Poll

Will you be attending the next session?

Yes
- 9 (39.1%)
No
- 14 (60.9%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 160

Author Topic: D&D: The mercenaries - Game Concluding  (Read 125815 times)

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
Re: D&D: The Mercenaries - On hiatus.
« Reply #540 on: September 11, 2010, 01:26:35 pm »

So, as for the cryptic mural of engravings, if the characters are supposed to represent the PCs in their past lives then which ones are who?

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: September 11, 2010, 01:27:56 pm »

Given the dreams?  I suspect that Naren was the golden guy.

Aryana was the one woman at the end.

I don't think the rest of you were presented.  As I said, it was incomplete.

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: September 11, 2010, 01:32:22 pm »

I thought Dharsus could be the shovel king.
if only because he was repeatedly described as ugly in Naren's interpretation.

If the dreams are of any real importance they tell me virtually nothing about Dharsus' past life. I'm beginning to wonder what Cerrad's premonitory dream was.

EDIT:I'm wondering if Naren get's the +2 to dex and -2 to con that all elves get.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 03:31:32 pm by Robocorn »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: September 11, 2010, 04:16:07 pm »

I am seriously considering taking track next level...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: September 11, 2010, 05:00:52 pm »

Which would mean we need -1 members to be fully functional. We've since been entirely overblown with members that have no notch to fill. Maybe I'll eat my words when Zook or Reese's character becomes an essential member of the group. Maybe I just have a bad taste in my mouth from Gubble.

This strikes me as Ironic as Dharsus serves very little purpose these days but punch people and comment on how our activities border on criminal.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: September 11, 2010, 06:03:00 pm »

It is a difficult choice, I would qualify for combat brute, now combat brute and shock trooper(both from complete warrior) make a great team, but so do scent and track...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: September 11, 2010, 08:07:33 pm »

We could use more nonsquishies. Even I am halfsquishy.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: September 11, 2010, 08:11:22 pm »

My hit points are mostly the result of lucky rolls, and could dry up in the coming levels, not to mention that they leak out in rivers...
Read the First Post!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: D&D: The Mercenaries - Always hiring new players
« Reply #548 on: September 11, 2010, 09:28:09 pm »

If I was to make a character, what level should I do it for, and what role is needed?
Well, I'll tell you what each member currently does. Also, I'll throw in some other information for if you want to make your character different from everyone else's.

Gurk the Unreliable - Male/Orc/Bear Warrior - Dumb as a post, but strong enough to survive what he gets himself in to. Eh likes to breaking doors and doesn't afraid of anything. Gurk likes his fights straightforward with plenty of attacking to do. Turns into a bear sometimes.

Aryana - Female/Human/Sorceress - Usually pretty destructive, but squishier than water. She is sort of a DMPC at the moment. If she gets hit with an attack, she usually needs some serious healing. She does a lot of damage with spells, but in melee combat she is more of a liability than anything else. Apparently used to be someone from a long time ago, shown in the last panel of the carvings. There's a link to those somewhere, if you're wondering who.

Zook Flamespit - Male/Gnome/Wizard - Only slightly less squishy than Aryana. He as a weird obsession with lighting peoples' blood on fire, but it's pretty useful at times. He is a transmuter and thus focuses on battlefield control spells, such as Burning Blood and Telekinesis. He joined recently, and nobody seems to take him seriously no matter what he does, probably due to his race. (You racists.)

Dharsus - Male/Human/Monk - Likes to use flurry of blows and does it very well. He is one of the main damage-dealing party members, and also takes hits better than most of the party. I'm not sure how, but he can apparently turn gaseous at will and flow through walls and such. Along with Cerrad, he flanks things until they die to death.

Cerrad - Male/Human/Swashbuckler - Possibly the most min/maxed character of the bunch. (Or the only one.) He takes damage fairly well due to his high AC and HP, so he usually enters melee combat at the fore. He has a lot of useful equipment and skills, mostly the sneaky ones. If he can get off a full sneak attack on something, it stands no chance at all.

Eafoth - ?/?/Cleric - It's a secret what this is, actually. However, it's pretty easy to guess that Eafoth is a cleric, because it heals things constantly. There have been several occasions when Eafoth has brought party members back from the very brink of death, but I'd prefer you had a character that could take more than one hit. It is a very agile creature, whatever it is, so he uses two light maces to crush anything that gets between itself and a healing target. I'm currently working on improving the ability of Eafoth to tumble past opponents, but in general she can get around pretty well. Also, he appears to be blind, but she has a headband that gives Blindsight out to 60 feet. It really hates taking a hit, but usually it can dodge them with its AC and the fact that it is always far from the thick of the fight.

Naren Obosa - Female(?)/Elf(?)/Bard - A bard of average sturdiness, she's useful for her buffs and her backup-healer capabilities. Also good at stabbing things with arrows from afar. Also, she was recently cursed by what I suspect to be Gungnir, the Spear of Odin, to be an elven sorceress instead of human bard. It was really hilarious, but luckily she has enough levels in Bard to remain a fairly good musician anyway.

For more information, RAM has a post on page 1 with all the character sheets, but some aren't updated very often.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 12:10:24 pm by Barbarossa the Seal God »

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: September 12, 2010, 12:55:09 am »

Please uncolour the names in that. It's a handy list, but the colors are hard to read.

Possibly the most min/maxed character of the bunch.

POSSIBLY?

On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: September 12, 2010, 02:41:28 am »

I am pretty min/maxed if something needs to be grappled...

Or not... At level 11 I only have +29 as a bear, and a CR 12 basic model Purple worm has a grapple modifier of +40, although at level 12 I will get brown bear and my grapple modifier will go up to... +38 as a bear. With a bull's strength I would go up to purple worm level and if I somehow got my hands on an animal growth spell then that would be worth another +8! But grapple is a bit of an on/off sort of thing. A grapple monsters will generally do it better than me, and some folk will be completely immune to it. But one of these days I will be carrying a paladin under each arm and another in me teeth and it will be a good day!

Hmm, a wand of animal growth would cost forty two thousand gold pieces and have a caster level of fourteen...

P.S.
 I have it on good authority that we could find an ancient red dragon, and its horde, at any time we choose to, so what is the earliest level we can confront it at?
 And do we want to ask the DM to stat it out before we discuss battle strategies? For example, if we figure out a way for me to beat its +60 grapple modifier, and find a way to enter a grapple with a gargantuan creature, then the DM will have an interesting decision to make when they realise that ancient red dragons can cast Freedom of Movement as a sorcerer...

Here are the links: Red Dragon
CR: 23, if we can't beat it before level 20 then we fail.
Breath weapon: 20D10 DC36, average damage of 110 fire.
 If its lair is in a cave then we can't do much to avoid this, but at least it won't be flying and roasting us from a distance.
Spells: 15th level sorcerer, 24 charisma, can learn spells from the cleric, sorcerer, fire domain, Evil domain and, chaos domain lists. DC 17+spell level so long as it has no feats or spells...
 Greater dispel could be some use for counterspelling, otherwise it is likely to, once again, fly and nuke us from orbit.
Attack: +44(4d6+14) +39 +39(2d8+7) +39 +39(2d6+7) +39(2d8+21). 20 foot reach with the bite, but with 10 dexterity it hopefully won't have more than 3 AoOs in a round. Counts as magic for DR.
 The damage doesn't look that bad, but this is without feats, add in a dash of Multiattack, maybe some Power Attack, and a sprinkle of Divine Favour and you start to have an impressive serving...
 At least nobody told the DM about that feat that lets sorcerers cast quickened spells...
Frightful presence: You must be [DC 34 will save] tall to play with mistress Red. The good news: it seems to only be shaken, so you can fight, just at -2. The bad news: I cannot find any reference to it being mind affecting or fear, which seems insane, so no immunity...
 Meh, live with the -2, what is a little crippling between friends...

I will leave it at that for now, although they do have recommended feats and the defences need to be reviewed if we come up with a way to live long enough to attack it...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 03:52:41 am by RAM »
Read the First Post!

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: September 12, 2010, 04:55:35 am »

click on the frightful presence ability int eh dragon description, scroll up a click or two- it is under the fear heading
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#fear

also...
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=239670
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: September 12, 2010, 05:07:15 am »

Thankyou for that, Frightful presence looks to be a mind affecting fear effect, which means that there are magical defences, so long as nobody gives the DM the idea of putting antimagic on its known spells list...

Umm, sorry for prying, but I can't quite figure out how you a human could have 22 base intelligence at level 10. If there is something that I am missing then I would very much like to know what it is...
Read the First Post!

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: September 12, 2010, 05:11:00 am »

Umm, sorry for prying, but I can't quite figure out how you a human could have 22 base intelligence at level 10. If there is something that I am missing then I would very much like to know what it is...

I took the advice of making him two age categories closer to the grim reaper(hence the 7 strength), and placed my stat ups from 4th and 8th into intelligence.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: September 12, 2010, 05:18:44 am »

I am pretty min/maxed if something needs to be grappled...

Or not... At level 11 I only have +29 as a bear, and a CR 12 basic model Purple worm has a grapple modifier of +40, although at level 12 I will get brown bear and my grapple modifier will go up to... +38 as a bear. With a bull's strength I would go up to purple worm level and if I somehow got my hands on an animal growth spell then that would be worth another +8! But grapple is a bit of an on/off sort of thing. A grapple monsters will generally do it better than me, and some folk will be completely immune to it. But one of these days I will be carrying a paladin under each arm and another in me teeth and it will be a good day!

Hmm, a wand of animal growth would cost forty two thousand gold pieces and have a caster level of fourteen...

P.S.
 I have it on good authority that we could find an ancient red dragon, and its horde, at any time we choose to, so what is the earliest level we can confront it at?
 And do we want to ask the DM to stat it out before we discuss battle strategies? For example, if we figure out a way for me to beat its +60 grapple modifier, and find a way to enter a grapple with a gargantuan creature, then the DM will have an interesting decision to make when they realise that ancient red dragons can cast Freedom of Movement as a sorcerer...

Here are the links: Red Dragon
CR: 23, if we can't beat it before level 20 then we fail.
Breath weapon: 20D10 DC36, average damage of 110 fire.
 If its lair is in a cave then we can't do much to avoid this, but at least it won't be flying and roasting us from a distance.
Spells: 15th level sorcerer, 24 charisma, can learn spells from the cleric, sorcerer, fire domain, Evil domain and, chaos domain lists. DC 17+spell level so long as it has no feats or spells...
 Greater dispel could be some use for counterspelling, otherwise it is likely to, once again, fly and nuke us from orbit.
Attack: +44(4d6+14) +39 +39(2d8+7) +39 +39(2d6+7) +39(2d8+21). 20 foot reach with the bite, but with 10 dexterity it hopefully won't have more than 3 AoOs in a round. Counts as magic for DR.
 The damage doesn't look that bad, but this is without feats, add in a dash of Multiattack, maybe some Power Attack, and a sprinkle of Divine Favour and you start to have an impressive serving...
 At least nobody told the DM about that feat that lets sorcerers cast quickened spells...
Frightful presence: You must be [DC 34 will save] tall to play with mistress Red. The good news: it seems to only be shaken, so you can fight, just at -2. The bad news: I cannot find any reference to it being mind affecting or fear, which seems insane, so no immunity...
 Meh, live with the -2, what is a little crippling between friends...

I will leave it at that for now, although they do have recommended feats and the defences need to be reviewed if we come up with a way to live long enough to attack it...

Please keep in mind that "ancient" has two meanings in this context.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 160