Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 34

Author Topic: Let's Play Pokemon Emerald!  (Read 56910 times)

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Pokemon Emerald!
« Reply #420 on: August 22, 2010, 09:07:39 am »

The pictures have been fixed!

United Forenia Forever!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: August 22, 2010, 09:15:24 am »

Did you notice that all the electric gym leaders have military clothing? Lt. Surge is a U.S. Army member, Wattson has an aviator jacket, and volkner has a captain's jacket?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: August 22, 2010, 09:59:11 am »

which one is in pearl?
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: August 22, 2010, 10:57:52 am »

Volkner

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: August 22, 2010, 12:38:27 pm »

Did you notice that all the electric gym leaders have military clothing? Lt. Surge is a U.S. Army member, Wattson has an aviator jacket, and volkner has a captain's jacket?

Dude, dude, thought:

Before the Pokemon games, Sinnoh Kanto Hoenn and Johto were part of a World War, where instead of weaponry they used Pokemon to kill and destroy. The devastation was so great, that peace was made solely to stop the violence. Of course, there was the matter of what to do with the Pokemon. They brought in a team of scientists, led by Oak, his young student Elm, Birch, and Rowan, who pioneered the first Pokeballs.

They also put forward the idea of a Pokemon League, to settle any future conflicts as a tournament. Young trainers would learn to fight alongside their Pokemon, tested along the way by Gym Leaders, veterans of the Pokemon War, eventually earning the right to become the Champion of their Region. Should war ever loom on the horizon, instead of armed conflict each region calls upon their Champion to do battle with the others, to prove dominance once and for all.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: August 22, 2010, 01:19:31 pm »

That would actually work surprisingly well. Given how much better than anyone else the player becomes, he could easily crush an entire army on his own. Just having the champs fight would save a whole lot of time, simply because grunts wouldn't effect the course of the war at all.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: August 22, 2010, 04:54:36 pm »

So you're saying it's like G-Gundam, except less kickass?

Anyway, that doesn't work for only one reason. Kurt proves that Pokeballs have been around since long before Oak came around; it's just they haven't been mass-produced until Silph Co perfected their manufacturing technologies (and, voltorb and electrode, apparently). However, apricots have been around presumably for as long as Pokemon and humans have been interacting. Without the bit about Pokeballs, it's fine.

In such a situation, I predict that Pokemon like Gyarados would have long since been wiped out. They're equivalent to nukes. Whole cities in a day? Fuck that.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: August 22, 2010, 05:23:33 pm »

tehy indeed would, but theyre supposed to be rare. It would imply the weakest fish to be able to beat an huge amount of its predator or an untol amount of it,s peer.

Also a reason why everybody was shitting their pants when they get them to evolve forcibly in silver/gold.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 05:27:41 pm by Mysteriousbluepuppet »

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: August 22, 2010, 05:26:03 pm »

Well, Gyarados probably were wiped out. But whatever region first possessed Gyarados would have kept them a secret by keeping around the seemingly useless Magikarp. In a time of crisis, all those Magikarp could become Gyarados and destroy everything.

As for the Pokeball thing, maybe apricots were how the Pokemon for the war were trained, but the Pokeballs were theorized by Oak and Co. as an alternative, then built by Silph?
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: August 22, 2010, 05:44:54 pm »

Seems likely. Either on Magikarp's Pokedex file, or on the TCG card, I forget which, it says that Magikarp used to be über-powerful, but somehow devolved into it's comically useless form. It would seem possible that they did try to wipe out the Gyarados, and in order for the species to survive, they genetically weakened themselves into something too weak to bother with, reinforced by, in the anime, Misty mentions, when Team Rocket and Ash and Co. are stranded at sea, starving, that Magikarp were even inedible, meaning that they wouldn't even be wiped out by predators or over-fishing. (incidentally, in that same episode, Misty had a perfectly edible-looking Goldeen)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: August 23, 2010, 02:52:26 am »

You probably won't have the Fortree gym battle for two or so updates, but man. I've been doing no-starter no-money (and one healing item per match) playthroughs of Blue, Crystal, and now Emerald, and Winona's the first trainer to have beaten me. Hell, that was the first time I've lost an against-the-computer battle that I can actually remember (well, maybe once to Gary in Silph Co back when Blue came out, that motherfucker). I could take out everyone but the Altaria >:O Stupid thing had Dragonbreath, Aerial Ace, and Earthquake. Not cool bro! I had to beat her by switching out my pokemon every turn so her massive super-effective attacks hit the wrong guy for resistant damage, back and forth until she ran out of PP. A cheap tactic, but good god. A flying type with Earthquake.

Anyhow going to post my team again because I feel like it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: August 23, 2010, 04:36:28 am »

Or you know.... Ice Beam. That wrecks the shit of Altaria.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: August 23, 2010, 04:45:27 am »

Or you know.... Ice Beam. That wrecks the shit of Altaria.

Swalot had Ice Beam (used for gyms, not for travelling b/c surf, so not pictured). Couldn't use it, though. Aerial Ace has +1 priority. It had pretty boss speed already, though, plus it used Dragon Dance to speed up a few times. Only Breloom and Manectric could act before it, and neither could do much damage before they got taken out with a super-effective move.

Stupid gym leaders :|

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: August 23, 2010, 05:04:04 am »

Oh yeah, man, Altaria is one of the most hord core dragon types in Emerald. Actually, most of the dragon types are, and always have been, but still. Anyway, most of the Super pokemon tend to have a double weakness (Dragonite - Ice, Tyranitar - Fighting, Salamence - Also Ice [if I remember correctly]) so an Ice beam should have dealt enough for you to deal with her Altaria. Rapid switching works, I guess?
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: August 23, 2010, 05:10:40 am »

I feel like playing Pokemon, but then whenever I start to play it I remember how boring it gets once you've beaten all of the gyms and the elite four.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 34