Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Megaproject (31.10): Orbital Defense Network  (Read 47227 times)

Terisuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Megaproject (31.10): Orbital Defense Network
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2010, 06:10:58 am »

Yeah, I haven't actually made mechanisms since I started building the project - although I might have to put in more, seeing as I'm using 3 levers and 5 linkages per station for a total of 13 mechanisms that mostly need to be magmasafe.  I have a separate stockpile set up in one of my quarries just for the mechanisms, and it's probably about half and half safe and unsafe at this point, just because I didn't remember to temporarily ban the unsafe varieties. 

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2010, 08:27:03 pm »

Epic construction project, cant wait to see it in action :)

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2010, 09:32:17 pm »

As a Command and Conquer junkie I must say I approve of this megaproject and hope it works.  If it does it'll be truly epic dwarfiness.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2010, 10:52:28 pm »

Did this back in 40d, don't have the save any more unfortunately.

Anyway, yours looks WAY the hell more efficient than mine was, it covered the full map in a grid so the whole thing had to be filled from a single magma pipe, took for freaking ever, and I had to carefully fill it up section by section to avoid anything from hardening.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

lordofhyphens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2010, 06:35:46 pm »

Yea. TPTB blessed us with other magmaproof stone.
TPTB= The Powers That Be. It's a habit I've from KoL

Could also use steel if it's available :D
"Extinction is not an option."

Terisuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2010, 09:32:02 pm »

Steel actually isn't available, my map has no flux.  Besides, it's sort of pointless now that I have adamantine (and lots of it) for weaponry, and in everything that adamantine isn't better for than steel, iron serves equally.

I've had to let my construction slide a bit, since I've been sort of slammed at work.  I've got five more reservoirs coming up, should be done after my next normal build session.  By way of making up for the silence, I'm going to post some pics that accumulated.

First off, here's my fortress plan.  The grid for the network shown here would extend all of the way across the map in x-tiles, but there's still some space up top it wouldn't cover. 
It's jiggered so that the longest route to any extreme from the source is 12 pipes or so, which is pretty doable based on what I've seen from the close-in fill action. 

Secondly, and worth a mention for the fun factor, is that I had a goblin snatcher try to snatchinate one of my precious dwarf kids.  Instead of dispatching my embarrassingly effective squad of swordsdwarves, I elected to perform a small science experiment.  I imagine it played out something like this:

On a more serious, sciencey note - Magma dropped from the reservoir has some very interesting behavior.  Any benefits I accrue from the pressurized pipes disappear immediately as it falls to the ground.  The spread speed is very slow, as you might expect, and the form the magma pool takes after the initial settling is over is a DOME of magma, 15-20 tiles in diameter.  When I say dome, I mean the magma actually supports more magma a z-level above the drop point in a fairly stable configuration.  When the drop is not far along, the magma briefly stays at yet another z-level above ground.  The net effect is something akin to the topography of a sunny-side-up egg, with a large flat disc surrounding a bulbous lump of magma in the middle of the drop point. 

From this I conclude that there are only two effective ways to use this trap system as it stands - one, to center the enemies at the drop point.  This will encase them in magma and offer the sweet spectacle of both drowning and burning at the same time.  This, incidentally, is how the test went. 

Two, multiple gates surrounding the enemy are opened, surrounding them in a gradually widening flood of magma that traps them in the center, eventually closing in to immolate them.  This I haven't tried, but I'd anticipate pressure issues after about 20 seconds of flow.  The rate of replenishment is not very high if we're talking about constant flow rate, and especially near to the source pump there's not a lot of magma in the tubes to draw on.  Farther away, this might work better. 

The bonus third option is one that I'm researching right now.  I'm constructing a 46-pump water elevator to fill an auxiliary network of reservoirs from the brook, adding a cave-in-gun functionality to the reservoirs.  The brook is rather far away from existing construction, and the elevator is a lot of work, but I've got the initial 10-waterwheel pumping station constructed and active.  I sketched out a design for the water dispensing mechanism utilizing bridges to avoid having obsidian "kidney stones" (thank you, dwarves in dwarves megaproject) form and block the pipes.  I'll post it once I've constructed an example.  If anyone has bothered to figure out how to stop caveins from pause-recentering, I'd appreciate the procedure. 

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2010, 09:43:18 pm »

"DOMAIN this is Advanced Scout, we have confirmation on the goblins in hex C-4, confirm request for bombardment."

"Roger Advanced Scout, request granted.  Filling basin C-4, preparing to bombard.  Magma away!"

Terisuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2010, 09:46:05 pm »

"DOMAIN this is Advanced Scout, we have confirmation on the goblins in hex C-4, confirm request for bombardment."

"Roger Advanced Scout, request granted.  Filling basin C-4, preparing to bombard.  Magma away!"
Well, it's problematic because the magma is so high up it takes about 20 movements to fall to the ground.  Bait animals are essential. 

So, add in:

"DOMAIN Fire Control, Cat 342 reports stabbity death.  Release reservoirs!"

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2010, 10:02:05 pm »

To prevent the cave in notifications, you should be able to adjust the announcements.txt file (in data/init).

To quote the wiki

Controlling which announcements pause and recenter

You can control which types of announcements do and don't pause and/or recenter the game by editing the announcements.txt file, found at Dwarf Fortress/data/init/announcements.txt. An announcement type containing P will pause when that announcement type is made, and one containing R will re-center when that announcement type is made. For example,

[MIGRANT_ARRIVAL:A_D:D_D:P:R]

means that the game will pause and recenter upon the announcement of migrants arriving. You could change it to

[MIGRANT_ARRIVAL:A_D:D_D:R]

to cause the game to recenter on the arriving migrants, but to not pause the game.

Source: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Announcements#ixzz0uZ5mA7sj

Also, I just learnt the wiki auto adds a reference link when you copy. That is awesome.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Terisuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2010, 10:05:05 pm »

Cool, that's exactly what I wanted.  If I eventually make a functioning obsidian KE projectile gun, pause-on-cavein would be a pain.

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2010, 10:08:45 pm »

Well, it's problematic because the magma is so high up it takes about 20 movements to fall to the ground.  Bait animals are essential. 

So, add in:

"DOMAIN Fire Control, Cat 342 reports stabbity death.  Release reservoirs!"

I'm also kinda imagining something like the Ion Cannon from Command and Conquer 3.  Seven beams rotating in concentric rings until the all coalesce in the center before the final, large beam is released.  It can't happen, but maybe release the reservoirs around the epicenter first before releasing the epicenter?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSiNflPkSgE good example of the ion cannon.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2010, 10:13:30 pm »

I believe you should wall in any square the design can't blast quickly. (read: build walls on every square) But build magmaproof doors to allow passage.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2010, 10:15:35 pm »

I believe you should wall in any square the design can't blast quickly. (read: build walls on every square) But build magmaproof doors to allow passage.
Or, just build a labyrinth with an open ceiling, so that as they desperately try to invade they find magma filling the tunnels more and more.

I guess it's lava, at this point, but whatever.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Terisuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2010, 10:48:38 pm »

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/8908/blahs.png

I stitched together a dirty stonesense pic of the mechanism so far.  Somehow I think it looks more impressive in ascii.  The oval in the center is my raised statue garden, for sun acclimation.  It stands on a pillar 3x3xlots up from the center of my entrance. 

What you're seeing on top is the work scaffold/wind farm that tops off the tunnels.  Everything except for the extreme edges is full of magma. 

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2010, 01:22:12 am »

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/8908/blahs.png

I stitched together a dirty stonesense pic of the mechanism so far.  Somehow I think it looks more impressive in ascii.  The oval in the center is my raised statue garden, for sun acclimation.  It stands on a pillar 3x3xlots up from the center of my entrance. 

What you're seeing on top is the work scaffold/wind farm that tops off the tunnels.  Everything except for the extreme edges is full of magma.
You seem to be having some problems with twitter.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7