Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [0.31.12] Genning worlds without elves or goblins... repeatedly.  (Read 987 times)

Brent Not Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, the first time I thought it was a fluke, but the only two worlds I've genned in 0.31.12 appear to have no elves or goblins in them at all. Is this typical for this version?

I did change some of the default worldgen options for "Large Region", including increasing the number of volcanoes and titans. I thought it was possible in the first world that numerous titans wiped out the puny goblins and elves completely (I had increased them from 33 to 500), but the second world had the same results after I turned the titans' numbers back down again.

I guess I can post world seeds if you guys want, but I'm really looking for a more populated world, and I'm not sure how to generate one without mass extinctions among sentients.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.12] Genning worlds without elves or goblins... repeatedly.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 02:19:15 pm »

I was running this same problem a lot a little while ago.

Increasing titan number and cave number leads to more extinctions.

Elves are most commonly extinguished, due to their unfortunate choice of weaponry.

You can try ending the world sooner- I had it run to 50 years for mine- which is the biggest thing you can do to let them survive.

If the forest regions are small, they may be coming into contact with other groups before they're ready, and getting killed that way.

Check the legends, see what happened to them, and try to remove that.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 02:49:02 pm »

I've found that allowing a civilization to inhabit a wider range of biomes solves that problem. If everyone can live anywhere, or nearly anywhere, then there are more places to settle. A civilization then cannot be trapped in a tiny forest and wiped out. It can grow into the neighboring grassland or tundra, for example.

This also means that you can get very interesting creatures from trading. A civilization can bring creatures from the biome it lives in. If you allow humans to live in arctic regions you could have them bringing caged polar bears. Or riding war polar bears!  :o

mwanafalsafa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 03:36:59 pm »

Newbie question: how do you view what civilizations exist on a new map that you've generated?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 03:49:48 pm »

Go into legends mode.

Brent Not Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 04:44:20 pm »

Newbie question: how do you view what civilizations exist on a new map that you've generated?
I was just noticing that humans and dwarves are my only neighbors on the "choose an embark location" screen. I'm not too good at deciphering Legends mode information yet.

I did forget to mention that I set worldgen stop date at 100 (I typically do; I'm just impatient); I'll try scaling it down even further and see what it gets me.

AxisofLint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 04:54:29 pm »

Okay, the first time I thought it was a fluke, but the only two worlds I've genned in 0.31.12 appear to have no elves or goblins in them at all. Is this typical for this version?

I did change some of the default worldgen options for "Large Region", including increasing the number of volcanoes and titans. I thought it was possible in the first world that numerous titans wiped out the puny goblins and elves completely (I had increased them from 33 to 500), but the second world had the same results after I turned the titans' numbers back down again.

I guess I can post world seeds if you guys want, but I'm really looking for a more populated world, and I'm not sure how to generate one without mass extinctions among sentients.

Since you're changing worldgen options for Large Region, I'm assuming you're on a large map? If I gen a small world, I almost never get goblins, and ~70% of the time, I don't get elves.

Medium or larger give me all the races ~95% of the time.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 04:55:42 pm »

I've had good luck with medium. Large or huge worlds take too long to gen, but any smaller and its just too crowded for everyone.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 07:29:20 pm »

I've found that allowing a civilization to inhabit a wider range of biomes solves that problem. If everyone can live anywhere, or nearly anywhere, then there are more places to settle. A civilization then cannot be trapped in a tiny forest and wiped out. It can grow into the neighboring grassland or tundra, for example.

This also means that you can get very interesting creatures from trading. A civilization can bring creatures from the biome it lives in. If you allow humans to live in arctic regions you could have them bringing caged polar bears. Or riding war polar bears!  :o
You got me interested. How to mod that?
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!