Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What to do with my entrance?  (Read 3829 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What to do with my entrance?
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2010, 05:18:39 am »

The entrance to my fortress is guarded by a fortress which houses another fortress which houses my barracks.

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2010, 06:23:07 am »

My entrance is simply a grand hall with some pillars (some pillars acting as tubes leading to my barracks). I use it as a killing zone for when goblins arrive, it's where they meet my military. That way my dwarves won't have to suffer from cave adaptation (even though I'm training them with open roofs, so they don't get it in the first place), and I don't feel like making a massive outside fortress is very dwarven. My fortress has a few small protrusions above-ground, maybe a few built statues and a single tower, but the actual fortress is below ground, where it belongs. As are the defences.

doctorspoof

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2010, 01:35:24 pm »

You should definetly carve your entrance tunnel to look like a giant mouth coming out of the ground
The best way to avoid tantrum spirals is to make sure no-one lives long enough to make any friends.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2010, 03:17:48 pm »

My entrance always has 3 bridges, and one long and curvy side tunnel filled with weapon traps (each one armed with 1 of each of the 5 types of trap weapons). 3 chains are put across the main (3 tile wide) main entrance, between the 2nd and 3rd raising draw bridges. Middle dog is hunting, other two are war dogs. Set up so they guard the exit to the side tunnel and any thieves moving past will be seen. The first draw bridge closes off EVERYTHING for emergencies. 2nd pair of bridges are linked to each other so that they close at the same time, creating a small room with the guard dogs. Only way into this room is the twisty-1-tile-wide-passage of certain doom and dismemberment. Military cleans up the remains of anyone who kills the dogs :P
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Halykan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2010, 08:46:18 pm »

Magma waterfall defense mechanism.  Also, make the floor out of bars of coke and see if you can get the floor tiles to ignite (It's possible, and I've done it before, I think it has to do with being under/next to something that's !!burning!!).  Then try to figure out what to do with an entrance that's permanently on fire.

If the only entrance into your fortress is through the flaming floor tiles, would sieges still path through them? I'm guessing they would. To be honest, I've never had a lot of fire in my fortress - is it effective against goblins or are they made of asbestos like dwarf beards?
If you don't remember whether the lever will collapse half the fortress, flood it with magma, flood it with water, flood it with water THEN magma, or kill the invaders, you pull it and hope you take the god damned goblins down with you
clicky

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2010, 09:07:09 pm »

First comes a trapped and double-drawbridge-secured entrance tunnel.
Then the trade depot, so the traders die first if ever an enemy should penetrate the first line of defense.
Then the barracks, and the trading goods (crafts) stockpiles.

And after all that, corridors and staircases branching off into the rest of the sprawling, disorderly fortress.

Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!
Pages: 1 [2]