Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Masterpiece engravings should appear on the artifacts screen  (Read 2002 times)

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because, you know, masterpiece. I'd like to know what's on the engraving without having to look through my 200+ other engravings of cheese and dorfs and tables, spread throughout my fort.

cameron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Masterpiece engravings should appear on the artifacts screen
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 11:13:36 am »

cept then when every second engraving is masterpiece you cant find any artifacts

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 11:15:20 am »

Why should masterpiece engravings appear on the artifacts screen? They aren't artifacts. If anything, they should be on another screen altogether.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 11:15:33 am »

Also, just because a work is masterpiece doesn't mean it ISN'T about cheese.  Engraving subjects are randomized the same if they are masterpiece or exceptional, so it wouldn't even help you find the ones you were looking for, anyway.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 11:19:12 am »

Curses! foiled again!
But in all seriousness, I would really appreciate a function that would let me know where my masterpiece work is. So I can avoid doing silly things to it such as pouring magma down a hallway full of not exactly good engravings of elephants and cheese and dorfs and puppies being speared to death.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 02:34:52 pm »

Masterpieces aren't artifacts.   Artifacts represent more than 'a very high quality'.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 02:38:44 pm »

It's true that masterwork is different than artifact, but... Does the engraver get all sad if you accidentally mine their masterwork engravings? If so, then I suppose you ought to be able to tell where those walls are better.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 02:52:16 pm »

It's true that masterwork is different than artifact, but... Does the engraver get all sad if you accidentally mine their masterwork engravings? If so, then I suppose you ought to be able to tell where those walls are better.

It's much easier to tell whether masterworks are where you are about to start mining by looking at the map with the 'k' button than it is by opening up a list that does not show where in the fort they are, and having to manually go through hundreds of them with the "zoom to item" button.  And the 'k' button can quite easily tell you if there are masterwork engravings in the area.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 03:07:07 pm »

It's much easier to tell whether masterworks are where you are about to start mining by looking at the map with the 'k' button than it is by opening up a list that does not show where in the fort they are, and having to manually go through hundreds of them with the "zoom to item" button.  And the 'k' button can quite easily tell you if there are masterwork engravings in the area.
True. I suppose it's usually making new hallways when you find yourself needing to clear out potentially engraved walls, which means around 2-8 tiles that need to go... Not too overbearing to check out.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Deteramot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 05:00:55 pm »

I, personally, don't engrave until I'm certain I'm done expanding. That way, I don't have to worry about defacing some poor legendary dwarf's greatest work.
I'm currently making a nice room for my legendary clerk. I always treat my legendaries with the greatest respect, giving them the best rooms and so on. Although the walls are mostly engraved with pictures of my miner starving to death after he fell down a well, so it's not too cheerful.

mLegion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 01:19:36 pm »

Destroying masterpiece engravings isn't that big deal, the amount of -happiness a dorf gets for a destroyed masterpiece becomes less the more masterpiece they have and at level 15+ engravers tend to produce them every 2nd or 3rd engraving making the penalty rather small.

Also, if i activate my engraver as a miner and have him mine out that wall destroying his own masterpiece does that change the effect in any way? eg. less happiness decrease or such.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 03:16:43 pm »

Why should masterpiece engravings appear on the artifacts screen? They aren't artifacts. If anything, they should be on another screen altogether.

I think this is a better idea.  I'd like to have some idea what masterpieces my dwarves are making or have made recently.  I don't need a complete list, but the last few would be nice.

You could even do that by changing the message that occurs when a dwarf makes a masterpiece to something like "Urist has just created a masterpiece microline statue!" instead of the message we get now that gives so little information.  For engravings, maybe that message could give coordinates?  I'm sure that the game must use some kind of (x, y, z) coordinates, so it would be nice to show those somewhere and then the message could give you the coordinates of the masterpiece engraving.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

mLegion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 04:23:10 pm »

The best solution to this 'problem' would seem to be something akin to the option to show engravings, but showing an icon indicating the quality level instead, this would also make designating rooms during the economy much easier when you can see that <random area here> has 5 masterpieces in it and your dwarves wont be able to afford it.

Zalminen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 03:53:32 am »

The best solution to this 'problem' would seem to be something akin to the option to show engravings, but showing an icon indicating the quality level instead, this would also make designating rooms during the economy much easier when you can see that <random area here> has 5 masterpieces in it and your dwarves wont be able to afford it.
This.

(Although it would be even nicer to get such a 'Quality overlay' directly for rooms so that different level rooms would be shown in different colors...)
"And if you look down in the boiler chamber, you'll see that our hot spring is powered by an ancient, unholy, cramped and extremely pissed forgotten beast."