Poll

Will you be attending the next session?

Yes
- 9 (39.1%)
No
- 14 (60.9%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 160

Author Topic: D&D: The mercenaries - Game Concluding  (Read 126012 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D: The Mercenaries - Not on Hiatus
« Reply #1245 on: January 23, 2011, 05:44:29 am »

Anti-impact could be read as only protecting from falling damage, it seems kind of poorly defined...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: January 23, 2011, 01:36:59 pm »

Anti-impact could be read as only protecting from falling damage, it seems kind of poorly defined...
I remember the book saying something about also protecting from the stomps of giant beasts, so it could possibly help against dragons and the like.

Obdurium - Stronghold Builder's Guidebook
Mordenkainen's Disjunction
Awl Pike - Dragon Magazine #331, page 24. It's pretty obscure, but I can PM you a scan of the page.
Mountain Plate - Races of Stone, page 158
Stabilized - Underdark, page 66

I forget where I found the Anti-Impact enhancement.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: January 23, 2011, 02:28:12 pm »

Cerrad got all his shopping done during the last session, so...

Option 1: Make a Martial Lore check, find a temple of the Sublime Way, and spend a couple weeks trying to derive a couple new first-level maneuvers (roughly the same way wizards invent new spells; probably costs a couple thousand gp worth in practice materials, tutoring fees, and asking the higher-level initiators for advice)
Option 2: failing that, Cerrad will spend his time alternating between reading at the library (looking for references to lost weapons of the gods, how to fight gods in general, and information on the creepy child and her mom) and sleeping. Maybe I'll visit the Mage Guild or something and ask for advice, too...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 06:07:22 pm by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: January 23, 2011, 05:55:24 pm »

Anti-impact can be found in the complete warrior page 133:
Protects against bludgeoning damage that affects all or most of the entire body.
Falling damage and constriction damage are mentioned specifically.
Does not protect against weapon damage.

As far as dragons go, there is an argument for it working against crush, and possibly tail sweep too. It may even work against making a grapple check to deal damage. None of which is all that common except that it is probably useful against most of the grappling oriented monsters.

Actually, if it works the way that I think it does, a greater ring of spell storing(200000 gold pieces) could be very useful, if I could find a cooperative cleric I could get them to give me antimagic fields and righteous mights, both of which could be invaluable to my grapple checks depending upon the opponent. Given that a 9th level pearl of power is less than half the price and slotless, I can only assume that the ring does, indeed, allow the wearer to cast the spell even if they are not a spellcaster...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: January 23, 2011, 06:13:35 pm »

if I could find a cooperative cleric I could get them to give me antimagic fields and righteous mights, both of which could be invaluable to my grapple checks depending upon the opponent.
Like Eafoth? I'm pretty sure I can cast righteous might, not sure about antimagic field.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: January 23, 2011, 06:18:45 pm »

if I could find a cooperative cleric I could get them to give me antimagic fields and righteous mights, both of which could be invaluable to my grapple checks depending upon the opponent.
Like Eafoth? I'm pretty sure I can cast righteous might, not sure about antimagic field.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/antimagicField.htm

level 8 cleric spell, level 6 wizard spell...
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: January 23, 2011, 06:26:34 pm »

I remember the book saying something about also protecting from the stomps of giant beasts, so it could possibly help against dragons and the like.

Obdurium - Stronghold Builder's Guidebook
Mordenkainen's Disjunction
Awl Pike - Dragon Magazine #331, page 24. It's pretty obscure, but I can PM you a scan of the page.
Mountain Plate - Races of Stone, page 158
Stabilized - Underdark, page 66

I forget where I found the Anti-Impact enhancement.
Ok. I have the SBG, so Odburiam's fine.
I'll need that scan, but I've seen Awl pikes for 2nd edition, so probably fine.
Anti-impact is fine, but of very limited use
I don't have underdark or Races of Stone, so I'll need scans
You can ad Disjunction to a weapon, but it will be 1/day, 2/day, or 3/day. Not a chance of giving you unlimited castings.

RAM: I'll have to consider the spell ring. Nothing says that it can be used by non-casters, but it is implied.

EDIT: On reading the prerequsite spell, it CAN be used by non-casters.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 06:28:22 pm by Lord Shonus »
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: January 23, 2011, 10:25:47 pm »

I won't scan the mountain plate right now because there's no way I'd try and use that on a character with 20 dexterity, but if someone else wants to try it, feel free to springboard off of my brick-wall-for-skin idea.

Here's the table for the awl pike, followed by the description.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

On the Mage's Disjunction, for the exact same price you can technically also get one with only 5 uses per day. How about that?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: January 23, 2011, 10:34:16 pm »

barb, got the footnotes of that scan?

(and/or descriptions, I am curious what the difference is between the glaive and the naginata that they have an entry for each instead of one entry encompassing each.)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: January 23, 2011, 11:08:07 pm »

Footnotes? You mean the annotations for those little numbers by the name of the item? I don't want to take the time for a scan, but here's the text.

2 - This weapon deals double damage when readied against a charge.
6 - See full description [the second picture] for special rules.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: January 24, 2011, 05:42:05 pm »

The pike with Disjunction 5/day will be 3200 GD.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: January 25, 2011, 01:06:47 am »

I won't be buying that now, but I think that weapon might be more powerful than Odin's spear itself. What with Obdurium being unbreakable even by the gods*.

*As of 2nd edition, not sure about the 3.5 update.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: January 25, 2011, 07:07:47 am »

Ummm, 60 hardness is not unbeatable, I mean, at level 20 you can get 40 damage from power attack alone, a frenzied berzerker could just blast through it...
Read the First Post!

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: January 25, 2011, 02:09:50 pm »

Ummm, 60 hardness is not unbeatable, I mean, at level 20 you can get 40 damage from power attack alone, a frenzied berzerker could just blast through it...

Anyone with 3 levels in any initiator class (or 1 level, taken at level 5 or later) can learn Mountain Hammer: bypass DR and hardness, do +2d6 damage.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: January 25, 2011, 04:06:35 pm »

Isn't there an unarmed feat- eagle strike or something like that- that allows unarmed attacks to bypass hardness?
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 160