Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: So I caught a Skeletal Giant Eagle...  (Read 2989 times)

xtank5

• Bay Watcher
  • [STEM_CELL_TRANSPLANT]
    • View Profile
Re: So I caught a Skeletal Giant Eagle...
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 11:08:54 pm »

I wonder... Can chained creatures still fly or move in z-levels too? Because a flyer that attacks from one z-level above ground should be pretty well safe from melee weapons.

What I'm suggesting is basically putting it chained in a "nest" a few levels above your entrance, from where it swoops down on any attackers while being relatively safe itself.

The wiki says 3x3x3 area of movement, so I imagine it could move up and down if a flier. I do like the idea of being able to seal up my fort and let loose a undead monster on them, though I'd have to figure out how to seal it away from my dwarves, make it so they don't run off scared, but also be able to open up the nest and let it be able to move close enough to the attackers.

You could have your regular entrance to your fortress and then just above it is a 4 tile wide HALLWAY OF DOOM with your two Skeletal Eagles chained to each side of the hall.  Then you have floodgates attached to a lever which seal off your main entrance, and then more floodgates open a path through the HwyOD to your fortress, that leads the gobbos to their deaths.
IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM
Can't get enough Bolo.

ZaDoktor

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarves and Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2010, 11:22:11 pm »

Can skeletal animals breed?

I don't think so (I hope not), and the 2 I have are female.

You could have your regular entrance to your fortress and then just above it is a 4 tile wide HALLWAY OF DOOM with your two Skeletal Eagles chained to each side of the hall.  Then you have floodgates attached to a lever which seal off your main entrance, and then more floodgates open a path through the HwyOD to your fortress, that leads the gobbos to their deaths.

I can only imagine the confusion and hilarity.

Goblin 1: Argh! They sealed up their main gate!
Goblin 2: I think there's a way inside up here!
*walk into HoD*
Goblin cancels Siege: Interrupted by Skeletal Giant Eagles

Edit: A SGE showed up right after the 2nd one was caged, and killed my Armorsmith! :'( (by biting his head right off!)

CURSE YOU UNDEAD MONSTERS! CURSE MY OWN HUBRIS!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 11:25:34 pm by ZaDoktor »

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2010, 11:27:18 pm »

Release it far, far underground, under the magma sea.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2010, 11:32:24 pm »

Delete its exotic tag and tame it!

ZaDoktor

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarves and Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2010, 11:36:30 pm »

Delete its exotic tag and tame it!

I already ran NoExotics, but i don't believe it shows up at the kennel list for tame large animal.

I think Undead are just not tame-able.

Of course, maybe some raw editing would fix that, but I'm not sure I would really want to do that. Might have some unforeseen consequences.

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2010, 11:42:25 pm »

Might have some unforeseen consequences.
And? 

You never know until you try it out!

That guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2010, 01:37:25 am »

Giant bronze axe blades mounted in weapon traps are pretty effective against giant cave swallows. Mine are mounted in tunnels so nothing can fly up.

Dbuhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2010, 02:10:22 am »

Make a drowning chamber :D

TaintedMustard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2010, 04:29:49 am »

Build a giant, multiple z-level glass and steel aviary, then release the eagle into it. Make sure it's in the middle of a meeting hall. Create a pit zone at the top of the cage over a several-tile-wide, 3-z-level high tube sealed by two sets of hatches, one at the Z-level where your dwarves will toss creatures, the other at the bottom over the aviary proper. Open the first hatch, pit some gobbos, close the first hatch, then open the second hatch. Make sure they have a multi-level stone pillar, complete with stairs or ramps, to land on so they don't die on impact and so they can try to run away. Watch(/imagine) as your idle dwarves squeal with delight as the skeletal eagle rips the hapless gobbos to pieces and tosses bloody goblin chunks all over the cage.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2010, 05:38:41 am »

Also, watch out; undead are building destroyers, so you'll need constructions etc to pin them in place.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

TaintedMustard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2010, 06:34:44 am »

Also, watch out; undead are building destroyers, so you'll need constructions etc to pin them in place.

Pretty sure metal doors and hatches will keep them out.

Expurgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2010, 06:49:25 am »

Build a giant, multiple z-level glass and steel aviary, then release the eagle into it. Make sure it's in the middle of a meeting hall. Create a pit zone at the top of the cage over a several-tile-wide, 3-z-level high tube sealed by two sets of hatches, one at the Z-level where your dwarves will toss creatures, the other at the bottom over the aviary proper. Open the first hatch, pit some gobbos, close the first hatch, then open the second hatch. Make sure they have a multi-level stone pillar, complete with stairs or ramps, to land on so they don't die on impact and so they can try to run away. Watch(/imagine) as your idle dwarves squeal with delight as the skeletal eagle rips the hapless gobbos to pieces and tosses bloody goblin chunks all over the cage.

I have something similar and awesome in my current fortress.  Make a solid gold dining room, in which one wall is constructed of glass blocks.  Here is how the prisoner insert system works

.......................X
.......................X (Z-0) Open ground tiles, with glass wall to the north and stone walls to all other sides.
.......................X

---------------XX
---------------XG (Z+1) Overhanging container with a floor grate at the bottom.
---------------XX

---------------XX
---------------XP (Z+2) Second level of overhang, P denotes a pit accessible from the right hallway, covered by a grate controlled separately from the Z+1 grate.  You build a gobbo cage right next to
---------------XX  the pit, order the goblin pitted, close the upper gate, and open the lower gate to drop them into the killing grounds.  For me, its a breeding pair of Giant Cave Swallows (would have preferred bats but couldn't catch any)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2010, 06:58:26 am »

Make a trade depo right outside your main entrance. Chain the eagle to the top of said entrance, and then negotiate with the elves as they have to watch a gigantic flying skelleton thrash at them throught the entire trade, only saved from being torn apart by your chains. Although, they might try to attack it, so consider caging it instead.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Black Bellamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2010, 09:38:47 am »

I would just put it in a zoo.

TaintedMustard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2010, 10:10:38 am »

Pages: 1 [2] 3