Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Man, what?  (Read 1193 times)

Strangething

• Bay Watcher
  • Slizardman
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Man, what?
« on: July 21, 2010, 09:37:48 pm »

"Our colleagues at the BBC agree: this may be the biggest story of the century."

http://supertrender.com/7422-dwarf-fortress

This popped up in my google alert. It's like some sort of random fake-news generator. Either this is a dada art project, or a moronic scheme to load up their site with random search terms.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Man, what?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 09:44:38 pm »

Looks random to me. I couldn't get it to generate anything else, though.

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 09:49:23 pm »

Yeah, that's weird.  It looks like a mad-lib, but my crude fiddling with the URL didn't get me anything.  I'm guessing they're using some kind of procedural headline generator to draw search traffic and get hits in order to generate ad revenue.

On the topic of ad revenue, I see a disproportionate number of ads for EvE Online all over the internet.  As a long-time EvE player, I tend to suspect that it's weighted for me, but I'm always curious to see if anyone else sees it a lot.
I brake for stumble bumblings

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 10:22:34 pm »

-
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 01:40:20 am by freeformschooler »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 11:02:37 pm »

Yeah, that's weird.  It looks like a mad-lib, but my crude fiddling with the URL didn't get me anything.  I'm guessing they're using some kind of procedural headline generator to draw search traffic and get hits in order to generate ad revenue.

On the topic of ad revenue, I see a disproportionate number of ads for EvE Online all over the internet.  As a long-time EvE player, I tend to suspect that it's weighted for me, but I'm always curious to see if anyone else sees it a lot.
I turn ads off on my main computer, but when I use my other one, I see EvE ads fairly often. The amount's not astronomical, though.

gislegron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 12:44:34 am »

I get the eve-online ad's all the time myself.
Long-time eve player.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 12:52:01 am »

I get Eve ads all the time too, and I've only played it once, years ago, on a different machine no less.

For me it's evony. That blasted game I've never played but comes up everywhere with ads showing NOTHING BUT ADEQUATELY REVEALED FEMALE PARTS and some sort of logo that supposedly leads you into a crummy RTS game if you click it. Internet advertising is strange.

I know. It's terrible. Might I lead you to read this?
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 01:00:40 am »

If there's anything I hate in life, it's dadaists. I agree with the OP. Those dadaist idiots are behind this.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 02:34:33 am »

From the bottom of the page: © 2010 SUPERTRENDER. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. NONE OF THIS IS REAL. DON'T TAKE IT SERIOUSLY.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 08:02:43 am »

"Breaking News and Celebrity Gossip.   All You Base Are Belong to US Weekly."
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 08:36:33 am »

Just click to the front page, crap, utter crap generator.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Arkose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 08:15:53 pm »

I don't know about you guys, but I would personally love a website that would take your exported legends XML data and turns it into celebrity gossip about what your dwarves have been doing.

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 09:10:38 pm »

That would be cool.  Even cooler if the game could do it for you, parsing out legends and detecting strains of epic so they can be engraved as a narrative onto our pig iron beds that menace with spikes of silk.
I brake for stumble bumblings

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 09:22:21 pm »

Or even better, an Epic Skald Generator: "The ballad of Urist McRandom"