without the immunity to lightning (but they are immune to ice bolt... assuming your enemy never managed to get anything better)

my second choice would have been the tower nation. I love ranged units and they get 3 of them (including their tier one and top tier units). Their master genies are also pretty useful, not just as a fast and hard hitting flying unit but they can also cast a random benefical buff on one of your units on command. If you cast bless on your gremlins then the genie casts say precision on them, they will be pretty powerful. I never did find golems, gargoyles or nagas to be very useful, probably because all the carnage the three ranged units could toss out.

Necropolis can make for an interesting game. Protect your skeletons and liches. With necromancy and careful first few months of rampaging you can quickly have thousands of skeletons while inferno players will have only a few hundred lousy imps. Bone dragons and liches are fun too.

I dislike inferno because with the exception of some kick ass last few tiers, they really suffer from army strength. Imps are laughable, requiring you to have the holy grail for them to finally have a use (that's a pretty steep requirement seeing as how finding the holy grail early almost never happens.)

Magogs are... not so great. Usually i love ranged units but a ranged unit with an area of effect attack only really works for the liches (friendly fire is a bitch). Tiers 3-5 are pretty generic, mostly medium movement with average to above average attack and health. Cerebuses (sp?) are kinda good, spread attack (with no friendly fire) without counter attack and really nice movement, however unlike the sprites, they don't fly and tend to be attacked more often (computers at least see them as a moderate threat, compared to sprites which are often ignored). Inferno's ifreet and devils are what really make this nation playable. Ifreet are flying tanks that are immune to fire and enemies that attack them in melee take damage based on how many ifreet you have. The devils (once upgraded to arch devils) have a lame summoning ability but ignore that. Teleporting and extremely high speed makes them first turn assholes. Use them to take out a chunk of the enemy's most valuable unit.

castle and rampart nations are also pretty nice. castle is great for mobility and ranged damage (take care to abuse the champions ability to increase damage based on how far they move that turn, arch angels are basically arch devils that can raise dead units and zelots are really powerful if you get their numbers up. Rampart has a very strong low level archer and a decent first tier creature. dwarves and treants are best left at the fortress which leaves your traveling army somewhat weakened, makes your "defensless" castle a little harder to take without an impressive army or an awesome spell or two. peguses and unicorns are so-so while their top tier is really expensive for their stats. sadly gold dragons are not immune to implode like black dragons are. Rampart is a great nation to mix and match armies. Toss in marksman and zelots from castle or gremlins and magi from tower.

I think I have posted enough wall of text for now... :P Will be watching.
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966

Freak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 03:35:05 pm »

Personally I prefer playing as either castle or necropolis but people wanted inferno so inferno it is.

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 05:53:13 pm »

If i remember correctly, your best bet as a inferno hero/army is to go offensive with spell casting. kick your knowledge and spell power up every chance you get and abuse your spells. blind their archers, mass your curses, chain your lightning!

the spells you get in your first town or two will be very important, hope for at least lightning and one useful mass spell. Chain lightning, implosion and inferno are pretty usefull early to mid game but later you'll want a few good mass spells.

Keep an eye out for teleport specifically, That spell is usually reserved for sending a slow but strong stack into the enemy archers (like a treant or a bunch of dwarves) but it will make your horned demons and pit lords actually useful against archers.

If you get hypnotize than i'm sorry but the RNG hates you so much. I dont think i have ever used that spell to any effect as it is limited by your spell power X small amount of hitpoints. This causes it to only work on low hitpoint and low number stacks... those things you ignore because they dont pose any threat at all...

I used to love the spell "visions" as it would show you how many enemies there was in a roaming army (or enemy army) and predict how the battle would go. This was untill I learned that cunning use of spells and creature abilities can tip most battles in your favor
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966

Freak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 06:08:46 pm »

Update Time!

I'm just going to skim over most of the details and just post about big stuff like battles.

And I'll keep going until my inevitable failure.

Speaking of which.

Useless imps... oh yeah I'm doomed.

As you can see I've upgraded some of my units.

Forgot to get the battle report but the only real losses I took was when my magogs blew up all my imps... so really no major losses at all.

Oh hey, a foolish mortal

Oh yeah I can take em.

And the imps once again prove how useless they are.

Just what I've always wanted ::)

Anyways I think that's enough for now.

Here's my hero/army

My Town

And the world as I know it.

mipe9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 12:38:30 am »

I prefer to play necropolis with the hero that gains bonus in necromancy. If you manage to get the combo artifact.. :) Raising every killed opponent creature as lich is awesome. Especially if the opponent has like, 500 pixies or something :D (For people that don't play HOMM, there are artifacts, which gives special properties. If you have a 'set' of them [For example, there is a cloak that gives necromancy boost, boots that give necromancy boost and some other item that gives necromancy boost], they will combine into one artifact that has big bonuses)

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 02:37:18 am »

I find it odd your losing that many of anything, it's been a while since I played that game, but I recall keeping every troop almost every battle, unlike HoMM1, where it takes serious resources to avoid losses.

I'm not sure why you consider battles important without any context to go with them! What have you gained with each one? Also, did the enemy hero leave behind a boat for you?
 It looks like a good time to get a second hero, for picking up resources so your army doesn't have to waste time on them, and for going scouting in that boat I hope is there.

How much does this version remind you of chess compared to others?
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Freak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 02:49:15 am »

I find it odd your losing that many of anything, it's been a while since I played that game, but I recall keeping every troop almost every battle, unlike HoMM1, where it takes serious resources to avoid losses.

I'm not sure why you consider battles important without any context to go with them! What have you gained with each one? Also, did the enemy hero leave behind a boat for you?
 It looks like a good time to get a second hero, for picking up resources so your army doesn't have to waste time on them, and for going scouting in that boat I hope is there.

How much does this version remind you of chess compared to others?

The imps are a really poor combat unit who's only purpose in my mind is to get killed so more important units can attack.
The non context battles are just random monsters guarding resources, and the overall view of my island shows what I've taken.
And there should be a boat but I want to build up my army before I start launching raids.
And how does this game remind you of chess?

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 03:15:29 am »

I guess it was with the other castles where that's easier.
 I wanted some relation to what fights were getting to what ground and resources, since you were only making note of the battle's details.
 I usually don't send my main army off away from guarding my castle, so I send one or two heroes with almost no forces out to take what hasn't been picked up, increase view range, and claim random enemy producers. It seems like a good idea to be able to see enemy heroes before they land, in case something strong comes along.

It seemed to me like it was significantly more prevalent in the older games, and I wanted to know if you agreed. Where you feel like you're using the same kind of thought processes involving material and mobility. Where a battle feels like an exchange of pieces; trading a certain amount of material (troops) for position (certain pass, producer, or castle), or giving position to save material. It also has to do with those moments where your choosing between two different advantages, such as extra luck/moral and attacking one hero for fewer losses, or no bonuses but taking down two heroes for more losses.
 It might also be only on higher difficulties that it happens too, such as playing a 150% game.

(At least one thing inherently wrong with my posts can be explained by exhaustion.)
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.
Pages: [1] 2