Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hungry Patrols  (Read 654 times)

Bronzebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hungry Patrols
« on: July 19, 2010, 12:47:13 pm »

I have a squad stationed out in the woodlands to overwatch road construction. Despite the fact that they have ample food and booze on them, they never consume any and, naturally, always get hungry and thirsty. I wondered why this was until I noticed a dwarf wandering over with a plump helmet, with the "Give Food" task. Sure enough, he approached one of the soldiers relieved their hunger, and left.

I wasn't aware civilians actively bring provisions to needy squads out in the field. If they do, it might explain why soldiers aren't so quick to diminish their own supplies, which they may need in times when civilians can't reach them, such as during battle. Anyone seen this before?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Hungry Patrols
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 12:59:32 pm »

I have heard of thirsty dwarves being brought water while they were working or even while asleep.  It's an interesting and possibly unintentional feature in the new release.  Not sure why dwarves on station don't seem to be eating or drinking from the food and booze they're supposed to be carrying.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 02:16:22 pm »

As far as other dwarves bringing food and water, maybe it's mishandling the Feed Prisoners/Wounded task and applying it to dwarves who want to eat but can't. That'd include dwarves on patrol and dwarves engaged in a task they want to finish first.

There are still quite a few problems with equipment handling that I assume covers waterskins and backpacks. I had one dwarf who would always go to training assignments carrying the barrel that he was drinking from. Then he would return the barrel to the stockpile (after reaching the barracks) at which point the training session dwarf would take a break, and the first dwarf would decide to start drinking again. At this point I don't trust squads to do anything now except attack targets when ordered.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Aravin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 02:43:59 pm »

I have a squad stationed out in the woodlands to overwatch road construction. Despite the fact that they have ample food and booze on them, they never consume any and, naturally, always get hungry and thirsty. I wondered why this was until I noticed a dwarf wandering over with a plump helmet, with the "Give Food" task. Sure enough, he approached one of the soldiers relieved their hunger, and left.

I wasn't aware civilians actively bring provisions to needy squads out in the field. If they do, it might explain why soldiers aren't so quick to diminish their own supplies, which they may need in times when civilians can't reach them, such as during battle. Anyone seen this before?

Nope. It's wrong. Every dwarf with labor Feed Prisoners enabled will go and feed/give water to dwarves that a busy with some job and can't eat or drink. It doesn't matter - military or not. Recently, Toady lowered the requirements for this job (due to issue, when all dwarves ignored dying from dehydration and hunger patients), so now dwarves feed and give water even if the target is already drinking or eating.

And about military backpack and flask. They do drink and eat when they are NOT on duty. Like - ind. combat drill. Stationing, fighting, combat training counts as duty and dwarves don't use their flasks or backpacks.

Bronzebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 02:47:19 pm »

They do drink and eat when they are NOT on duty. Like - ind. combat drill. Stationing, fighting, combat training counts as duty and dwarves don't use their flasks or backpacks.

That seems extremely backward. They'd need extra food and drink when they're on duty more than at any other time.

Aravin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 03:06:51 pm »

They do drink and eat when they are NOT on duty. Like - ind. combat drill. Stationing, fighting, combat training counts as duty and dwarves don't use their flasks or backpacks.

That seems extremely backward. They'd need extra food and drink when they're on duty more than at any other time.

Well let's hope that Toady will fix it. I am sure about it - cause i sent some guys from squad to station near entrance for 5 days and they clearly wanted to drink. And they had flasks full of booze. They didn't drink. As soon as i canceled stationing they pulled out flasks and quickly drank their booze (the flashing blue arrow dissappeared).