Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: So what problems are left with the current version?  (Read 1396 times)

scira

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So what problems are left with the current version?
« on: July 30, 2010, 05:45:10 pm »

So I started when 0.31.X was pretty new, downgraded to 40d and haven't paid too much attention since then. I see that many of the reasons I switched have been fixed now, but I was wondering what might be some of the things left for me to rage at in the current version? Maybe not even genuine bugs but balance tweaks that you don't agree with.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So what problems are left with the current version?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 05:58:37 pm »

Issues with the military and hospitals are mostly fixed, just some lingering problems with healthcare and military. Combat needs to be balanced a bit (technically the combat is always getting balanced), pretty much all of the crashes have been fixed, farns still need mud when underground, and thats all I can think of off the top of my head. Just about all of the major issues have been conquered.

I won't be able to tell what you'll rage at (doing the miilitary for the first time will probably be one, I haven't tackled the military stuff yet), so you'll have to check it out.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 06:01:22 pm by smjjames »

scira

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 06:10:43 pm »

I've just heard the military system is confusing, I can handle that. For the combat, I wonder mostly about if weapon types have their uses or if slashing still reigns supreme, and also if the RNG can still screw you with an enemy only weak to cave-ins.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 06:14:36 pm »

Both those issues had been fixed.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 06:20:53 pm »

Personally, the not being able to farm on dry soil is pretty annoying since I like to set up a farm in the soil layer first, but I can work around that one.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 06:44:45 pm »

No wagons -- that's still a bug that strongly affects trade.

And there seem to be a *lot* of things trying to kill you; seems you get attacked about once or twice a season.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 07:41:23 pm »

I've just heard the military system is confusing, I can handle that. For the combat, I wonder mostly about if weapon types have their uses or if slashing still reigns supreme

Unless it was changed since I last checked, blunt weapons are better against armored foes than slashing weapons now.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 10:36:22 pm »

It appears that Dwarves still aren't sleeping in their assigned beds.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2010, 12:43:40 am »

If I recall correctly, there are bugs with plaster and soap such that it would be better for the player not to use them in his fort.

Also, contaminants spread very easily and cannot easily be cleaned.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 01:15:19 am »

There are a bunch of fairly minor annoyances.  About the worst I've run into is that nobles will sometimes mandate "native gold"/"horn silver"/"Raw adamantine" items, for some reason, and you can't manufacture them. Even some bugs remaining from the 40d days, like liaison death meaning no caravans ever again, have been fixed.

On rare occasions a fort will get tagged by a human diplomat that's a demon and destroys all your constructions. The bug with underground plots needing muddying is still in. Ballista bolts glance off clothes, so not too useful.

Apart from those it's working pretty well.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010, 01:27:05 am »

If I recall correctly, there are bugs with plaster and soap such that it would be better for the player not to use them in his fort.

I just had a guy walking around in a cast so plaster bought from a caravan works fine.

I Vaguely remember hearing weird shit happens when you make it yourself, tho.

No idea about soap.

Fewah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2010, 02:15:49 am »

Most nobles still not working..

if youre lucky to get a Baron you wont get the next thing up.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2010, 04:24:14 am »

My dwarwes fail with soap and produce annoying spam, "Urist McIdiot cancels clean self, area not accessible"
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2010, 05:28:51 am »

I just had a guy walking around in a cast so plaster bought from a caravan works fine.

I Vaguely remember hearing weird shit happens when you make it yourself, tho.

No idea about soap.
There's a bug with plaster where your bone doctor will get stuck drawing water from a well to make the plaster, but if you forbid all buckets apart from one that has water in it then it works.  So you're able to work round it assuming you have some buckets of water kicking about.

Avaline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2010, 11:00:34 am »

About the soap:  So long as all of your soap is stored in the hospital then none of the dwarves will try to use it to clean.  The soap is only needed for hospital things anyway so there's no reason to have spare soap laying around.  You can Forbid any that you DO have laying around to keep the others away from it. 

Thus: make only enough soap for your hospital

About plaster: you don't really NEED it.  Doctors without plaster will just assign a crutch instead.  It'll be nice to have once it's fixed but for now you won't suffer if you don't bother (unlike soap, which prevents infections).

The rest of the bugs are mostly quirks that you can live with (i.e. dwarves sleeping on any bed they like)
Pages: [1] 2