Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Give dwarfs some dignity and stop the lagging.  (Read 1504 times)

Jayce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Give dwarfs some dignity and stop the lagging.
« on: July 31, 2010, 06:49:24 pm »

One of my major gripes with df atm is clothes,i only build a tailor/leather/tanning shop to stop dwarfs taken by a fey mood become mad.
I currently just trade in dead dwarf clothing,after a siege or similair there is too much clothing,why spend my time crafting masterpieces when i can get a load of very light very profitable clothing to sell to traders(reduce the value of clothing),it also takes my dwarfs forever to collect all the bits and pieces of clothing and causes lag.
My suggestion is to allow dwarfs to be buried in what there wearing,maybe have that clothing dissapear and become part of the dwarfs corpse.
After all why should the dwarfs be stripped naked when there killed?it isnt right.
Also a quicky,in rl mining,miners use carts and rails to transport stone quickly about maybe something can be added with this in mind.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Give dwarfs some dignity and stop the lagging.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 06:53:49 pm »

This is the basic gist of "Corpses Should Be Containers", the currently 25th-ranking suggestion on the Eternal Suggestion Voting.  In other words, it's a known problem, but Toady has had trouble fixing it, so he's been putting it off.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Jayce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 07:08:19 pm »

Maybe a simple solution of making the clothing simply destroyed and deleted might work,as it becomes part of corpse.

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 11:48:09 pm »

Maybe a simple solution of making the clothing simply destroyed and deleted might work,as it becomes part of corpse.
That would not work. It would be best to do it right when toady does it.
"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!   'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 12:16:37 pm »

Hence reason why most fortresses end up having atom-smasher with purporse of getting rid of excess stuff.

Especially now with "corpses decay to skeletons which do not decay further unless processed at slaughterhouse (and dwarves will never slaughter inteligent creature/pet corpse)" bug.

It is if course exploit, but it can made 30 fps difference.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 10:40:44 pm »

A champion wearing artifact armour gets killed.  Then suddenly, that plan makes several players very angry.  So to solve that problem, checks would have to be added into the process to make sure nothing the player would have a strong incentive to keep is destroyed.  But then come problems in defining that.  Does the player have limited availability on his site to resources that are normally common?  Not accounting for that could place unnecessary restraints on where one can effectively settle a fort.  Is it worth shoving a new sub menu into the (o)rders menu so that the player can define that himself?  Would that even work very well?  Would it make the game better, or just inadvertently place new micromanaging issues on the player?

See, something that may seem small on paper could actually end up having a relatively large and unwanted impact once it's been implemented.  The game's in alpha, so until it's actually done, there will always be problems.  Compared to other things, this is fairly low-priority.  Better to get all the core features of a thing done than to make sure every bit works perfectly it is put in - a basic principle for making many things, not just games.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 08:49:56 am »

We could make it very simple: burying a dwarf naked gives a bad thought. Burying a dwarf in average clothes (like the ones they arrived in) gives no odd thoughts, and burying one in the finest gem-encrusted silk would give a good thought: "Urist McDeadFriend has lost a friend lately. Urist McDeadFriend is glad his dead friend looked respectable before being sent back to the earth."

You could strip them of your *adamantine cloth robe* and +adamantine helm+, and arrange for them to be dressed in full pig tail cloth and a fancy leather hat. You still have reason not to strip them naked, you don't have an excess of dead dorf clothes and the silk industry gets a good use again other than making armour that should not be armour.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 09:23:28 am »

Actually, I have a quick and easy solution to the "what gets eliminated" problem you pointed out, Legolord...

Items dwarves don't own, like uniforms and weapons and tools (such as picks) are not buried with dwarves, and do not dissapear.

Items dwarves do own, like their normal clothing, which tends to get buried with dwarves, and nobody else tends to claim or wear, can dissapear.

Yeah, sure, maybe rope reed is rare in one fort, but that doesn't mean people would particularly get upset over losing that.  Even giant cave spider silk clothing seems to come on every other migrant...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 10:57:36 am »

Yeah, sure, maybe rope reed is rare in one fort, but that doesn't mean people would particularly get upset over losing that.  Even giant cave spider silk clothing seems to come on every other migrant...

Since in DF2010 goblins and dwarves have same-sized clothing, you are always going to have huge oversupply.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 10:59:29 am »

Of course immigrant clothing can't be masterpiece like fort-made GCS silk stuff can.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 11:38:09 am »

Actually, I have a quick and easy solution to the "what gets eliminated" problem you pointed out, Legolord...

Items dwarves don't own, like uniforms and weapons and tools (such as picks) are not buried with dwarves, and do not dissapear.

Items dwarves do own, like their normal clothing, which tends to get buried with dwarves, and nobody else tends to claim or wear, can dissapear.

so what whenever a soldier get's attached to his *steel sword* and then dies, the sword goes with him?  Why not just have it so items actually get damaged in combat, and then damaged again when the dwarf dies so almost all his clothing goes, and some armor/shields/weapons dissapear from being *destroyed in the fight* that way someone whos attached to a sword, but dies of old age, doesn't take the sword with him.
Nom nom nom

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 11:50:47 am »

The decision should be based upon "what would be buried with the dwarf, anyway"...

If it is something that nobody is going to be able to claim again, there's no reason to make the body drop that item, it just stays on the body as it gets buried.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 11:58:41 am »

Currently my idea is that dwarfs are burried as close as passble to the earth(or magma...) they love so much. That extra layer of clothing blocks the love of the earth (or armok's love) so it should be removed opon death.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 12:29:02 pm »

It's a matter of economy: what is the distinction between a dwarf's private items and the common items? How do they interact? The fortress leadership ought to be able to claim stuff by eminent domain, at an obvious cost in unhappiness, or if an appropriate law is in force, material compensation.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 12:31:55 pm »

Well, yes, if I could claim crap like those damn shirts that dwarves just drop in the middle of the hallways or the 800 microcline rings they drop blocking their own room's door, and never pick up or put in the containers I BUILT TO STOP THEM FROM DROPPING THEIR STUPID RINGS EVERYWHERE, that would be great...

but that's an entirely different suggestion than this.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: [1] 2