Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Propaganda and Public Service Announcements  (Read 839 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Propaganda and Public Service Announcements
« on: July 24, 2010, 02:09:29 pm »

I've been reading through the devlog, and one thing that caught my eye was a note about moderately bleeding dwarves no longer unnecessarily going to the hospital. Wouldn't it make sense to be able to modify that sort of behavior?

Now, I'm assuming that a lot of this is affected by straight numerical values, such as personality traits. In effect this would let you modify those.

In an action that would make more sense than a "dwarves go to hospital" option in the orders menu, perhaps you could post signs and posters?

Each poster would give a dwarf a thought, of sorts. For example, if you have a good hospital and the resources to run it, a "Go to the hospital!" poster would bias them towards taking advantage of it.

On that concept, we can pretty much establish a list of things to be able to put on signs:
Use your hospital! and Tend your own wounds!
Try swimming! and Stay out of the water!
Be Courageous! / Be Careful!
Be Happy! / Hate Yourself!
Eat Well! / Conserve Food!
Adopt a pet! / Do not feed the animals!
Party Hard! / Work Hard!
Make lots of friends! / Don't get attached to comrades!
Have kids! / Wear a beard net!
Stay Inside! / Get some sun!

So on, so forth. I think a complete list shouldn't be ridiculously long of course. Thoughts? Care to add? And yes, people WOULD use the "Hate Yourself!" poster.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Propaganda and Public Service Announcements
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 02:40:07 pm »

Impractical, silly, and a little disturbing in the totalitarian-1984 sense.

On the other hand, organizing an unfortunate accident by hanging a lot of negative posters in a noble's bedroom is awesome. (Especially if one of them is "Try swimming")

How about the "Hate yourself!" poster, I just love the idea of having your fortress covered in "What? Wanna cry? GO HOME AND LISTEN TO LINKIN PARK, EMO KID!"
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 03:35:10 pm »

Impractical, silly, and a little disturbing in the totalitarian-1984 sense.

Check, check, and check. Perfect for Dwarf Fortress!
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 02:12:43 am »

How, pray tell, is this totalitarian? How is it any different from billboards advising you to save water, or try not to burn down the forest, etc?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

billw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 04:36:05 am »

Probably referring to the "Have kids" and "Don't get attached to comrades!" parts.