Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Fun with one way floors: High speed triggers, automated goblin grinders and more  (Read 37159 times)

Noir

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Evil Overlord
    • View Profile

Has anyone been able to replicate this? I did it yesterday, and when my (Tame) hunting dog is pitted on the pressure plate, the (properly connected) hatches nearby stay closed, and the dog merrily walks on them.

I have:
-built the contraption according to the scheme;
-created each pressure plate making so that it is not triggered by citizens;
-set each pressure plate to the lowest minimum and highest maximum;
-attached each pressure plate to the adjacent hatches (plus one of them to the intended target.

What am I doing wrong?
Naked dwarves remove the need to produce more clothing, which means more of your pig tails can be brewed into booze.
I think this is less a problem and more an expression of dwarven priorities.

Noir

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Evil Overlord
    • View Profile

By the way, I noticed an interesting dog behaviour.

If I put the dog in the corridor and have both doors at the end marked as "Locked, non pet-passable" the dog stays still; if I change one of the doors to "Open, non-pet passable" the dog will still walk toward it, and fail to go any further as the door is still non pet-passable.

If I then lock the door again, and unlock the other one (while still making it non-pet passable) the dog will path back at it, while still failing to go through it.

Did I just discovered an even quicker instant switch/lever?
Naked dwarves remove the need to produce more clothing, which means more of your pig tails can be brewed into booze.

kirrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Has anyone been able to replicate this? I did it yesterday, and when my (Tame) hunting dog is pitted on the pressure plate, the (properly connected) hatches nearby stay closed, and the dog merrily walks on them.

I have:
-built the contraption according to the scheme;
-created each pressure plate making so that it is not triggered by citizens;
-set each pressure plate to the lowest minimum and highest maximum;
-attached each pressure plate to the adjacent hatches (plus one of them to the intended target.

What am I doing wrong?

I believe your hunting dog *is* a citizen.

Noir

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Evil Overlord
    • View Profile

I believe your hunting dog *is* a citizen.

I see... so should I put a goblin there? Oh well, I guess I will end up changing the flag of the pressure plate to trigger also with citizens.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Exactly what design are you trying to put together? Normally it would be either citizens or creatures, not both, but it might depend on your design and what it's for.

If it's your first go with the design, use a dog, they don't attack you if you make a mistake. And you'll have to destroy and rebuild the pressure plates to change them.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 12:57:23 pm by Reelyanoob »

Noir

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Evil Overlord
    • View Profile

I am trying to implement the "modified version which will have a slightly longer response time, but will be able to hold the trigger down and operate in the same manner as a lever".

I am using a (Tamed) hunting dog, and set the pressure plate to not trigger on citizens - I did not imagine the tamed dogs counted as citizens, but that looks like the only reasonable explanation.

I already know I will have to redo the plates, unluckily - oh well, could have been worse.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff

Tame animals do count as citizens, but that wasn't your only error.  Pressure plates set to be triggered by citizens will also still be triggered by non-citizens.  Setting a pressure plate to be triggered by citizens does not cause that pressure plate to no longer be triggered by goblins or other non-citizens, it just causes it to be triggered by your dwarves and tame animals in addition to being triggered by invaders.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Noir

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Evil Overlord
    • View Profile

Nothing, it still does not work. Now my dwarves trigger it, not my dogs.

Is there a way to make tamed dogs trigger a pressure plate?

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It sounds like you forgot to lower the minimum weight when you put the pressure plate in.

Noir

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Evil Overlord
    • View Profile

It sounds like you forgot to lower the minimum weight when you put the pressure plate in.

I lowered it to a minimum -___-, specifically thinking that I could incur in this problem.
All right, let me try with the heaviest of my farm animals...

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Posting to watch thread.

Noir

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Evil Overlord
    • View Profile

For those who are interested - it definitely doesn't with dogs in DF2010. It works well with captured prisoners though, which is a good use of all those caged gobbo's.

breadman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Weapon trap with a single base-quality adamantine warhammer.

After seeing a goblin dodge a single base-quality iron warhammer hundreds of times, I would recommend more than one trap.  Worse, that goblin has been dodging and blocking everything my archers and marksdwarves send its way.  It also drove the human caravan insane just by standing within sight of where they wanted to path.  At least my citizens respond to traffic designations and item forbidding.

And this was after the elf caravan got demolished by a triple ambush, because I had failed to properly channel the tile under one of the hatches.  It's been an interesting year.
Quote from: Kevin Wayne, in r.g.r.n
Is a "diety" the being pictured by one of those extremely skinny aboriginal statues?

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

this thing is even awesomer if it's an incredibly long corridor filled with crap weapons, right? that isn't just me?
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I see a lot of mention of drawbridges, and doors. I don't see any mention that doors and bridges trigger opposite. So if the bridge is closed, the door is open. And vice versa. This is a very important feature. I use it to ensure that my military can wait in it's barracks for the enemy who can get in, but will not be able to flee once in side.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6