Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Please No Fighting but: Goblin Camp 0.1 is out  (Read 12569 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Please No Fighting but: Goblin Camp 0.1 is out
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2010, 06:00:40 am »

WOW! I just discovered this game. This game has huge potential. Open source, and as I see the development of the game is quite fast. Good luck with the development, I will keep an eye on this.

*edit* wow, we gonna have zooming in the next version + weapons already? + tilesets? Btw: text and the other in-game objects should be separated, so that way you can make gfx for everything without having weird text problems.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 06:03:03 am by Tormy »

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2010, 10:34:46 am »

he could at least choose less-irritating name for it, unrelated to DF
Goblins have been in fantasy longer than DF.  Even if he would have called it Goblin Town or Goblin Nobblin' you still would have complained.  Would you have preferred he used gnomes or something?  Then I think you might complain that he picked a short race of intuitive creatures because dwarfs are short and intuitive.  Can't use elves, monkeys, humans, spiders, birds, cats, dogs, horses... those are all used by DF(!)

GAHAHA

Sorry. It's just that, if this game were called "Goblin Nobblin' ", I'd play it regardless of its merits. As it is, I'm leery of this right now, because... well, I'm not really into micromanagement (mostly playing DF Adventurer mode, for example), but this looks like a streamlined city-builder, which happens to have Goblins. So it could be cool to get into once it's in a mostly complete state.

(Nobblin')
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2010, 02:09:00 pm »

WOW! I just discovered this game. This game has huge potential. Open source, and as I see the development of the game is quite fast. Good luck with the development, I will keep an eye on this.

*edit* wow, we gonna have zooming in the next version + weapons already? + tilesets? Btw: text and the other in-game objects should be separated, so that way you can make gfx for everything without having weird text problems.

Yep, that's all true and here's a video (zooming aspect). It also seems that there may be a little more than half a dozen people already working on this entire project. The modifying aspect seems to be a little more easier than DF raws. I've already seen a whole bunch of simple mods for this first version. Course, the game isn't near the complexity of DF. The combat system seems to rely on the whole d(x)(y) dice rules and no z axis, ever.

The original author seems to have a day job so that explains part of the reason for open source. After going through a few topics, he has stated that no, this is not going to be a DF clone. Though this being open source, there are sentiments that some people want this game to be DF but "without the worst parts." Yesh, that last part certainly doesn't give any hint of animosity; it's really hard for me to believe that some people really seem to hate DF. This whole GC even gives them an excuse to further vent their grudge! While criticism is good, the things I've read from various dissidents can truly evolve into something counter-productive to both projects.

Also, people still seem to call GC DF done right which I find to be very a pretentious statement.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Future

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2010, 03:06:59 pm »

Ok i think we have established that GC isnt a DF clone and as the creator of GC said that its inspired by DF then does that means its actually a tribute? also for a bit of fun...Glory to the one toad! :P

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2010, 06:48:31 pm »

i like the fact that they are using libtocd for this. The Doryen project always interested me, though it is seemingly dead. But the library itself is great and I have posted links to how to make your own roguelike with python using libtocd.

And yes, I love the complexity of DF, but I don't play it much anymore. Honestly, how many of us in the "Other Games" thread spend much time playing DF anymore? I see many of us playing all sorts of games, and over the 2 or so years I have been here I can tell how much time this takes for some of us. I know some of us still play it, but, well, you know....

I hang out here because I like the taste of games that fans of DF are into. I relish complexity, depth, etc.

It's taken Toady this many years to develop the complexity of DF, no way anyone will be able to pass him up as long as he keeps coding. Someday, I hope to see DF with a sane interface.

EDIT: typos

« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 06:51:32 pm by ductape »
I got nothing

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2010, 07:03:37 pm »

i think this game will be great. i hope it turns into something like Majesty.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2010, 07:06:42 pm »

Doubt it.

EDIT: He said he wanted it to be a citybuilder type game.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2010, 07:46:30 pm »

And yes, I love the complexity of DF, but I don't play it much anymore. Honestly, how many of us in the "Other Games" thread spend much time playing DF anymore? I see many of us playing all sorts of games, and over the 2 or so years I have been here I can tell how much time this takes for some of us. I know some of us still play it, but, well, you know....

I mostly play Adventure mode, as I've said, which is where I see the true potential of DF. What with the procedurally generated ecosystems and worlds and all, which you really don't get to burn kill maim interact with properly in Fort mode.

I wonder if this is going to become a bit RTS-ish, though? That might become clunky, but I'm sure Goblin wars will come into it at some point, which should be fun. And Fun.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2010, 02:04:04 am »

I wonder if this game will put pressure on Toady to improve DF's interface. It WOULD be nice, although I'd still like anything that improves FPS as my highest priority.
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2010, 06:58:48 am »

It also seems that there may be a little more than half a dozen people already working on this entire project.

Awesome!  :)

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2010, 07:47:01 am »

I wonder if this game will put pressure on Toady to improve DF's interface. It WOULD be nice, although I'd still like anything that improves FPS as my highest priority.

Well, people have begun donating to the project. Though, I project that the amount of donations is probably somewhere in the 200 or 300+ range. Right now, I don't see any direct challenge from anyone of the GC project, because they really aren't planning of making another DF.

Until the project comes to it's fifth or third year of progress then maybe it may present something.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2010, 02:54:00 am »

0.11 is now released! Lots of bug fixes and added features.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2010, 03:21:57 am »

I really doubt Toady cares much about this. I mean, their not taking away revenue, DF is freeware. Plus both devs probably have different visions about what they want their game to become.
Hello Hunam

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2010, 06:34:43 am »

0.11 is now released! Lots of bug fixes and added features.

Awesome! I am downloading it ASAP.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2010, 02:11:19 pm »

I really doubt Toady cares much about this. I mean, their not taking away revenue, DF is freeware. Plus both devs probably have different visions about what they want their game to become.

Quite different. Toady is aiming for a hugely detailed fantasy world sim, Gencon is just aiming for a city builder. He's obviously inspired by DF but not aiming to be quite like it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5